in University of California Irvine that teach Chemistry Edit
David Van Vranken
Professor in the Chemistry department
at University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA
are you David Van Vranken?

09/18/2014
good
Chem 51C Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A
"Respected by students"

Considering I had to wake up at 7 am for a chemistry class Van Vranken did an incredible job of keeping me awake and alert with his lectures. He really does know what he is talking about and understands the material. For sure the best teacher I had of all 3 OChem classes I took. Van Vranken''s tests are completely fair and based directly off lec.

08/22/2014
good
CHEM 51C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Man, I love this teacher. I didn't do so well the first two quarters of ochem, but he turned things around for me and suddenly made me start enjoying ochem. STUDY HIS LECTURE NOTES AND DISCUSSION WORKSHEETS. They are the key to a good grade, I cannot stress this enough. Go over them over and over again.

06/11/2014
good
51C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Extremely fair tests! Take notes during lecture and practice, practice, PRACTICE! I did poorly (C's in 51A and 51B) the whole year and I felt that ochem was not for me, but after taking this class, I feel more confident and did extremely well! Do not lose hope, finish the ochem series STRONG!

06/11/2014
good
CHEM 51C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Lectures are very clear and straightforward. He even includes a 4-5 minute break during lecture to keep your mind fresh. Print the notes he posts online and fill them in as he goes over them in class and you should do just fine. Tests are fair and straightforward; if you know the material you will do well. Overall very good professor.

06/10/2014
good
51 C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He's an amazing teacher and his notes are amazing too. Never read the book, eventually stopped going to class, just studied his notes & still got an A- (and I got a B and B- in previous Ochem series) so I definitely recommend taking him! His tests are fair not ridiculously easy, but if you focus on his notes, dis wksheets & old exams you're golden

05/12/2014
good
Chem 51C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

AMAZING professor. Very passionate and he loves helping you and answering questions. The class material itself is hard, but his exams are fair. He's actually very funny and can keep an 8am class awake! I used to hate ochem until I took him; now I love it!

04/19/2014
good
Chem 51B Taken for Credit:No Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He's very good and clear.

11/17/2013
good
CHE321 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Vranken is amazing at relaying the organic chemistry material to students. The professor I currently have for orgo literally does not teach, which forced me to learn from other sources and that's how I came upon Professor Vranken's YouTube lectures. His lectures are amazing.

09/08/2013
good
Chem51B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He is no doubt the BEST OChem professor I've ever had. Clear lectures, notes are extremely organized and helpful, and he explains concepts to the point you dont even need to read the book. Ignore all the negative comments about him, they're all fake. Seriously, I loved taking OChem because of him.

04/22/2013
good
Ochem 51B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Pros:1)Straight foward test; nothing tricky. 2)Lecture is clear and understand able. 3) Video is PROVIDED on youtube for further understanding and those who missed the class. 4) No need to read the textbook; studying his lecture + homework problems + some exercise from textbook is enough.5) He'll tell which material that won't be on the test