in Cosumnes River College that teach Mathematics Edit
are you Roy Simpson?

4 Professor's Notes
09/20/2014
good
Math 401 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Clear grading criteria" "Would take again" "Skip class? You won't pass."

I had Professor Simpson for Calc one and I am taking him again currently in Calc two. He has CLEAR expectations of his students and is NOT unreasonable. His tests are not that hard I always felt the homework was harder. His tests will show if you did the homework and showed up so if you skip class and don't try you will NOT pass.

08/13/2014
good
MATH 400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Really nice guy.However his tests are extremely difficult.He said during the semester he was going to switch how he will approach teaching math, as if we and previous classes were his "test dummy's (for a lack of a better phrase).My self esteem in math went low.I took Stewart in the summer and though she is also hard,she is more better/experienced.

06/22/2014
Math 400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

The class is not online but the homework is online with webassign. The online homework is very different from the problems on exams which makes it tough to do well. He also has a big ego which interferes with trying to concentrate on the concepts at times.

06/13/2014
Math 400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

The class is very difficult and it did not seem like he wanted to take the time to answer questions when I was confused during lecture. His exams are also very different than the homework so it is hard to succeed in the course.

05/27/2014
MATH120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Do not take this professor! Only three people passed this class with a C. No A's or B's. Makes his exams way more complicated than they should be. Assumes you know everything.

03/17/2014
Math 335 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Teacher is difficult if you haven't taken math in a while. He moves fast (on exam 3 when other classes are on exam 2). Will skip things he beleives is "stright forward" so you have to find the missing steps yourself (math lab). Exam class average is 69%-72%. Gives pop quizes while he passes back old papers.

12/22/2013
good
MATH 400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Mr. Simpson is a great professor, but not an easy one. Although he is very fair and clear in teaching. I would recommend him to anyone, you will learn a lot with him and he really tries to clear things out if you have a hard time. Ways to Pass: Show up everyday, STUDY, and ask questions. Good luck. His tests are hard.

12/18/2013
good
Math 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Nice guy in class but he really seems to enjoy compiling the most difficult test possible. Enjoys teaching the conceptual stuff so that you know how to do to take the knowledge and expand it into tackling more difficult problems which is good in theory but not very nice to people like me who suck at math. Stuck it out and got a C in class.

12/07/2013
good
Math 400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Very good! Simpson is very clear and concise. He knows his stuff when it comes down to math and definitely clarifies any issues. His exams are hard (but it's math so this is a no brainer) but if you attend at all times and do the homework and ask if you need help, you will without doubt pass this class! Highly recommend Simpson.

12/07/2013
good
Math 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Simpson is by far the best math teacher I have ever had. I used to be horrible at math and it would take me forever to understand concepts. But now with him, he has changed my view of math and the way he explains things are very simple and to the point. Even if you don't understand he's more than willing to help you in a nice way.

Posted on: 05/13/14
Last Updated:

I make no illusions about the fact that I have high standards. A college degree is for the dedicated and is a statement to future employers that you have the persistence and critical thinking skills to be a major asset. If you can do no more than mimic formulas without introducing a shred of original thought, then you're done in college.

Posted on: 05/27/14
Last Updated:

Regarding comment on 5/27: The rater is absolutely correct - only 3 of the 11 students passed; however, this course was a TV course (which traditionally have VERY low pass rates due to low attendance). The traditional course taught in the same semester with the same scoring system had 11 out of 17 pass. As for the exams, they are college level.

Posted on: 06/16/14
Last Updated:

Re 6/13 comment: Math 400 is understandably a tough course for many students. Every meeting, I made sure to ask for hw questions and I constantly stopped to clarify concepts and respond to questions. The exams were actually at a difficulty level below the homework! Finally, why would I ever use hw questions on an exam? You've already done the hw.

Posted on: 06/23/14
Last Updated:

Re 6/22 comment: I admit I can come off as self-absorbed. Since that gets in the way of learning, I will make a stronger effort to change - I apologize. You mention that the hw is online, but I did online hw for Math 400 only once (and that was a while ago). The grades from THAT class were stellar - probably the highest class averages I've seen.