Claretta Tonetti at Boston University

Claretta Tonetti

Number of ratings 31 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

6/27/13

LI211

Very nice and sweet lady, really helpful and responsible. The course is somehow kind of a little bit rush because its in summer session. She teaches mostly in italian but she will explain in english for important announcements and claims. Tests are not hard if you study. Highly recommend to take the course with her!

12/11/11

LI211

Grammar lessons are given in the last five minutes of class, therefore they are rushed. She rarely stays on topic. It seems that she knows a lot but some of the facts she spouts are wrong. Nice woman, but I didn't learn Italian in her class.

5/18/11

LI283

Very sweet, calm, and passionate woman. Tells you everything you need to know in the lectures. She knows so much! Sometimes gets off topic, but tries to keep the class interested. If you can, definitely take a class with her, especially if you're an italian student. She's the only prof who didn't make me too nervous to converse in italian.

1/19/11

LI211

Very good Italian professor. Always available to help outside class. Fair grader. Also, she's really funny. She picked on me and some others in class sometimes but it was all in good fun but if you don't have a sense of humor, you won't enjoy it. Quizzes are really easy as well and she tells you what will be on them.

12/13/10

LI211

Professor Tonetti is by far the best Italian teacher that I've had since I've come to BU. She is extremely helpful, and her main goal is that her students do well. She teaches without the book a lot, but that makes it easier to learn, surprisingly. She's a very fair grader, and an overall nice lady. I highly recommend her for Italian!

12/23/09

LOVE HER.

5/21/09

ita101

I took Profesor Tonetti's class 20 years ago and remember her as being the most inteligent person I have ever met. I looked forward to going to her class every day. It was a wonderful experience.

5/13/09

LIAa

Professor Tonetti is one of the most generally knowledgeable professors I've ever had. She can speak on almost any subject and will do so frequently in class.Of course she does only does so in Italian,so open your ears! Since it's generally agreed that total immersion in a language is the best way to learn it, I think the class was very effective.

5/6/09

LI212

although her class can be challenging, professor tonetti is willing to help in absolutely any way possible. it's your own fault if you don't do well. She's nice, funny, intelligent, very approachable, and really gets to know her students. her tests are very fair. i'd def recommend her for italian, i can honestly say i've really learned the language

12/20/08

LI211

I honestly don't get most of the other comments here. I found Tonetti to be INCREDIBLY intimidating and demanding. The course itself isn't too bad, but you have to teach yourself most of the concepts as she spends most of class randomly conversing in Italian about her liberal agenda. The class isn't well organized, either. I just didn't like her.

1/10/08

Ital101

I took Italian with Dr. Tonetti 20 years ago. I still rembember her fondly. She was one of the best language teachers I have ever studied with. She is absolutely brilliant. I remember loaning her my Trivial Pursuit game over a weekend. She gave it back to me with a list of all the mistakes she found!

4/21/07

LI212

She teaches a slightly more intense and conversation-oriented class than all the other teachers I had in the past, but that's not really saying much. If you are just taking Italian to get it out of the way, there are easier professors, but if you actually want to learn I recommend Tonetti MUCH more than any other teacher.

5/12/06

LI 212

Was a really sweet professor, but I found her tests and quizzes very challenging in comparison to the other Italian classes I have taken.

12/4/05

LI 211

A great, well organized professor. Cares about her students and obviously her subject. Also, she is fairly brilliant -- well knowledged in art, history, and the humanities. She speaks Latin and Greek as well (which is amazing). Class was fun because she involves everyone with questions.

8/23/05

LI212

Less organized than Cote, but more passionate. The passionate aspect is more important as you get to higher levels of Italian, because you will learn more of the intricacies of the language and culture than the book can teach you.

5/10/05

li283

Professor Tonetti is one of my favorite BU professors. She is sweet and helpful. She is also an incredibly intelligent woman who is interesting to talk to outside of class. She is eager to help students learn and definitely cares about every student in her class.

5/6/05

li212

i have had benetti marino and cote and she is the best

3/31/05

LI211/LI212

Prof. Tonetti is an excellent teacher. She pushes you to excel. She knows when you can do better and helps you to get to your top level. Dont take her if you want an easy A, cause you must work for your grades, but after 2 semesters of her I feel like I know a lot of Italian.

3/24/05

Li 212

The best Italian teacher I've had so far!! Very funny and sympathetic, easy hw, easy quizzes, take her class if you get a chance.

2/24/05

LI

Nearly 30 years ago I was graduated from BU, and I fondly remember Prof. Tonetti's classes. Like many excellent teachers, she demanded excellence and appreciated effort and enthusiasm. Most important to me, she helped me develop a profound love of the subjunctive, which I hold to this day.

More Languages professors at Boston University