in St. Olaf College that teach English Edit
at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN
are you Mary Winstead?
1.5

05/08/2008
FYW112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

It is funny that people are still commenting on Winstead...since she hasn't worked at Olaf for 2 years. Winstead was one of a kind - the worst kind, though. Do you know why she no longer works here anymore? She was let go because of the high volume of complaints! You should all buy her book on amazon.com for $0.01 - we learned from the best.

04/02/2008
good
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I took Winstead 3 yrs ago. Yes, it was tough. Yes, you will read & write more than in HS. You'll be challenged. It does what a FYW class should: prepare you for college level writing. Take her if you want your writing to improve(think multiple drafts). If your satisfied with where you're at, stay away. Satisfactory doesn't cut it with Winstead.

01/06/2007
good
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

People come to realize that the profs who had the greatest impact on them were those who were the most demanding. It's a tough semester but it doesn't require kissing her ass - just long hours of the rewriting process. Efforts equivalent to what you did in HS don't cut it in college (most FYs' problem). Ask yourself if you really want to improve.

01/03/2007
GE111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is easily the worst teacher that I have ever had. My writing in no way improved. She gives massive amounts of work, with unbelievable expectations. She turned a very interesting class into feminism 101. Her grading/preferred writing style didn't make any sense and was completely biased and unprofessional. Sucking up makes the grade.

10/27/2006
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I took her class two years ago and I can still vividly remember the torture I went through all semester. I did more work for her 100 level class than I have for any other 200 level class I have taken yet. We wrote 20 discussion papers and 4 "major" papers! If you don't suck up and pretend to agree with her you have no hope of getting an A, period.

08/15/2006
first year writ Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

this woman was rediculous. i am now a senior and i can remember this class as being the worst one i've taken to date at st. olaf college. she forms prejudices against EVERYONE and favors boys. She should NOT be a teacher, she provides NO helpful feedback and completely crushes your spirit. She always has a patronizing tone in her voice--EVIL!

05/11/2006
good
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Winstead is a great teacher- I learned so much in her class. She is in no way comparable to Satan. If you really want to learn a lot from a very smart woman, take from Winstead.

05/08/2006
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

It was shocking at first when I was told this class took place in hell, but with every passing day I am beginning to think I would actually rather spend my tuesdays and thursdays with satan...I really dont know how high the person below me was when he wrote that but please do yourself a favor and avoid this class!!!!!!!!

04/12/2006
good
GE 111 (FYW) Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Before taking this class I worked really hard to drop it, but I'm SO happy that I stayed. Professor Winstead, although a difficult grader and professor has helped me so much. The class is INCREDIBLE! The in-class discussions are very interesting, and the assignments are do-able. I used to be a very weak writer and I'm getting an A. TAKE THIS CLASS!

04/05/2006

Mary V. Winstead is without a doubt the WORST teacher I have ever encountered. She grades extremely harshly. Though I get A's on my papers in other classes, she thinks my writing sucks and gives me C's. The class is long, uninteresting and she is an evil person. Pray to God you never, ever have to take this class.