Bruce Altschuler at SUNY Oswego

Bruce Altschuler

Number of ratings 115 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

11/4/13

POL 205

I thought he was a great professor, yes he was tough, but he pushed students to do better. He didn't accept laziness. If you like to be spoon fed and babied, then he is not the professor for you. I learned so much from him and I am very thankful that he was my professor. He did seem to put students down a little, but other than that really great.

2/13/13

POL205

People who complained about him back in the day complained about him in this millennium. Was never clear with the assignments, straight lecture. Put students down a lot for answering questions he thought were wrong.

12/13/12

Pol205

He seem really nice but isn't the best teacher at Oswego. He will butcher your weekly paper if you do it incorrectly. The worse part about the papers is that there is no rubric or guidelines to them. If your in his class it's best to use the all the information from the book for it. You should also do the reading!!! I will definitely help you pass.

12/11/12

POL205

If you are stuck with Altschuler as a political science teacher, you are in for a rough semester. You will have weekly papers that he grades like an english teacher. He uses vocabulary as if he memorized the textbook, If no one speaks up in class, he reads the attendance sheet for random answers. He is not clear, scolds wrong answers, Didnt enjoy

5/25/12

POL205

Altschuler was cantankerous, and extremely hard to follow. I was afraid to raise my hand to talk because he always insulted me in class. People needed help and I don't think they received it. Needs to use Power Point so students could understand the content of his class. Bring an open mind and knowledge of politics to class every day.

4/20/12

POL205

Altschuler's POL205 class is very rigorous, especially for a class full of first-semester freshmen. His exams are very challenging (define 6 of 7 terms in paragraph form and answer 1 of 2 essay questions) and his papers don't teach you to write well; they teach you to write like him. He's also very rude, and has a tendency to put down his students.

11/19/11

Pol326

Mr. Altschuler is a smart guy, but he is rude to his students and gets upset when no one answers his questions, even though he mocks your answers and basically says they are wrong. If you have to take a class with him, it's not too bad but try avoiding him if you want a good grade.

4/4/11

POL205

It's a good class if you're willing to put the work into. If you're a poly sci major I would recommend him but not for a gen ed.

12/25/10

Pol230

As usual dumbs dumbs who rate profs really high for being easy attack this man because he makes them work Lazy dudes

12/23/10

POLmany

I had many upper division classes with this professor. He is an excellent prof, and knowledgable. Very tough grader though. Turn in drafts, you get them back with more red than black ink. He is very challenging and expands your critical thinking skills. I would recommend him if you like a challenge. If you want an A, stay away.

12/18/10

POL205

Do not take pol 205 with him. Yaks alot but 10% of what he says is on the exams. Grade only based on 3 exams. He doesn't even take into consideration class attendance unless you are between 2 grades like a b and b+

11/17/10

POL205

Okay listen, Is he obnoxious? Yes. Is he arrogant? Yes. But he isn't as bad as people make him out to be, he is very knowledgeable about the material and is helpful if you approach him the right way. You have to put some effort in to do well, but it isn't extremely hard. I took APUSH in high school and I knew most of the material already.

11/12/10

pol325

This guy is a genius and he knows it. Altschuler is quick to shoot you down, but it is because most people make emotional arguments for their opinions and not present facts. An smart-ass he may be, but he listens to people. Also, he takes his work time very seriously, do not be late to class, you will regret it. Do your work, pass the class- Amen!

11/10/10

POL205

He is the worst teacher I have ever had in my life. He is the most useless teacher. All he does is give you deffentions that you will not use on the test, and if you don't know what something is and the class is equally confussed he will punish the class by putting it on the test and not give you the answer. DO NOT TAKE A CLASS WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

9/27/10

POL205

I agree with person below because the only person that thinks he is a genius is himself. He even talks about how great he is and how much of a great mind he is in class. Your sad Bruce for writing your own comments word for word! Avoid this class if you want to pass. I decided not to be a POL minor because of this man.

9/27/10

COM207

Bruce must be writing his own good comments because i have never met a person who liked him. He is disrespectful and shouldn't still be teaching. Ever Bad thing said on here is true! This class has brought down my entire GPA. His class was my first C ever and haven't gotten anything lower then a B+

6/24/10

pol300

I've taken two classes with this man, and I can honestly say he is my favorite professor. He care about his students, i was very ill for about 2 weeks and he still checks up on me to this day seeing how my health is. Hes open to discussion despite my complelty opposing view to his in fact he welcomed and encouraged it. I'd take any course he teache

6/11/10

POL365

He is an expert in his field and contrary to what some others have said he can be entertaining. It is possible to get an A, but you have to put in a lot of effort. He will bend over backward to help you if you approach him. He does get annoyed by foolishness and people who put in no effort. Just do your work, come to class, and you will do fine

5/10/10

Pol203

Altschuler is a different kind of breed,very intuitive and well educated, much can be learned from him. If you do not like political science that is unfortunate because a certain amount of enthusiasm in the subject is required to get a good grade. His humor is definitely underrated but sometimes he really does get too hung up on discipline.

5/8/10

POL207

I took this prof's class last semester. The minute I entered his class i regretted it but decided to stay in it for the challenge. He belittled me and discouraged me from speaking in class! I always felt upset in his class.. he would ARGUE with students. like yeah we get it your a prof but ur also an instructor so teach us don't yell at us! sheesh.

More Political Science professors at SUNY Oswego