John Corcoran at University at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo)

John Corcoran

John Corcoran

Number of ratings 27 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

11/9/13

Phil 585

John's course was unforgettable.Competence in logic did not come easily to me. In John's class, I was engaged and challenged. He was a masterful logician and teacher. As a person, John was unfailingly encouraging, patient, and supportive. I might never have become competent in logic if I encountered a less willing and less able teacher.

11/7/12

Logic517

John is a teacher and an awesome person. Bring your brain. Prepare for a journey that will change your life. John helps you remember the full breadth of your question with a dynamic tour of philosophy through logic that tasks your breath away. John inspires intellectual curiosity and his class notes are priceless. Thanks John you changed my life.

11/3/12

LIN414

Socrates' "the unexamined life is not worth living" has a corollary - clarity and honesty. John Corcoran teaches people how to think: Clearly, not skipping steps; honestly, uncovering every assumption. He changed my life as a result.

8/6/12

PHIL615

John is a spectacularly good teacher. His writing is as clear as I have ever encountered, and he always makes time for clarifying difficult issues. I am a better thinker for having had him as my teacher.

8/3/12

Phi517

John has a near madness for clarity, rigor, and economy of thought and expression that is highly contagious. I didn't appreciate until I published my first paper in an elite philosophy journal just how much John had done for me.

1/6/11

PHI517

Before this course, I had close to no adequate understanding of logic. During the course, I was more confused about logic than before taking his class. However toward the end, after altering my study habits, John has proved to be the most important teacher thus far in my education. In the past I had no interest in logic, now I believe it vital.

12/19/10

PHI517

If easy means you don't have to work, he's hard. If easy means he starts at the beginning, says exactly what he means, and is truly invested in helping you succeed, John is the easiest professor I have studied with. John's classes taught me to consider every word I type/say. My LSAT increased 18 points to a 177 after John's classes. Many thanks!

12/8/10

PHIL519

John is a delight to work with. Logic is very dear to him and this comes through in his teaching. He knows his stuff too.

10/24/10

PHIL517

John C has shaped my intellectual foundations for both precise writing and clear thinking more than any one else in my academic training. His ability to explain logical and philosophical concepts in deceptively simple common language is unmatched in my experience, and is an ideal towards which I always strive. Forgot my grade, but it's irrelevant!

9/28/10

PHI517

Best course I have taken. It is good preparation for a graduate student wishing to teach logic. Clear terminology used precisely. The central concepts are well covered. I would also recommend it to those who have taken mathematical logic courses and want to relate what they have learnt to philosophy. Watch out! It is deceptively simple.

8/5/10

PHI517

I like John better than others, though John singlehandedly robbed me of my ability to speak leisurely with other human beings. He's an intelligent and unique teacher, able to teach profound material with clarity. I would strongly recommend his class.

8/4/10

PHI000

Intro to Logic for Advanced students was probably the most useful single course I have taken in my life.

7/29/10

PHI517

I learned a tremendous amount in Corcoran's courses, and I still use his lessons about logic and language almost every day. Moreover, as a teacher myself now, I have gained a special appreciation for the innovative teaching methods he uses. Very challenging, but also very caring and very effective - in short, one of the best professors I ever had.

7/28/10

PHI517

Corcoran may be the best teacher I've ever had. The course demands constant work. You must pay attention when you write and talk. He will correct you until you improve your answers and clarify the concepts you use. Thanks to his exams and note-taking assignments I realized I didn't really know some of the basic logical notions.

7/26/10

PHIL519

Particularly memorable about the course was the challenging (and fun, in a logic-class sort of way) multiple choice exams. If you've taken one, you remember. They are not of the choose A, B, C, or D variety.

7/26/10

PHL401

An inspiration.

PHI510

I took this class during my first semester of graduate school. Years later I can honestly say that what I learned is still immensely valuable in my own teaching and research. The assignments demand a lot of effort, but make you a much better thinker.

PHI607

Excellent Professor. Not easy at all, but well worth it if you aren't scared of actually learning something.

PHI510

Yes, it is a hard class, but that is for your benefit. This is the best class to take as a beginning graduate student. It will teach you to take graduate studies seriously (and that they are NOT like undergraduate courses). Corcoran expects you to mean what you say and say what you mean. He gives back exactly that.

7/24/10

Phi517

This course has a reputation of being the toughest one in the philosophy graduate school curriculum. I took it for just that reason, for the challenge. To by surprise and pleasure, I learned techniques of clear thinking and expression that I now apply to life in general.

More Philosophy professors at University at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo)