in University of South Florida that teach English Edit
are you Heather Meakin?
1.6

08/21/2014
good
ENL4341 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Meakin is absolutely brilliant. After you spend time in class you will realize that while tough and demanding, she is one of the best Lit professors at USF. She genuinely cares about her students' success and not just achieving a bell curve. She has no problem with giving you an A if you do the work. She makes you realize your true potential.

09/22/2013
ENL3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Meakin's tests are so confusing and have nothing to do with the material. We read Beowulf, and the test on Beowulf had a JRR Tolkien quote that you have to complete...WHAT?! I am an English major and I am dying in this course it is THAT boring. Tests are irrelevant to the material discussed. Do not take her!

09/22/2011
ENL3000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I got an A but I'm really not sure how. Her lectures/grading were incomprehensible! She ended up having to take on another professor's class at the same time, and I think she got tired of grading and gave A's. Wouldn't recommend her unless you LOVE Brit Lit Like, enough to write Anglo-Saxon riddles and poems. Let's you re-do work sometimes though.

01/12/2011
good
LIT3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Never have a seen a Professor less deserving of such harsh criticisms. Professor Meakin is an excellent Professor and is very passionate about her subject. Her class is far from impossible to cope with. Simply do your work, and you will be fine. Ignore the nonsense you see below. I would happily take Dr. Meakin again. She is excellent.

08/13/2010
good
ENL4341 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

A teacher that is passionate about her work. Bends over backwards to help students. The only way to get a bad grade is to not show up to class. Quizes and papers not difficult. Quiz on lecture material. If she does not cover it it is not on quiz.

08/05/2010
good
ENL4341 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Meakin is incredibly intelligent and interesting. She cares about her students, their grades, and their betterment. She grades very fairly and thoroughly. I took Milton with her over Summer B. She lectures a lot, so you have to stay engaged in order to glean all the information and insight she provides. I would recommend her to my friends.

07/28/2010
good
Milto3441 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is amazing. Those complaining here are angry because she is one of the last teachers out there that actually TEACH. She demands that students give all they are capable of rather than just enough. She re-ignited my passion for learning and I would take her again. In fact, I am!

07/22/2010
LIT0000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Worst teacher I have ever had. Meakin took over the class a week before the drop date because my professor had passed away. I went from a 95% A to a D- by the end of the course. She talks down to everyone, always talks about her genious, and just a personal pet peve of mine, says the word "Umm" every other sentence. STAY AWAY!!

05/12/2010
LIT3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She was an awful teacher! She only graded us on test that were unclear in their questions and at times the material was never even taught in class. I studied for three days for her final exam and didn't finish it along with 10 other students in my class. She said she would take a few questions off. I still made a D in her class. I DON'T MAKE D's!

05/06/2010
good
BRIT202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Meakin is from Oxford University...one of the most prestigious academic sources for the study of the English language. At times this does make her appear more or less aloof, but she is approaching her content with the idea that university students are capable of this sort of engagement. I think Dr. Meakin is a great professor, an asset to USF.

05/04/2010
ENL1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Unfair and unclear. Professor Meakin talked down to the entire class and even called us immature in emails. Several rude comments were made, including her expressing that she felt we all had an "impoverished attitude toward lives and learning." I would run, unless you enjoy being offended on a regular basis.

05/02/2010
good

Prof Meakin is a wonderful professor. She accepts excellence from her students. Tthis may put off students looking for an easy gpa raiser, this class is worth your time if you want to raise your personal expectations. Attend class, read, ask questions, put in the time and you will have no problem. Prof Meakin will help you realize your potential

04/30/2010
ENL3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

hard hard hard not worth taking

12/17/2009
good
BRTLIT Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Extremely nice, but a really hard grader. It is difficult to understand what she is looking for in her test questions.

12/03/2009
ENL3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I would not take a class with her again. Comes off as a nice lady, but if you tell her that you don't understand or that she wasn't clear enough, she tells you your wrong and makes you redo every assignment 5 times to get a grade you deserve. Unrealistically high expectations; I was really looking forward to this class but she let me down TERRIBLY.

11/17/2009
good
LIT3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

This professor has high expectiations, but you will learn a lot. I would take a class with her again.

11/05/2009
LIT3015 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Terrible! She comes off as being an earth mother type, but she's really strict and unreasonable in her expectations. Avoid her class!

06/16/2009
ENL3110 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I want to say something good but there just isnt anything good to say. She is way too demanding and just doesnt get it. all the bad reviews are true, dont take her. Just in case you missed the last part DON'T TAKE HER!!!

06/12/2009
good
ENL3331 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I have now taken two of her classes. I felt her first class I took, ENL 3015, was better than her current class I am taking, ENL 3331. She has high expectations because she has a VERY high passion in Shakespeare, but she is not realistic in expecting us to read the Bedford Companion and know every detail of it and the plays for her hard quizzes.

06/12/2009
enl3331 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

stay away from taking her at all costs! very unclear teacher. It is no wonder when you look at class openings online and she has a ton of them.