Mark Boyer at Missouri State University

Number of ratings 33 / Average Grade:  B- Submit a correction

8/28/14

REL 100

Grade ReceivedB-

He's an extreme example of the patriarchal society still being in existence today and you won't get a good grade unless you lick his boots every class. Also, he's a catholic priest if that tells you anything.

11/18/13

GEP 101

I dropped his class if that says anything at all. I also went to the Department Head to personally make a complaint about his teaching style and attitude. He may be alright in the other courses he teaches (ex. Religious Studies) but I would never take him for anything ever again.

12/15/12

GEP034

I had him for GEP and I thought that it was going to be an easy class. Completely wrong. I did more writing inn my GEP blow off class than I did in my writing 101 class. I didn't learn anything useful from this class. He likes to explain everything like us students are dumb. Be prepared to go into in-depth conversations.

12/14/12

GEP101

I walked into this class thinking that it would be easy but I was surely mistake. In this class you have homework very night with daily activities you have to finish and also you have to write journal entries everyday and four main journal entries with a huge project at the end of the semester. Attendance is mandatory! Take another teacher!!!

5/7/12

GEP101

First day, thought he was a jerk. Next day, and the rest of the semester..loved him! You know wht to expect, tough on attendance and writing, but if you work in even a moderate manner, you can easily pass. Plenty of extra credit available. Awesome discussions. Loved being in his class!!! Taking him again for REL next semester.

1/13/12

GEP101

Turned what is possibly one of the easiest classes on campus onto my hardest. Prior to the class my writing was B material, he failed me on my first paper, along with the majority of the class. He always corrected grammar or asked questions that he knew you would not know the answer to. Won't speak about anything unless you meet outside of class.

12/12/11

GEP50

I simply adored this class, and would highly recommend Boyer to anyone. I will take him again if possible. His class discussions were eye-opening, and gets you involved in things you didn't even realize you cared much about. He cares about writing skills, but everything is outlined specifically in the syllabus, so you kno what to expect. :)

1/13/11

GEP101

Had him for GEP 101 last semester. There are so many possible options for GEP teachers, do not take this proffesor. He is a decent guys and cares about the students but not about their grade/time. Massive amounts of homework. Some bonus possibilities, but nothing that is enough to bring you above a "B".

10/21/10

GEP101

He is the worst professor EVER! Don't take a class with him!! I had him for GEP and am a hardworking student. It is impossible to get an 'A'. He enjoys calling out students that are unprepared. He is cruel and unfeeling and only likes you if you suck up majorly. He is pompous, stuck-up and I had to fight the urge to hit him every class I had.

9/12/10

REL100

he expects tooo much from you, plus he is a complete jerk. Waste of payroll

11/24/09

rel197

1-week intersession class. 3 short discussion papers with well-defined assignments so you aren't flailing around in the dark wondering what to write about. I expected the class to be p.much a waste of time but I was surprised how much you can actually *learn* in a 1-week class where you mostly just watch movies. Would happily do it again.

9/15/09

IDS101

Don't sit in the front row unless you want him to speak only at you and he spits! Plus he is very strict on tardies. If you are two mins late he will embarasse you. And don't mispronounce anything or he will embarasse you too.

4/6/08

rel197

I have now taken two of Boyer's classes and love them. This was the star wars class. I found it very enjoyable even though I am not a star wars fan. I only had to do 3 disscusion sheets.

11/5/07

REL319

I found this class very intresting and look at films in a different light now. Lots of papers! Yes, it is a religion class so biblical ideas are involved. He simply stated ideas of Bible can be mimicked in movies as well as universal. He did not imply that he did or did not believe parts of the Bible at least in the summer session.

4/24/07

REL197

I took his Shyamalan & Religion class and had a lot of fun. All we did was watch Shyamalan's movies and talk religious themes. Some of his interpretations were a little far fetched, but he was fun to listen to. If it's a small room, get a seat near the back because he can PROJECT! Only had to do film discussion sheets on 3 films. Good communicator!

11/6/06

REl101

i took his old testament class over the summer and was skeptical at first but really, really enjoyed the class. He is by far one of the best instructors I have ever had and he makes you use your head and apply yourself but in a constructive way so that you will actually be able to take something from this class feeling more knowledgeable.

7/2/06

old testament

very nice and communicates well. would reccomend!

5/11/05

New Testament

I took this class in 1998, and I STILL think about it. He really makes you think in ways people are generally not used to thinking in, so because of that the class can be difficult. But, it's worth it. I learned SO much. Because of this class, I got my minor in religious studies.

4/6/05

REL 102

He is very knowledgable on the subject. The only caution is that you cannot take the Bible as complete truth. Fair warning to Fundamentalists, he tries to get you to INTERPRET the Bible.

1/12/05