in Vanderbilt University that teach Chemistry Edit
Jeffrey Johnston
Professor in the Chemistry department
at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
are you Jeffrey Johnston?

12/16/2013
good
CHEM 218a Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Johnston is a genius. Taking freshman orgo with an award winning organic chemist was inspiring. Doesn't believe in the weedout class mentality, and visibly puts remarkable effort into his teaching. Oh yeah- he had a brush with death over thanksgiving and still showed up to our final, receiving ovation from the class... Swag.

06/28/2011
good
CHEM220B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Struggled with this class at first but after I realized that all the tests follow the same format (you will see what I mean if you take his class) it became so much simpler. Probably one of the best professors I have ever had. He teaches his material very well and his tests emphasize understanding over memorization. Definitely recommend taking him

09/22/2009
good
CHEM220b Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Johnston is great. Got an A with very little work, and orgo was definitely not my best subject before his class. What you need to do is read the book before class, pay attention during class, and look over your notes before the exam. Understand the CONCEPTS and memorize only the essentials. Don't waste your time memorizing little inane details.

03/23/2009
good
Chem220B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

It's true the averages in Johnston are low, but for the life of me I can't understand why. I took Michelle Sulikowski last semester and had to memorize memorize memorize just for an A-. Johnston's class is so easy in comparison, as long as you understand what's going on...no work involved after that.

03/03/2009
CHEM220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Johnson is a terrible professor! our last exam average was a 50%, and he told the class he was disappointed in us. I garauntee that the 150 kids in the class studied their asses off for this exam- he pulls test questions out of god knows where, you just cant depend on the lectures to let you know what you need to study for the test.

01/07/2009
good
CHEM220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I love him!!! He is super funny, better than rizzo and sulikowski. Take him if possible!!!! He's AMAZING!! :)

08/08/2008
CHEM220B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Hardest Teacher Ever. He is unhelpful in lecture, but you have to go and write stuff down otherwise you'll have no idea what could possibly be yanked out of the book and put on the test. By the way the curve is fake, the point ranges he gives you on syllabus is a lie, the real curve is on the front. I no longer love orgo, and I'm a chem major.

07/29/2008
CHEM220B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Probably the worst teacher I have ever had in my life. Is extremely confusing and unclear, and to top it off his tests are impossible. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

05/06/2008
OrgChem Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

His tests are exceptionally difficult, and although there is a huge curve the class is still pretty miserable. Also, Professor Johnston doesn't really like to follow the book and seemed to have difficulty bringing his lectures down to a level we could understand.

04/24/2008
Chem220b Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He's quite simply the hardest teacher I've had. Not because of the material but because I don't understand what's going on, I just have a list of stuff that happens. His curve helps but you still have to do decent if you want something good for medschool. Try to get 120-150 on his tests and you'll be fine though.