in College of Southern Nevada that teach Biology Edit
at College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV
are you Lois Merkler?
B

10/02/2014
Biol 197 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is awful. I was in her class and she just reads the slides. she's expect us to know everything before class. classes are boring, and cold. I will not take her again for sure.

09/18/2014
good
Bio 189 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Respected by students" "There for you" "Skip class? You won't pass."

One of the best bio instructors I have had at CSN As a health science major I''ve had many and she is one of the best for sure. Bio 189 can be hard course if you do not have experience in chem or bio but she is very help and will take all the time needed to help you understand the topics Best instructor

05/22/2014
good
Biol 197 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Merkler is a great professor! She takes the time to answer question in class and lab. I enjoyed her class very much! She teaches off of power points, they contain useful information. She does have them online in case you want to print them out. Her tests aren't too bad if you take the time to study. Overall great professor would def recommend

12/21/2013
good
Biol 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Merkler actually bides her time when lecturing. She wants you to succeed and is more than willing to help if you ask for it. Read your textbook for reinforcement, but mostly study the notes and you'll do alright. The tests are a little challenging, but she does not believe in nasty ambushes. Believe it or not she'll do job if you do yours.

12/17/2013
good
BIOL116 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I took her for natural history and it was somewhat challenging. The tests are based completely off lecture notes. There are 4 identification tests (plants, birds, reptiles, mammals) that are impossible to pass if you don't study; however, she gives a study sheet for them. Various field trips throughout class. Very interesting class.

08/19/2013
good
Bio 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: B-

Very good teacher she tells you up front that its a fast paced class. she reminds you of drop dates and gives you a chance to move to a lower level bio class if you cant handle 189. i didnt really need to use the book i went off notes. hws are fairly easy except dna. test are straight foreward as well. all around good teacher

07/31/2013
good
Biol 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is a wonderful teacher. It's a hard class but she did a good job breaking it down. Read the chapter before the lecture, take good notes and listen, study the notes for the tests. I earned an A and I mean EARNED. I felt lucky to have her...could have been much worse.

07/16/2013
good
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The best teacher I ever taken. She does put out lots of notes for you to copy but if you listen, pay attention and study. You will pass her class. She makes learning fun. She brings in visual aids and is willing to explain things slowly for you to understand. Don't be afraid to let her know you don't understand because she will help you.

05/29/2013
bio 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I got a D and now I have to retake the class. Im not happy, you have to really really really study long and hard. Good Luck to those out there.

05/16/2013
good
Biology 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She's cool and all but I was disappointed. I didn't pass and I had a 4.0 GPA before taking her class. After my third exam I knew I wasn't going to pass. So for those who aren't bio masters I wouldn't recommend her. No study guides, online homework-mandatory, attendance-not mandatory. I'm pretty upset and sad because I have to take bio 189 again.

05/06/2013
good
Biology 189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Lois is very nice, always willing to help students after class, provng her time whenever needed, but she is very difficult. She is very fast pace and likes to keep on schedule if that means speeding up lectures. I have a complete notebook of notes that I have taken while attending all of her classes, she gives no study guides just tests and HW.

04/10/2013
good
BIOL 220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Amazing! She moves mountains to help students! Took her online course&was anxious but workloads fair(2-3 ch/wk) She's so helpful&organized! Replies to emails w/in hrs. Grading is fair. 10pt quiz & short essay due/wk. Tests(50 m/c) arent super easy. Read &review b4. Good profs are such a rarity, ill literally take anything shes teaching.

01/28/2013
good
BIO101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Merkler is a great teacher who thoroughly understands her subject and makes every attempt to help her students understand as well. She is the best Bio teacher I have ever had. It is important to study and attend class. I would have done better had I put in more time studying.

01/07/2013
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

The teacher was great but I did not like her way of teaching. I felt lost in her lectures and I could not grasp the information. If your a full time student or have a full time job forget about this class because you must be fully dedicated to this course. It is a tough class so TAKE GOOD NOTES!!Seriously...Good Luck

01/05/2013
good
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The class overall requires you to STUDY! A lot of notes that will help you with the exams. This professor is willing to go above and beyond to help you understand the material. Don't be afraid to ask! She takes pride in teaching! Always finds some funny jokes to compare the information you are learning. Best PROFESSOR EVER. TAKE HER, or regret it!

12/19/2012
good
BIO189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I liked her and her way of teaching. There are a LOT of notes but they help for the exams!! Bio is a hard class but she is willing to explain things to you and help you whenever needed. I would recommend her and would take her class again.

10/25/2012
good
BIO189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I liked the professor, the only complaint is she argued with the book and shed skip around a lot, so you never know where you were. But I DID NOT LIKE HOW MUCH CHEM YOU LEARN! ITS A BIO CLASS! But she is definitely willing to help wherever you need

06/09/2012
good
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Merkler is so nice and always willing to make sure you know the information before moving on to new material. I think she explains things very thoroughly and uses the white board a lot which helps visually! I didn't have a problem in her class and would take her again any day.

05/25/2012
good
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Best Biology class! She's always willing to help. 4 tests 8 Homeworks. 1 homework dropped. Final covers whole semester. She answers emails clearly. Tests are directly from lecture. Attendance not mandatory, but you do earn points for going. Recommend a study group lots of material covered. Take Merkler!!!

05/21/2012
good
BIOL189 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Overall Professor Merkler is an awesome teacher, I would recommend. I took BIOL 189 with his in the spring of '12. Very clear, very helpful..if you have any questions just ask and she will help you. It is a bio class so you will need to do all the assigned reading and take notes in class, if you study hard you can get an A (as I did :D)