John A. Lee at College of William and Mary

John A. Lee

Number of ratings 15 / Average Grade:  B+ Submit a correction

1/10/14

Art 211

He loves what he does and tries to help you any way he can. You do not need to be an expert to enjoy this class. He's engaging with his students and will go to each student at least once per class to guide them. He's particular about what he wants. You will have to invest a lot of time in the studio. He's given me a new appreciation for art.

1/16/13

ART2D

Solid teacher, he'a little hard to understand sometimes but once he explains himself again, it makes sense and he actually values art for what it is instead of making it just instruction. You'll learn as much as you want, grading is on improvement not quality. Take him for GER or actual interest, good either way.

12/7/12

ART315

A great professor with a defined method that is insightful and interested. Although constraining in that he only teaches a certain impressionist way of seeing, Lee's teaching leaves from for creativity within the realization of the projects. I was very happy with his class and would definitely take another course with him.

12/28/11

art211

He is a very tough grader when it comes to art. Projects are a bit boring but my skills had improved by the end of the class. Would not recommend for a GER.

12/11/11

ART211

Came in with drawing experience but still learned a lot. The projects he gives us are often tedious (we spent over nine hours drawing a box for one project), but nonetheless I learned a lot and my drawing and painting skills have improved. I wouldn't recommend this class to someone who just wants to fulfill a GER

5/31/11

ART211

i came into this class with a little drawing experience, and i learned so much from him. he helped me appreciate the 2D world of art more! he's a very good teacher, and i think many can expect to learn a lot, at least learn from a different perspective!

3/29/11

ART211

He's a great guy, gives constructive feedback, and makes hilarious comments if you're listening. He's serious about improving your art, and you'll definitely get better over the course of the semester. I thought I knew how to draw going in, but re-learned lots of techniques. Bottom line, if you're interested in the class, he's a great professor.

3/20/11

Art211

Even though I draw fairly well, this class was not an easy A. I put a lot of effort outside of class to do well on the homework assignments. At least there was no "final" drawing assignment. The professor was helpful, but seemed too focused on his own technique of drawing and most of the lass consisted of drawing boxes and toilet paper.

11/4/10

ART211

I absolutely adore John Lee. He goes out of his way to help students and is just an all around great guy. His dry sense of humor always kept me hanging on to his every word. The class was challenging, but I love art so I did well. As long as you try hard, listen to what he says, and show improvement, you'll do fine.

2/11/10

ART211

First of all, he's REALLY gorgeous. Second, he's knowledgeable. He's also one of the most passionate professors I've ever met. And he will set you up with all you need to know to succeed in art with fundamental skills.

1/15/10

Art2D

This guy is very quiet but he has a lot to tell you if you ask about the art. He uses a very classical method of teaching 2D Foundations, starting with lines and figures, measuring the still life etc.. if you are serious about getting your basics right, take him.

5/18/09

ART211

He's actually very nice and grades mainly based on improvement and effort. Some of his concepts are hard to grasp but if you seek for help he will do his best to help you. If you have to miss class, then he will go out of his way to help you make up work you missed in class. Overall, he really cares about his students, he gives second chances!

10/25/08

ART211

He's a stoic, quiet guy, but he's actually nice. When he explains concepts, sometimes it's difficult to understand because it's, well, art, but true effort shows and if you work hard, you'll get a good grade. I spend about 4-7 hours on art assignments, and I get relatively good comments, but that's just me. He's funny, but you have to listen close.

9/2/08

ART211

He started off by telling us that just because it's an art class, it will "not be easy", and that even if we do all the work and can draw "like Michael Angelo" the most he'll give is a C unless our work is truly "dynamic". Our assignment was to draw 6 feet that express emotion (A sad foot? A happy foot? A jealous foot?)... I dropped out.

8/12/08