in Southern Oregon University that teach English Edit
at Southern Oregon University, Ashland, OR
are you Jane Picknell?
C+

04/29/2014
HSE 101-103 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Im not sure if she really knows what she is talking about some times she told me to adjust my margins to a point that even i feel are wrong, and i am terrible at writing papers. The overall teaching and person in general leaves me to question how big of a mistake i made joining this class.

03/10/2014

Such a bad prof I've been bashed in her office more times then I can count due to my writing skills. She has told me that my high school didn't perpare me for college.

11/19/2013
good
USEM Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: C+

Grades and evaluates her students on a tough scale, but gives plenty of time to correct mistakes. If you take the time to spread out your work and heed her advice, you will do fine. Ignore it, and you'll get the same initial grade she gave you 5 times to fix. I actually think she was a little easy on some Freshman not even trying for speeches.

09/26/2013
WR327 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

No comment

12/29/2012
good
USEM101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She expects a lot from her students but gives a lot of feedback making this possible. Relatively relaxed though she doesn't tolerate tardiness. Obvious that she has a genuine interest in her students though can come off as cross at times. Tough but I've learned a lot from her.

04/09/2012
good
Usem101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Had Jane for USEM 101, 102, and 103. She's a hard grader but will (for the most part) let you know what you need to fix. If you go to her office hours she will help you fix any errors in your essays. She tells you exactly what she wants from you when it comes to giving the speeches. Can be strict and (always) expects a lot out of her students.

03/12/2012
good
COMM210 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I had been dreading taking this public speaking class for a long time. Jane did a great job helping the class feel comfortable around each other, which helped ease the feeling of fright when speaking to the class. She graded fair and gave opportunities for extr5a credit. If you attend class and AREN'T LATE ;) then you should at the very least pass.

01/13/2012
good
COMM125 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Interpersonal Skills was a class I found helpful in dealing with all my personal relationships. "Jane" as she prefers to be called is very knowledgeable in the topic and speaks from the heart. I am grateful for the experience and recommend her as a professor.

01/09/2012
COMM125 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Jane was impossible. Even the communications majors had trouble in the class. the assignments did not relate well to the class, would have been more applicable to a personal improvement class.

12/12/2011
good
COMM125 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very interesting and fun class! I thought she was really funny and very helpful and I was far from a teachers pet. The only thing I did not like was that she expected us to know APA really well and most of our class was freshmen. She seemed irritated that we weren't that familiar with it. But overall I really enjoyed the class.

11/17/2011
COMM125 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Interpersonal Skills-COMM 125 course This professor is the most confusing professor I have ever had. Her instructions are not clear. I am not the only one in the class confused after getting the words "redo" on papers. If you are not proficient in your writing skills...don't bother taking this class, she will rip you up. NEVER COME LATE!

04/18/2011
TechEng Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Assignments were completely useless and impossible to understand. This was an online class and she refused to communicate clearly, which is obviously key. I will never take a class from her again.

06/08/2010
WR327 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Online class with a very light work load. Having said that, everything I learned was from doing my own readings. She input VERY little of her own thoughts or lectures. She came of as very uninvolved, then would suddenly get very nit-picky in grading.

05/18/2009
good
COM125 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Good teacher, very nice and approachable. Easy grader on papers. Teaches exactly from book, basically point by point so anything missed is in there. Very easy to understand but little class involvement.

03/31/2009
COMM342 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I'm sure Jane is a competent ENG instructor, but her approach in COMM 342 was lazy and frustrating. Instead of constructing her own lesson plan, she copied and pasted a previous instructor's syllabus and changed grading criteria after papers were turned in, leaving students confused. I will avoid taking any classes with Jane in the future.

12/10/2008
good
WR329 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Picknell is probably my favorite teacher at SOU. If you're an English, Comm, or business major you need to take tech writing from her so your papers don't suck.

11/02/2006
WR493 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A