Mary Winstead at St. Olaf College

Mary Winstead

Number of ratings 40 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

5/8/08

FYW112

It is funny that people are still commenting on Winstead...since she hasn't worked at Olaf for 2 years. Winstead was one of a kind - the worst kind, though. Do you know why she no longer works here anymore? She was let go because of the high volume of complaints! You should all buy her book on amazon.com for $0.01 - we learned from the best.

4/2/08

FYW111

I took Winstead 3 yrs ago. Yes, it was tough. Yes, you will read & write more than in HS. You'll be challenged. It does what a FYW class should: prepare you for college level writing. Take her if you want your writing to improve(think multiple drafts). If your satisfied with where you're at, stay away. Satisfactory doesn't cut it with Winstead.

1/6/07

FYW111

People come to realize that the profs who had the greatest impact on them were those who were the most demanding. It's a tough semester but it doesn't require kissing her ass - just long hours of the rewriting process. Efforts equivalent to what you did in HS don't cut it in college (most FYs' problem). Ask yourself if you really want to improve.

1/3/07

GE111

She is easily the worst teacher that I have ever had. My writing in no way improved. She gives massive amounts of work, with unbelievable expectations. She turned a very interesting class into feminism 101. Her grading/preferred writing style didn't make any sense and was completely biased and unprofessional. Sucking up makes the grade.

10/27/06

FYW111

I took her class two years ago and I can still vividly remember the torture I went through all semester. I did more work for her 100 level class than I have for any other 200 level class I have taken yet. We wrote 20 discussion papers and 4 "major" papers! If you don't suck up and pretend to agree with her you have no hope of getting an A, period.

8/15/06

first year writ

this woman was rediculous. i am now a senior and i can remember this class as being the worst one i've taken to date at st. olaf college. she forms prejudices against EVERYONE and favors boys. She should NOT be a teacher, she provides NO helpful feedback and completely crushes your spirit. She always has a patronizing tone in her voice--EVIL!

5/11/06

GE 111

Winstead is a great teacher- I learned so much in her class. She is in no way comparable to Satan. If you really want to learn a lot from a very smart woman, take from Winstead.

5/8/06

GE 111

It was shocking at first when I was told this class took place in hell, but with every passing day I am beginning to think I would actually rather spend my tuesdays and thursdays with satan...I really dont know how high the person below me was when he wrote that but please do yourself a favor and avoid this class!!!!!!!!

4/12/06

GE 111 (FYW)

Before taking this class I worked really hard to drop it, but I'm SO happy that I stayed. Professor Winstead, although a difficult grader and professor has helped me so much. The class is INCREDIBLE! The in-class discussions are very interesting, and the assignments are do-able. I used to be a very weak writer and I'm getting an A. TAKE THIS CLASS!

4/5/06

GE 111

Mary V. Winstead is without a doubt the WORST teacher I have ever encountered. She grades extremely harshly. Though I get A's on my papers in other classes, she thinks my writing sucks and gives me C's. The class is long, uninteresting and she is an evil person. Pray to God you never, ever have to take this class.

3/19/06

GE111

if you want to get f'd in the A, class after class. then this is a good choice. i would rather pick satan as my prof.

2/24/06

GE111 Travel

She really isn't that bad. At first she'll seem tough and strict, but she seems to warm up to you after awhile. Plus, the material is almost always interesting and enjoyable. This class ended up being one of my favorites!

2/11/06

GE 111

If you're a masochist this class is for you. She grades harshly. She doesn't help you develop your overall writing style; you learn how to copy HER writing style. Sure you learn a lot - but so do the other GE111 classes. Take another class. Learn just as much. Get a fair grade.

11/6/05

Gen 111 Travel

The amount of work is sometimes extreme, but it gives us room for improvement. She grades really really hard (sometimes unfairly), but if you finish your work, class discussions can be interesting and sometimes (GASP) fun.

10/24/05

ge 111

The meanest prof alive. She is not liberal, but she is not conservative either. She is a moral relativist. She is one crazy ****. Since I am a woman, I am not anti-feminist, but she takes it waaaaaay too far. She likes to ruthlessly make fun of the men in the class then give us all horrible grades on our papers. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE HER CLASS

10/13/05

Gen. Ed. 111 J

Don't take this class unless you really want to be challenged! Winstead is hard, but the whole point in taking a writing course is to learn how to write well. Her comments on papers are not always helpful, but she is willing to discuss any and all questions in class. She also marks off if you turn stuff in that goes over the page limit. Yuck

10/10/05

GE 111

****. Pure ****. AVOID THIS CLASS AT ALL COSTS!!!!

9/9/05

Eng 111k

Incredibly difficult prof. Very demanding of students, be prepared for a verbal lashing if you don't like to participate in class. The workload is offset only by the interesting subject matter. If you are unused to thinking critically about western society her classes probably aren't for you.

4/22/05

GE 111K

Do anything you can to avoid this class!!! It's pure torture and it consumes all your time. Plus, she does not give helpful feedback about your writing. It's actually all about politics and she does her best to brainwash.

4/12/05

GE 111

Winstead (the Boob as we call her) is evil. She spent the whole semester brainwashing us with info about how some ppl have privilege over others even though they shouldn't.she took full advantage of her privilege as a prof. get on her bad side and forget about A's.Shes not specific in what she wants

More English professors at St. Olaf College