in St. Olaf College that teach English Edit
at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN
are you Mary Winstead?
1.5

05/08/2008
FYW112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

It is funny that people are still commenting on Winstead...since she hasn't worked at Olaf for 2 years. Winstead was one of a kind - the worst kind, though. Do you know why she no longer works here anymore? She was let go because of the high volume of complaints! You should all buy her book on amazon.com for $0.01 - we learned from the best.

04/02/2008
good
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I took Winstead 3 yrs ago. Yes, it was tough. Yes, you will read & write more than in HS. You'll be challenged. It does what a FYW class should: prepare you for college level writing. Take her if you want your writing to improve(think multiple drafts). If your satisfied with where you're at, stay away. Satisfactory doesn't cut it with Winstead.

01/06/2007
good
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

People come to realize that the profs who had the greatest impact on them were those who were the most demanding. It's a tough semester but it doesn't require kissing her ass - just long hours of the rewriting process. Efforts equivalent to what you did in HS don't cut it in college (most FYs' problem). Ask yourself if you really want to improve.

01/03/2007
GE111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is easily the worst teacher that I have ever had. My writing in no way improved. She gives massive amounts of work, with unbelievable expectations. She turned a very interesting class into feminism 101. Her grading/preferred writing style didn't make any sense and was completely biased and unprofessional. Sucking up makes the grade.

10/27/2006
FYW111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I took her class two years ago and I can still vividly remember the torture I went through all semester. I did more work for her 100 level class than I have for any other 200 level class I have taken yet. We wrote 20 discussion papers and 4 "major" papers! If you don't suck up and pretend to agree with her you have no hope of getting an A, period.

08/15/2006
first year writ Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

this woman was rediculous. i am now a senior and i can remember this class as being the worst one i've taken to date at st. olaf college. she forms prejudices against EVERYONE and favors boys. She should NOT be a teacher, she provides NO helpful feedback and completely crushes your spirit. She always has a patronizing tone in her voice--EVIL!

05/11/2006
good
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Winstead is a great teacher- I learned so much in her class. She is in no way comparable to Satan. If you really want to learn a lot from a very smart woman, take from Winstead.

05/08/2006
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

It was shocking at first when I was told this class took place in hell, but with every passing day I am beginning to think I would actually rather spend my tuesdays and thursdays with satan...I really dont know how high the person below me was when he wrote that but please do yourself a favor and avoid this class!!!!!!!!

04/12/2006
good
GE 111 (FYW) Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Before taking this class I worked really hard to drop it, but I'm SO happy that I stayed. Professor Winstead, although a difficult grader and professor has helped me so much. The class is INCREDIBLE! The in-class discussions are very interesting, and the assignments are do-able. I used to be a very weak writer and I'm getting an A. TAKE THIS CLASS!

04/05/2006

Mary V. Winstead is without a doubt the WORST teacher I have ever encountered. She grades extremely harshly. Though I get A's on my papers in other classes, she thinks my writing sucks and gives me C's. The class is long, uninteresting and she is an evil person. Pray to God you never, ever have to take this class.

03/19/2006
GE111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

if you want to get f'd in the A, class after class. then this is a good choice. i would rather pick satan as my prof.

02/24/2006
good
GE111 Travel Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

She really isn't that bad. At first she'll seem tough and strict, but she seems to warm up to you after awhile. Plus, the material is almost always interesting and enjoyable. This class ended up being one of my favorites!

02/11/2006
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

If you're a masochist this class is for you. She grades harshly. She doesn't help you develop your overall writing style; you learn how to copy HER writing style. Sure you learn a lot - but so do the other GE111 classes. Take another class. Learn just as much. Get a fair grade.

11/06/2005
good
Gen 111 Travel Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

The amount of work is sometimes extreme, but it gives us room for improvement. She grades really really hard (sometimes unfairly), but if you finish your work, class discussions can be interesting and sometimes (GASP) fun.

10/24/2005
ge 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The meanest prof alive. She is not liberal, but she is not conservative either. She is a moral relativist. She is one crazy ****. Since I am a woman, I am not anti-feminist, but she takes it waaaaaay too far. She likes to ruthlessly make fun of the men in the class then give us all horrible grades on our papers. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE HER CLASS

10/13/2005
good
Gen. Ed. 111 J Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Don't take this class unless you really want to be challenged! Winstead is hard, but the whole point in taking a writing course is to learn how to write well. Her comments on papers are not always helpful, but she is willing to discuss any and all questions in class. She also marks off if you turn stuff in that goes over the page limit. Yuck

10/10/2005
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

****. Pure ****. AVOID THIS CLASS AT ALL COSTS!!!!

09/09/2005
good
Eng 111k Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: D

Incredibly difficult prof. Very demanding of students, be prepared for a verbal lashing if you don't like to participate in class. The workload is offset only by the interesting subject matter. If you are unused to thinking critically about western society her classes probably aren't for you.

04/22/2005
GE 111K Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Do anything you can to avoid this class!!! It's pure torture and it consumes all your time. Plus, she does not give helpful feedback about your writing. It's actually all about politics and she does her best to brainwash.

04/12/2005
GE 111 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Winstead (the Boob as we call her) is evil. She spent the whole semester brainwashing us with info about how some ppl have privilege over others even though they shouldn't.she took full advantage of her privilege as a prof. get on her bad side and forget about A's.Shes not specific in what she wants