in Oakland University that teach Sociology Edit
Professor in the Sociology department
at Oakland University, Rochester, MI
are you Jay Meehan?

01/20/2013
SOC240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I don't even know where to begin with this guy. I've never disliked a teacher as much as him. His methods of teaching are enough to confuse anyone. You never know what his expectations are, and it seems that he constantly sets the class up for failure with all the information he expects you to study, with little help or clarity. Very disorganized.

12/10/2012
good
IntrotoCJ Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Meehan is not one of the easiest professors I've had but he is a good one. Expect a decent amount of work. Keep up on the readings and come to class to take notes. His personality rubbed some people the wrong way but he means well and like I said he's a good teacher. Don't expect an easy A, you have to work for it.

10/14/2012
good
CRJ100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I have Meehan for CRJ 100/SOC 240. I absolutely love the class. He is a great teacher and goes the extra mile to make sure we understand the material. Reading textbooks is part of college. As long as you read there's no reason you shouldn't ace the quizzes. I highly recommend Jay Meehan to anyone who has to take this class.

03/20/2012
Soc240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Worst prof I've had yet. hes not afraid to openly criticize the class. his reading quizes require you to be extremely specific. I read and take notes and I have yet to do well on one. I wish I hadnt taken this class. Prof is awful!

06/15/2011
good
SOC395 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Read the reviews before i took the class and was a tad concerned however i enjoyed having him as a professor thoroughly. Very passionate and while the class was difficult i enjoyed almost every minute of it. Take him if you do not need someone to walk on eggshells. teaches in a straight forward no b.s manner

02/05/2011
good
SOC240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Fantastic Professor, though you must have to be willing to do the work. Meehan is a very passionate professor and although he may ramble, he is very helpful. One of the best I've had at OU,

01/11/2011
good
CJ101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I had Professor Meehan as an undergrad at OU, and he was one of the best/one of my favorite professors. The reading was really helpful, and his views expressed are merely to get you thinking about different viewpoints other than the idiotic boob tube views expressed 24/7 (e.g., Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reiley, etc.). Great teacher.

12/23/2010
SOC240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Total bore. Really tough especially considering the fact that he blathers on about stuff that is not in the text. He never goes over the reading and that makes in very difficult to pass the quizzes. But you must do the reading to pass the quizzes. But you can pass the class by getting like 2 pts per quiz instead of 5. Horrible teaching style.

12/21/2010

Make sure you read the chapters he assigns. You have random quizzes, so you don't know when you need to read or not. He gives you review questions/essays for the midterm and final- make sure you write out essays and study them.. IT WILL HELP!! I got a 3.7 in his class but I worked my butt off.

12/15/2010
soc240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

everyone should know that HE IS THE CHAIR PERSON (DEAN) OF THE SOCIOLOGY DEPARTMENT,so he is hard and expects a lot. I honestly tried so hard in his class and didn't do to good. but if you can read a chapter and take notes and memorize it, then you should do fine on his daily quizes. he's also very sarcastic and annoying!

12/15/2009
good

Best instructor! Very passionate and knowledgeable about the subject matter. His expectations are high and you have to be willing to work your butt off! Extremely helpful as well. Looking forward to another class with him!

08/08/2009
Soc240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I will give him credit he truly enjoys his line of work and passionatly shows that. As far as teaching others that...No..I felt he only tried to intimidate the students and make examples of the ones falling behind..I was not a fan, would not take another class with him or reccomend him to any other student...

05/02/2009
good
SOC327 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Intimidating at first, but he is truly an exceptional professor. He is an even better mentor and adviser. Great class filled with interesting material and he truly shows a passion for it. Attendance is crucial & will benefit your grade in the end. Weekly quizzes are difficult so read meticulously and take even more detailed notes. Great class/guy!

08/18/2008
good
soc327 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Great class, very interesting topic. A lot of material but fun to learn. Meehan is extremely helpful and understanding, seems a little intimidating at first.. but once you get to know him he isnt, great professor! One of my favorites at OU :)

03/15/2007
CRJ240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He would rather waste 20 mins of class on a stupid pop quiz rather than use that time on valuable lecture. By the way, there are 13 of these pop quizzes, once a week, given BEFORE he covers the material. Of 35 students in my class, he only gave out one A on the mid-term exam. Its an easy class, but he makes it ridiculously hard because he can.

02/23/2007
good

Very interesting class. I am a non-major and I loved the class. He has weekly reading quizzes which are hard even if you read, but take reading notes. Midterm was a 12-15 page paper. Attendance is not mandatory but he will use it to bump up your grade if you are on the edge. He is always willing to help or clarify something confusing.

10/31/2006
good
soc100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Likeable guy, but his test are hard and difficult essays if you don't know what's they're on.

08/29/2006
SOC240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Look, Guys listen. If you write what he wants you to erite, you will be fine. I made an A because I played his game. Yeah, I had to think on my own.Give me a break. Meehan has favorites in each class as well. Take him if you want, but he is not the best prof, a little under average.

07/27/2006
good
SOC 240, 425... Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

By far THE best professor I have ever had. You will learn so much in this class. But it is defintely not a class to take if you just want to screw around and not read. Charismatic, likeable (if you dont get on his bad side), and highly intelligent. I am graduated now, and I want to go back just so I can take more of his classes! Honestly.

06/23/2006
good
SOC206,240,392 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I've taken one too many classes with him and I've learned more each time. I don't know why "college" students expect to be handed good grades on a silver platter. Meehan wants you to take on his challenge and succeed by any means possible. He's not your ordinary prof, he actually wants you to learn something, not b.s. your way through.