Mel Yoken at University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth

Mel Yoken

Number of ratings 30 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

3/28/13

French 201

Yoken was the best of the best. He is the main reason why I am currently a French teacher in the Boston area.

10/17/12

FRENC461

I had Prof. Yoken for six classes and never rated him, but I'm writing now because I want him to know how much I appreciate the inspiration and knowledge I received when I was his student for three years, 2000-2003.I am now a French teacher in Virginia, and always mention him when my students ask me what made me what to be a teacher of French.

5/25/12

Frenc302

I am writing from New York City where I'm a French teacher and have had a wonderful career teaching thanks to Dr. Yoken's guidance, support and advice. He was one of the best and one of the most beloved professors at the then SMU. Better late than never about this comment!

11/27/11

Frenc301

As a senior citizen, I took many French courses with Dr. Yoken between 1995-2005, and never commented. I am today, because he inspired me and all of us who were lucky enough to come in contact with him and his outstanding teaching. My son, now a lawyer, was also his student and he concurs wholeheartedly with me.

7/28/11

FR302

I'm now teaching French in high school thanks to Prof. Yoken's help. He was the best teacher I ever had at UMD, and I'll never forget him!

7/17/09

FRenc456

I'm from France and returned yesterday to the University to see Prof.Yoken. So sorry to hear he's retired. He did more than anyone to advance the French program and was definitely someone whom I greatly respected and adored.

7/5/09

Frenc302

A brilliant teacher who was one of the best and he is sorely missed!.........A French major

11/21/06

FRN102

2/7/06

French 301

Professor Yoken is amazing. He knows his stuff better than any French professor I've ever had. He takes his work very seriously, but is always willing to help whenever you ask. He also is extremely committed to his students, and especially to those who show an interest in the subject.

12/1/05

All French

One of the best teachers you'll ever have---sincerely caring, big-hearted... (takes his classes out to eat frequently). His passion is absolutely beyond question; he is obsessed with the French language and literature. A great teacher, and a good mentor, though he is very hard pressed you help you outside of class due to his being constantly busy.

5/17/05

FRN 202

He's a nice guy, who loves french. He expects alot out of all his students. He goes over the material a bunch of times so you get it. Tests are hard, study hard! Class participation counts for 60% of grade so its hard to know how you'll do in the class.

12/24/04

French 201

Not a great teacher, he grades kind of arbitrarily and doesn't really help you know what to expect grade wise. He definitly expects more out of you than most students really have the time for. If you're gonna be a french major though, I suggest him, he's a really great guy.

12/10/04

301/302 & sem.

Intense is a good word to describe him. Very intelligent and nice, but IMO not a good teacher. A lot of what he talked about in the class was not on the test. And the banging on the board is scary when you're in the front rows. I changed my major from French after three semesters of this guy.

12/10/04

FRN 201

He's an intense teacher and makes me want to learn. Exams are all in same format. He reviews for at least one whole class before each exam. Very helpful. Makes you feel very comfortable to ask questions even if you think they're stupid ones. Not easy but if you put in a little effort you'll do fine.

10/21/04

FRN

6/28/04

frn

Rater Interest

Very friendly nice guy. He's extremely enthusiastic about culture and all things French and this comes across in his teaching. His lectures are a little disorganized, but I did learn a lot in his class. He's definitely recommended.

5/18/04

FRN 301

Rater Interest

Amazing mind. Genuinely enjoys the French laguage & has a real interest in teaching his students. Uses repetition to help make learning easier and fun. Tough professor, but worth it.

4/30/04

french 201

Rater Interest

hes is the worst teacher ever, at time he acts crazy banging on the board and screaming, not recomended

2063818
12/2/03

FRENCH 415

Rater Interest

Lives in his own world. Knows his stuff but not a good mentor.

10/30/03