Andrea Leavey at University of Illinois at Chicago

Andrea Leavey

Number of ratings 18 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/11/13

ENG 161

Professor Leavey is the best, her passion for teaching is beautiful and she brought a topic that I thought I hated come to life. I don't care for poetry at all, but this semester made me appreciate it. Leavey is such a fair grader and passionate teacher. Definitely recommend! Topic is a challenge, but worth it. Her teaching goes beyond writing.

11/13/13

ENG161

This class is taught once a week about poetry and how it affects the world. I hate poetry. I dislike writing about it. Yet, I liked professor leavey. Very fair and passionate, and very accommodating and flexible with due dates. Even though I hated the subject matter, I liked the professor. If writing and poetry are your things, you will love this.

5/12/13

English 161

A very passionate and interesting prof. Unlike the last reviewer though I wish class would have met more than once a week. Her lectures are always interesting and thought provoking. I would take her again in a heartbeat. Highly recommend if you want to be a better writer. I use what I learned from her in every class paper I write.

5/9/13

Eng 161

Very nice and kind teacher; very approachable. Class only met once a week and usually there wasn't even a point for that. As long as you put effort into it, she gives you good grades. I ended up getting only one A on the 4 papers, but was in the high Bs for the others. She offers minimal feedback, she grades easy. Take this class for grade+schedule

4/11/13

English 161

I loved this class. We only met once a week and her online assignments are clear and easy to follow. Plus, she answers emials right away and gives extra help whenever you need it. She's interested in the depth of your thinking most of all and helps you learn how to make a difference in the real world. Really love this prof.

1/18/13

ENG161

This was definitely not an easy A class, but if you work really hard then you can get an A. If you miss more than 2 classes your grade would automatically drop to a lower grade.

12/8/12

ENG161

She is nice at first but after going in for help with my papers she did not even read past the first paragraph of my paper and gave me general tips on my paper that did not even help at all.

20988804
11/14/12

Eng161

Best English Professor ever. She is really easy going and is extremely willing to help. She doesn't give a lot of feedback on papers and it was tough to get an A, Which was frustrating, but if you work, she will give it to you. She is a really awesome prof to take.

8/11/12

Engl490

She is one of the best poetry teachers I've ever had. She made us work hard but the assignments really made us understand the concepts we were studying. We also did book reviews, presentations on poets, and a lot of reading but I'm SO glad I took this course. She gives you a lot of guidance on publishing too if that's what you want to do.

5/21/12

ENG161

She was an entertaining professor, her feedback on papers were very minimum which was frustrating because I was borderline the whole semester with no idea on how to improve my work for the better grade. I did end up with an A though, she wasn't that hard of a grader but vague on explanations on why she gave you a certain grade.

4/26/12

ENGL161

Leavey is a really good teacher. Attendance is important since you only meet once a week and you have to be organized and know when all the assignments are due because she gives small writing assignments each week which ultimately help your grade if you're not a great writer and you keep up with the work.

4/6/12

ENG161

She is very nice, however she expects alot from her students. She's a bit of a tough grader..but if you do everything she asks for, then you'll get a B, if you get an A then congrats! Like I said, she's very nice, but she assigns a ridiculous amount of work. Like hours worth of work. She's a challenge, but sweet nonetheless.

11/13/11

Eng161

She's pretty laid back, although I missed an A by one point, she is an okay teacher. Very nice, but I think she can be a little bit more lenient in grading. Books aren't necessary - she gives you a copy of the readings anyways.

4/7/11

Engli109

I took her for Lit and Culture last year and it was a great class. She's one of my favorite profs at UIC. My only complaint was that we read A LOT and it was hard to keep up with it all. I found her a tough grader on papers but she makes up for it with easy grades like weekly journals--just do them and you'll get a decent grade.

4/7/11

Engl160

She was sweet, always had a smile, so I didn't ever mind going to class. She wasn't a horribly hard grader as long as you wrote well and did the work. As long as you stay active in her class you'll do well.

1/7/11

eng160

her class is easy, but unlike the other two reviews below mine, she grades quite hard for an english teacher (not on spelling or anything) but on the subject of the matter even though you are proficient in that subject. if you take her just be ready to have at least 3 hours or more per paper even if it is a two page paper.

5/3/10

engl160

She was my favorite teacher so far at UIC. The projects were fun and I learned a lot. She is a really nice person and very understanding.

4/7/10

ENG161

She's a very laid-back, easy professor. She's very helpful and always answers emails quickly. Gives good feedback and is generally an easy grader! If you're late with homework, just make sure you at least email or bring it to next class. A lot of discussion, really likes using all the books in class. If you put effort into it, you'll get an A.

More English professors at University of Illinois at Chicago