Heather Meakin at University of South Florida

Heather Meakin

Number of ratings 27 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

9/22/13

ENL3015

Dr. Meakin's tests are so confusing and have nothing to do with the material. We read Beowulf, and the test on Beowulf had a JRR Tolkien quote that you have to complete...WHAT?! I am an English major and I am dying in this course it is THAT boring. Tests are irrelevant to the material discussed. Do not take her!

9/22/11

ENL3000

I got an A but I'm really not sure how. Her lectures/grading were incomprehensible! She ended up having to take on another professor's class at the same time, and I think she got tired of grading and gave A's. Wouldn't recommend her unless you LOVE Brit Lit Like, enough to write Anglo-Saxon riddles and poems. Let's you re-do work sometimes though.

1/12/11

LIT3015

Never have a seen a Professor less deserving of such harsh criticisms. Professor Meakin is an excellent Professor and is very passionate about her subject. Her class is far from impossible to cope with. Simply do your work, and you will be fine. Ignore the nonsense you see below. I would happily take Dr. Meakin again. She is excellent.

8/13/10

ENL4341

A teacher that is passionate about her work. Bends over backwards to help students. The only way to get a bad grade is to not show up to class. Quizes and papers not difficult. Quiz on lecture material. If she does not cover it it is not on quiz.

8/5/10

ENL4341

Dr. Meakin is incredibly intelligent and interesting. She cares about her students, their grades, and their betterment. She grades very fairly and thoroughly. I took Milton with her over Summer B. She lectures a lot, so you have to stay engaged in order to glean all the information and insight she provides. I would recommend her to my friends.

7/28/10

Milto3441

She is amazing. Those complaining here are angry because she is one of the last teachers out there that actually TEACH. She demands that students give all they are capable of rather than just enough. She re-ignited my passion for learning and I would take her again. In fact, I am!

7/22/10

LIT0000

Worst teacher I have ever had. Meakin took over the class a week before the drop date because my professor had passed away. I went from a 95% A to a D- by the end of the course. She talks down to everyone, always talks about her genious, and just a personal pet peve of mine, says the word "Umm" every other sentence. STAY AWAY!!

5/12/10

LIT3015

She was an awful teacher! She only graded us on test that were unclear in their questions and at times the material was never even taught in class. I studied for three days for her final exam and didn't finish it along with 10 other students in my class. She said she would take a few questions off. I still made a D in her class. I DON'T MAKE D's!

5/6/10

BRIT202

Dr. Meakin is from Oxford University...one of the most prestigious academic sources for the study of the English language. At times this does make her appear more or less aloof, but she is approaching her content with the idea that university students are capable of this sort of engagement. I think Dr. Meakin is a great professor, an asset to USF.

5/4/10

ENL1

Unfair and unclear. Professor Meakin talked down to the entire class and even called us immature in emails. Several rude comments were made, including her expressing that she felt we all had an "impoverished attitude toward lives and learning." I would run, unless you enjoy being offended on a regular basis.

5/2/10

ENL3015

Prof Meakin is a wonderful professor. She accepts excellence from her students. Tthis may put off students looking for an easy gpa raiser, this class is worth your time if you want to raise your personal expectations. Attend class, read, ask questions, put in the time and you will have no problem. Prof Meakin will help you realize your potential

4/30/10

ENL3015

hard hard hard not worth taking

12/17/09

BRTLIT

Extremely nice, but a really hard grader. It is difficult to understand what she is looking for in her test questions.

12/3/09

ENL3015

I would not take a class with her again. Comes off as a nice lady, but if you tell her that you don't understand or that she wasn't clear enough, she tells you your wrong and makes you redo every assignment 5 times to get a grade you deserve. Unrealistically high expectations; I was really looking forward to this class but she let me down TERRIBLY.

11/17/09

LIT3015

This professor has high expectiations, but you will learn a lot. I would take a class with her again.

11/5/09

LIT3015

Terrible! She comes off as being an earth mother type, but she's really strict and unreasonable in her expectations. Avoid her class!

6/16/09

ENL3110

I want to say something good but there just isnt anything good to say. She is way too demanding and just doesnt get it. all the bad reviews are true, dont take her. Just in case you missed the last part DON'T TAKE HER!!!

6/12/09

ENL3331

I have now taken two of her classes. I felt her first class I took, ENL 3015, was better than her current class I am taking, ENL 3331. She has high expectations because she has a VERY high passion in Shakespeare, but she is not realistic in expecting us to read the Bedford Companion and know every detail of it and the plays for her hard quizzes.

6/12/09

enl3331

stay away from taking her at all costs! very unclear teacher. It is no wonder when you look at class openings online and she has a ton of them.

6/10/09

ENL3331

She's actually pretty lenient: she dropped one play due to time constraints, curved quiz grades, and offered two extra-credit quizzes. Let us choose what to do for final paper/project. Very discussion-oriented class; maybe she should focus more on lecturing. She really tries to help students understand Shakespeare.

More English professors at University of South Florida