Joy Zhao at El Camino College

Joy Zhao

Number of ratings 118 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

2/28/14

English 1C

This is the worst online class I have taken. This professor has put too many time constraints on an online class. Why am I spending so much time on the discussion portion of the class? You get two tries for a test but you don't get the results of the first to improve. I strive for A's but I am willing to accept a C to be free of this class.

1/21/14

ENG1A

Honestly people.. I don't know what your problem with her is... she tries to be funny, she is helpful, 100+++ bonus points. If you don't get an A you are retarded. The only time she gets frustrated is when people act like idiots in class.. we all know who those few are that drive teachers crazy. Act like an adult and she will treat you as one.

1/7/14

english 1A

Honestly, she is very confusing with her assignments.. But she is very easy A+. If u need to take eng 1A... just take her. She will be frustrating and confusing to reason out..but easy A i tell u. Just go to class everyday and do what she tells u to do... there's no trick or trap.make sure to do the bonus assignments!theres over 100 bonus points!

12/19/13

English 1A 6410

She is smart and well educated but she has a strong chines accent, therefore, she is extremely difficult to understand. Forget asking her to clarify anything because her explanation will confuse you even more and if you express your confusion, she'll get very agitated with you and others. She does not realize how difficult she is to understand.

12/11/13

English 1a

She was a terrible teacher. So rude and not helpful AT ALL!!! I would email and try to keep in contact to better understand questions and she would always reply with a rude one word response. For example - I emailed her asking how i could do better in her online class. she responded "I have faith in you" thanks for teaching me nothing.

6/17/13

ENG1A

Very kind professor. She does try to make the class easy. However, she does not explain the assignments well sometimes it gets confusing. She grades the essays kind hard. ATTEND CLASS EVERYTIME TO GET BONUS POINTS. Easy A if u do all the work she assigns in time.

6/8/13

Open

Professor Zhao is a very caring teacher. She wants her students to succeed. Enjoyed her course online pretty challenging to me but she explained everything. Enjoyed her class! She also offers tons of extra credit

5/15/13

English1A

She doesn't know how to explain what her assignments are. She has a problem with being focused. She skips from subject to subject.When asks to clarify, she still can't explain. What she teaches (sometimes) has nothing to do with English

2/1/13

ENG1C4622

This is an online course. Lots of assignments. She grades hard but provides opportunities for extra credit. Feel free to question her MLA references as she was wrong on ellipses and she may be wrong on others--just double check first! Tests: copy first (of 2) chance and then look up the answers--no way you can do test in time allotted.

12/8/12

ENGL1C

Worst teacher I have ever had. Confusing, contradictory instructions, not helpful with feedback, is late on grading. She is teaching a class on critical thinking and logic, but is illogical, insults the students with her comments, changes requirements as the class proceeds. She should not be teaching a college level course.

11/28/12

Eng1C

I took her online because I am a lazy person and I get distracted super fast. She was easy but A LOT of work. I was not expected so much writing because it's online. But other than that it's very easy.

9/2/12

ENG1C

This teacher is extremely rude,unhelpful,unclear on her instructions and many of her assignments are not clarified until the due date.SHE WAS THE WORST TEACHER I HAVE EVER HAD!

8/27/12

ENGL1A

Prof. Zhao is extremely encouraging. She offers so much extra credit and provides many opportunities to improve, so almost anyone who completes the work and follows directions is sure to do well. My only complaint relates to the comments on tests. I took the online class and it was often difficult to tell when I answered incorrectly the reasoning.

6/18/12

Eng1A

The worst professor I ever had in my entire academic history. She will have you do group projects which are similar to the work children do in elementary school. Not the level of a college English student. She should not be teaching.

4/30/12

Eng1A

She's terrible! Her instructions are confusing, she's boring and talks so much... The number 1 thing I remember from taking her class is when she gave an assignment which almost EVERYONE completed, but only about 2 did it to her satisfaction, simply because no one had understood her confusing instructions. Then she got mad at us for it.

12/21/11

Engli1C

I worked an average of 5 hours daily on this class. She was rude,useless comments, tons of work. She shouldn't be teaching at all.

8/22/11

ENG1A

Took this class online, professor was cool. Gave a lot of extra credit. Her directions were very unclear, along with her comments on each of the tests, quizzes, essays and projects. Took during summer session and it was very easy! definatly reccomeded.

5/26/11

Eng1A

She was an awesome teacher! She gives you so much extra credit over 100 points! So if you really want an A you can. She walks you through the essays and she does a lot of group activities and everyone gets really involved in class.She is very nice and as long as you show up to class you will get a good grade u get extra credit for good attendance

2/14/11

Engli1

I'm super glad I ended up in her class! (She was my last option.) As long as you do your reading and do your essays, you'll be fine: She walks you through your essay writing:Fairly easy grading standards!(I ended up with a B in the class, which is what I expected): Gives out extra credit. Overall, a good teacher :) no lie lol

9/28/10

ENGL1

Very childish teaching methods. Constantly makes you feel like your doing something wrong. Her assignments as well as her 3 textbooks (that she wrote herself, and makes you purchase) lack focus and direction. Everything learned in 1A and 1B gets thrown out of the window to make room for her delusional teaching style.

9/28/10

C1

Possibly the worst English teacher I've ever had. She demands an excessive course load that is meaningless and a waste of valuable time and mental capacity. Also no matter how hard you try she will always find flaws and request them to be fixed with unclear advice and directionless babble.

5/14/10

ENG1A

This teacher has got to be the easiest english teacher at El Camino. She offers so much extra credit that even if you do bad on the essays, you will still get an A. In all, she offers about 100 extra credit points in class, just do that, and you're almost guaranteed an A! Such a nice teacher, even offered candy during our final! :)

4/20/10

ENG1a

Not only is she unorganized, but she is extremely UNhelpful. Her accent is extremely difficult to understand. Considering my parents have a heavy accent, i found it difficult putting together what she was trying to tell us. She's the worst professor ive ever had. EXTREMELY NOT RECOMMENDED, especially for English 1a.

12/22/09

Eng1A

I got an A in this class because she gave out so many bonus points! 10 bonus points for perfect attendance. AND do your work. do extra and she gives you 5 bonus points. DO MORE OF WHAT SHE ASKS OF YOU and she will be extremely impressed. read her books. the books are no more than $100! go to writing center to get essays checked. very recommended!

12/21/09

Excellent

11/11/09

ENG1A

She's a nice professor and she makes clear what she wants on the assignments you turn in. Even if you're not the best writer, there's a lot of extra credit, make sure to take advantage of it (around 100 Extra Credit points total, which is worth one whole essay). You won't learn much if you know the basics of English, though.

8/11/09

Eng1AC

She is a great teacher, had lots of extra credit and for an online class it was not as stressful as others, I highly recommend her and I have her books for sale if you need them hit me up at geee888sus aol com

6/22/09

ENGL1A

I took Dr. Zhao's class in the fall of 2008. She does a great job walking you through the steps required to write a college essay. Her class is hard to do poorly in. All you have to do is do the work. The only thing she needs improve upon is teaching how to write a research paper. Overall I learned a lot in her class.

5/31/09

engl4622

Probably the worst teacher I have ever had to deal with. I am pretty reasonable and easy going. This teacher is rated as poor due to inconsistent due dates, and very subjective quizzes. Due dates for material were moved up and extended/pushed back. All e-mails to her were replied with a smart-alic reply. Very unprofessional and unorganized class.

5/4/09

Eng1A

Dr.Zhao is a great English teacher. She is very caring and she makes her class enjoyable to be in. I have read the other ratings and could not disagree more. If you pay attention in class and actually participate, you should have no problem passing. Yes, her accent is a little difficult at times, but it's not bad at all if you're paying attention.

3/6/09

ENG1C

I took Dr. Zhao's English 1C class online during the fall semester of 2008. She was an awesome online teacher. The class was very straight forward and she gave a ton of extra credit opportunities. She wanted all her students to succeed. It is a college course so it does require some work but I would definitely take her online class for English 1C!

2/17/09

ENG1A

I took Dr. Zhao?s winter online class. It was my first online class and I really enjoyed it. Yes, the class was fast paced and tough, but Dr. Zhao is very helpful and encouraging. As for the class, we all helped each other. I highly recommend taking Dr. Zhao?s online class.

6/13/08

eng1c

People are way too rough on her. Its college so yes it requires work. I took an online class and there was a weekly discussion..easy. 5 quiz,5 papers, final and revisions. Lots of extra credit. As long as you put forth the effort you will pass. The only complaint I had is she answers questions with question with can be irritating. But I got an A.

6/6/08

ENG1A

Her class was awful. She teaches English Grammar and for some reason, has terrible grammar herself. This class was a complete and utter waste of time. Do not take this class. Her text books, published and written by her, are completely useless. She talks to students like they are small children.

5/30/08

ENG1A

Dr. Zhao is an extremely passionate teacher. She is one of my most favorite teachers. Her class is hard but she gives out a lot of extra credit assignments so you have to be lazy to not pass her class. She has a bit of an accent but she makes sure that you understand what she's trying to say. She will help you with whatever you need. Great teacher.

5/30/08

ENG1C

I took the online class. She is not very clear on what you have to do. It's a lot of work. Weekly discussions, about 5 quizes (not easy) and total of 5 essays. You have to be consistent and ambitious to get an A.The whole semester she promotes to be open minded and you realize that she is very close minded person - contradicion!!!

5/22/08

Eng1a

Very dedicated, encouraging, and optimistic. Believes all her students have great potential. I didnt learn much though cus I pretty much knew them 4rm High School.Offers MANY extra credits. its ridiculous! Best part is, she sometimes makes class OPTIONAL to give students an opportunity to work on their essays.

5/20/08

eng101

This teacher isn?t all that bad, she is a little hard to understand but I think that was entertaining. Her books pretty much make it impossible to fail. I am a total slacker and I passed the class with a C+. I actually had an argument for a B. Fairly easy class.

10/2/07

Eng1A

She was such a nice reasonable teacher. I took her online class and I missed the dead line for the first assignments, but she was really nice and encouraged me to stay in the class. I ended up getting an A even though I missed one assignment and turned one in late...she is extremely nice and helpful.

8/28/07

eng1a

Very good instructor. Very clear as to what she expects from the students. Reasonable workload. Her assignments are very interesting.

3/31/07

engli1c

shows up late often, keeps class extra time, closed minded

2/12/07

Engl1c

Wonderful teacher...Helpful and knowledgeable, offeres many bonus oppurtunities for extra credit....Easy class while you learn a lot too...perfect combination!

2/11/07

Eng1C

She is VERY good teacher, teaches English but also challenges you to take one more step towards the real world. She is NOT EASY, yet if you pay attention and do BONUS (which is a lot), you will get easy B at least. I passed this class with A, but I tried really hard for it. You may not like it, but after class is over, all things makes sense.

1/21/07

ENGcSECT

I don't usually complain about my classes/teachers, but this teacher is ridiculous. She treats you like your in second grade, puts you down for asking questions, and never admits when she is wrong (which happens very often.) She is unclear, forgets things, and is just overall a bad teacher. Not an easy A and you learn nothing! Beware of this class

1/14/07

Englhnrs

I loved Dr. Zhao. She is the only teacher who taught me how to write an essay. I hated english at first, but then after her class, I am considering it a minor in college. She is always smiling and encouraging. She can be unclear at times but she is still good. Those sad faces you see below are from those lazy ass people who complain alot.

12/19/06

Eng4847

just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I was not only challenged to think but encouraged to enjoy learning. Her approach to teaching caused me to change the way I think about the learning process. I'm actually looking forward to my political science class. She is an excellent professor and I thank her for showing me how to be a crit

12/19/06

Enghnrs

She forgot to tell us vital information regarding assignments or even where to meet. The final exam was on information taught to us in one day because we were like 3 weeks behind schedule! If we didn't pass the final she said we didn't pass the class, and she said that only 2 people passed. You will just have to re-take the class if you take her.

12/13/06

Eng1a

I love the English. However, how Zhao teaches this class is disappointing. You learn vocabulary terms she "made-up" rather than understanding English grammar and punctuation. Do not take this class. It is not her accent that makes her teaching method disappointing, it is because her teaching method teaches nothing noteworthy.

11/30/06

eng6324

this is a stupid class. she is hard to understand and does expect you to know what she is talking about. essays and finals sucked

11/28/06

ENGL1A

I don't know how any of you can write good reviews. She's a psychic and can therefore pick our groups for us. She speaks English that is hard to understand. She seems to care for her students, but doesn't know what she's talking about most of the time. I ask her what we are supposed to do on a project and she says "present". Terrible, stay away

11/3/06

Engl1a

A bit hard. Others were ok.

9/28/06

ENG0000

this is by far the worse class i have ever taken. i did not learn anything and she expects you to know everything.she puts you down if you need help! please do not take this class!

9/24/06

engli1

so bad, uses her own books that suck, she barely speaks english. you never really have a clue what she expects on her assignments. avoid like the plague

9/5/06

eng1

Oh my God, who wrote the last few reviews? (Dr Zhao ?) I did not meet one student with anything positive to say about this professor. Horrible class and even wose professor.

8/23/06

ENG6369

ok teacher, very helpful but can be confusing and sometimes boring. Is polite and most of the time talkative.

8/11/06

English 1C

A very responsible teacher who truly cares about her students future. Her class is tough but you do learn real stuff. Some students do not like her because she is too demanding. Good students love her, and bad lazy students hate her. Hard teachers are hard to like, but I like her a lot.

7/1/06

English 1A

Dr. Zhao is a great English teacher. I learned al ot in her class, and she is was very helpful. If you do your work, and show up for classes, she doesn't give you a hard time. She believes in reaching for your goals, and committing yourself to her class. I would take her class again anytime :)

6/15/06

Engl 1C

Ridiculously easy course! Write about yourself. Be conscious of your grammer and punctuation. Ace the course; there's no reason not to. Well, I guess if you don't know the language then it might be a problem...

6/15/06

ENG 1C

Very good in helping her students. Just don't be late to class.You will learn things about the fallacies in her class . She is very good in this field. And her work is not hard.

6/14/06

Eng 1C

Nice lady, always has a smile on her face. good teacher, a bit confussing sometimes, but overall a nice experience. gives a lot of extra credit opportunities.

6/14/06

ENG 1C

A positive attitude, determination, and only your best will help you pass this class. Dr.Zhao is graceful, patient and assists you in discovering more than the writer in you. If you want your money's worth a grade then she's the teacher you're looking for. She cares for her students and everyone needs to be cared for.Attendance is IMPORTANT!

6/12/06

ENGLiSH 1A

she's the businesss!!!!!!!! she's very easy yet very thoughtful teacher ....

6/9/06

english 1a

very good teacher that challenges you to do your best

6/9/06

English 1C

Dr. Zhao is dedicated to helping her students improve their crirical thinking and writing skills. Personally I have become a much better writer thanks to Dr. Zhao.

6/8/06

Eng 1A

The first impression of Dr. Zhao may not be accurate. In the beginning of the semester I struggle to understand her teaching methods. After I understood what was expected the class was much better. Communication is everything. Dr. Zhao is dedicated to teaching and appreciates students that are prepared to learn. I would take a class w/Zhao again.

6/7/06

English 1C

She is a great teacher, but bit comfusing on giving instruction on assignments. If you don't understand certain thing, ask her, she will explain it to you again. One of the best advice for her class, get into a good group and it will help you with your grade.

6/5/06

engl lc

Dr. Zhao really wants to learn to write in a critical way and is an excellent teacher.

6/5/06

Eng 1C

She is a wonderful teacher who truly cares about her students. She is always ready to help you in any way she can and she does go the extra mile if needed. She gives enough time to complete assignments and offers bonus points. All in all she is a great teacher

6/4/06

ENGL. 1C

Well I had a great time in her class even though at times she can be a bit confusing, if you just ask her she'll respond! My advice to passing her class with a high grade is making sure to get into a good group in class! I was lucky cause I had a tight group everyone did their part and were'nt shy to participate. Also she offers a bunch of bonus po

5/19/06

English 1A

She is a teacher who really teaches you what you need to know to be successful. I feel if you are a good student, you can learn a lot from her class. At first I did not like the way she teaches, later I love it.

5/18/06

English 1A

seems like she totally bombed on teaching 1A. Shes just really unclear to what she wants. She does peer reviews on the essays and doesnt look at what youre writing until she grades it. Which is really unhelpful.

4/18/06

Eng 1C

She is a good teacher that will keep you focused. If you don't focus... you won't understand a word she's saying. Her essays are done step by step with each section done in class or as homework. Then it's up to you to put it together into an essay(without any direction/assignment sheet)If you need help ask, but you'll probably end up more confused.

2/17/06

English 1C

Not an easy teacher, however, she does assign a lot of work so you are able to recieve many opportunities for points. Very vague about instructions since she doesn't give any handouts for essay assignments. She teaches her students to be open-mineded, however, she does not seem very acceptable to others' opinions that differ from hers. She's nic

2/7/06

ENG 1C

Best English Professor I have had yet. I left this class feeling confident in my future endeavors and proud of my new and advanced writing skills. If you are serious about a 'real' education and want to experience new heights; this is the class. If you are one to settle for mediocrity that is your own making. Thank you Dr. Zhao

1/9/06

Never take her!!!!

12/1/05

eng 1c

no professional skills

11/16/05

English1a

ridiculous. Teacher can't even speak english...complete paradox. Doesn't take any other peoples view or opinions into considerations. Loves to give lectures on how you should live your life rather than teach the damn class

11/16/05

ENG 1A

A class that you can easily get bored of, but if you attend her classes regularly, the class shouldn't be hard to pass. She gives out many 'bonus points' which helps out if you want an A in the class. The language barrier is a bit annoying. ITs recommended to ask her questions after class since she answers them better to your understanding.

11/11/05

engl 1 a

Really bad prof, not helpful at all, talks down to students, and does not compromise with students at all. The worst english prof!

10/15/05

English 1 C

Ohh my god!!! I thought it was just me she HATED and who DIDN'T UNDERSTAND... Although at the end of class everyone is huddling together trying to understand the assignment she just gave...It's definately a class you have to focus on...cuz it seems if you rely on her understanding... You're screwed!

10/15/05

English 1C

I believe as a English 1A teacher she would be okay, but her teaching style is more geared for younger classes. I do not like the emphasis on grammer that she insists on, as i thought this was a critical thinking class.

9/19/05

english

just read the other comments with sad faces. i agree.

8/31/05

English 1A

Her accent is awsome and shes a crazy sci fi fan. She was very entertaining teacher which helped keep me interested while in class.

6/9/05

English 1C

"What did she say?"....... that's her class motto. you have to buy her stupid books, and she treats students like little kids. please dont take her.......... unless you feel like sleeping.

12/25/04

Eng

11/30/04

english 1c

has language barrier but otherwise good teacher. i thought her accent was cute and i passed with an A. obviously it depends on the student.she tried to make us understand

11/22/04

English 1C

She teaches kindergarden right?? NO? well thats is exactly how she taught this college course. I felt like I was 5. Her group work was pointless and annoying! her accent is even worse. If you want to go bald from pulling your hair out due to frustration.. take this class! (target has lots of rogain)

11/21/04

ENG 1C

I can't believe there are teachers like that in college. I don't think they should let her teach critical thinking as she thinks there is only ONE correct answer for everything. You will learn about herself and grammar, I do not recommend her for any critical thinking class.

11/18/04

English 1A

Excellent teacher once you get past her accent. I was sceptical at first, but she is extremely knowledgeable and turned my opinion of her around completely. Team projects are a must, but they were enlightning projects.

8/15/04

Rater Interest

People were waaay too hard on her. If you show up(even though it's boring) and pay close attention you will learn a lot about English(even though she doesn't speak it well). She can't help her accent and she just wants students to apply themselves.

7/14/04

Rater Interest

Do yourself a favor, do not take this course or any other taught by this instructor, although it is easy because of the abundance of extra credit, you will be in a constant state of frustration dealing with her. Also, she is ignorant and lacks manners.

7/13/04

Rater Interest

Only one thing to say about her... She teaches out of her own books!!! Lame...

7/12/04

Rater Interest

AT LEAST 3 times in her class you will ask yourself-- what did she just say? Writing good essays is a must (something like 1/2 your grade). She offers lots of extra credit because her assignments are stupid and everyone does poorly on them.

7/5/04

eng 1A

Rater Interest

British chinese is Interesting but impossible to understand. Assignments are juvinile and below a college english class. If you can get past being bored out of your mind and unable to understand anything, very easy.

6/30/04

Rater Interest

I think she is better than most teachers, she is clear and keeps students very focused.

6/20/04

Rater Interest

She has got to be one of the worst english teachers on campus. You can't understand a word she says, not to mention the fact that you can't understand the assignments. If you ask her for help, she just gives you the run around. Basically...I HATE her!!!!!

6/11/04

Rater Interest

Teaches English 1A for pacifier toting grade schoolers. The class is not for serious English students. It is slow and "Humorously Awful" (pun on her book "Humorously Serious". Don't take this class - Seriously.

6/2/04

Rater Interest

Cool Teacher! Very helpful. Nice and Understanding.

5/13/04

Rater Interest

This class is really easy but she can be very confusing. She is really into class participation and group work, so if you don't like to work with others then this is not a class for you.

5/6/04

5/5/04

eng 1c

Rater Interest

SOMEBODY SHOOT ME PLEASE!!! If you join this class, get ready to be confused. You'll be so lost you're gonna wish somebody gave you a Chinese compass. None of the essays are easy to put together, because she can't even understand herself!!!

3/30/04

Rater Interest

Her class is easy if you like to write; most importantly, students have to suit her taste. Her accent is somehow British+Chinese, but it's ok for me! I learn a lot of stuffs from here that really influenced my college writings in other subjects.

2/10/04

Rater Interest

Honestly, just show up for one day. All of your fears are accurately founded. Now... run away.

12/19/03

english

12/16/03

Rater Interest

Her accent is hard at first, but you get used to it...well sort of. You would like to believe that an English teacher would speak English correctly. She also treats the class like children and treats the class as a self-help class. Not too great.

11/20/03

Eng

Rater Interest

I used to work at the El Camino Writing Centre. For anyone who has never been in, we help students with papers and such. Pro. Zhao has yet to assign a paper with a correct assignment sheet, causing students to NOT be able to get any sort of help.

10/26/03

Rater Interest

Dr.Zhao is a wonderful English Teacher. She is very caring and if you tell her your having problems she will help you get through them. I have read the other ratings and they should have tried to talk to her. I did and it worked.

10/21/03

english 1C

Rater Interest

BEWARE~! her teaching method is very childish. she tells us to buy some stupid workbooks, that are written by her~ (she thinks theyre humorous *rolls eyes*) AND her accent is torture! all i do in that class is DOODLE/sleep til the bell.

9/30/03

ENG A1

Rater Interest

I had her for English A1. She is very hard to understand for some people. However, you will most likely get over it. She is unhelpful and very foggy on the details of some essays. Avoid her at all costs.

8/23/03

1A

Rater Interest

Though it was an easy class, she dropped a research paper on us with less than a week. So the last week was really stressful. Overall a terrible class. YIKES! Beware!

7/16/03

eng 1a

Rater Interest

she is very sensitive about her accent and gets easily irritated with the students because she thinks they are making fun of her. The truth is that she is hard to understand and the textbooks are more of a guide to college life instead of english.

6/12/03

eng 1C

does not speak clearly.

6/8/03

1C

5/8/03

ang 1a

Rater Interest

one of the worst classes I've ever taken. English teachers should be required to speak clearly. Very very easy though.

5/7/03

1A

Rater Interest

she is chinese but speaks english with a British accent. It's pretty confusing at first, and the curriculumis juvinile, but I don't think that's really her fault. All in all a pretty easy class

3/24/03

Rater Interest

Cannot speak English clearly enough to understand. Requires too many textbooks for class, and they aren't used that often.

3/14/03

Rater Interest

Easy class, depends on whether you want to do the work or not. Just keep up.

1/18/03

Rater Interest

Quite simply, she is the worst teacher that I have ever had.

More English professors at El Camino College