in Virginia Western Community College that teach Biology Edit
C+
1.7

09/03/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I felt like she enjoyed tricking us. Some of the tests and projects were just goofy and time consuming. It didn't seem like it was about education- it was just about giving her what she wanted. The harder I worked the worse I did. It was just a guessing game the whole time. I liked her as a person, but not as a professor.

08/07/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Would not recommend her, especially not for a summer class. She demanded an excessive amount of time in order to succeed in her class. Her teaching style includes monotonous lectures with hundreds of slides for each chapter. She does a poor job of emphasizing key concepts and explaining them while expecting u to know it come exam time.

08/04/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: C

I don't recommend her for everyone. You have to be able to teach yourself the material. She spent alot of class time just asking questions. She doesn't explain things well, and if you ask a question it will most likely be returned with her asking YOU more questions. Overall it was an annoying experience. She expected us to figure it out ourselves.

08/01/2014
Bio142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I took this course in 5 weeks over summer. WORST IDEA EVER. Mrs. Deaver is very nice, smart and helpful... but I'm not a fan of her teaching style. She only reads the powerpoints and does a really bad job at explaining concepts. Thank God for Kahn Academy. I managed to get a B but worked my butt off and feel like I didn't learn very much.

07/30/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Where to begin? Professor Deavers is really nice and very knowledgeable about the subject matter, however, she should not be allowed to lecture. She mentioned to our class that this was her first time teaching BIO 142 and it clearly showed. She was so hard to follow and all over the place. There are better options for this course than her.

07/29/2014
good
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Never take a 5 week class! With that being said, Ms. Deaver did whatever she could to make it fun and interesting. The work load was a lot, but what else would expect in 5 weeks. A lot of writing and case studies, but it really helped the concepts click that lecture couldn't. Overall, excellent teacher, but awful time frame.

06/23/2014
BIO 141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I took Mrs. Deaver's BIO 141 course, she seems to expect every one to be on the same level as she is. Her test and Lab Practicals were very difficult and she doesn't teach very well. I wouldn't recommend her to another student.

04/27/2014
good
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Ms. Deaver is so fun and engaging. She really seems to love Biology and tries to bring in new material and interesting stuff. I struggled at first, but have worked with her to bring my grade up! So sad she isn't teaching 102.

04/13/2014
good
BIO 141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Mrs. Deaver is awesome. Very hard, but truly loves Biology and teaching. She will do whatever she can to help a student!

03/17/2014
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Stacie is a hard teacher, but she knows what she's talking about, but I wish that she would be more clearer. She lectures like we're supposed to be on her same level, which is master's, once a PhD student at Tech. Her tests are difficult and the little "in-class" assignments may help your grade. My advice is to read the book.

03/03/2014
good
bio101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Mrs. Deaver is a wonderful teacher! If you have any problems just ask her, and she will do everything to help you! She doesn't use the textbook in class, but her PowerPoint slides come straight out of the book.

02/18/2014
BIO 141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Horrible experiance!

02/05/2014
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: C-

Very enthusiastic...but tests were hard. We had homework due before every test..which could be good for some because if you do it over time it may help your grade. Final was easy..I personally didnt study enough, if I did I would have scored a lot higher. I wouldnt recommend her to anyone tho.

01/22/2014
good

Awesome teacher! Hard, but if you do the work you will pass. Definitely one of the best teachers I have had in college. Taking her for 141 now and am so excited!

01/07/2014
good
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Mrs. Deaver is a tough teacher, but if you do the work, show up to class, and study hard you will pass this class. You can tell she really loves biology and is passionate about teaching it. She's kind and very helpful!

12/04/2013
good
biology 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: B

I loved Mrs. Deaver. She really loves Biology and does everything she can to make sure her students understand. She is a very difficult teacher, but this is college and you have to work hard. I would definitely recommend her. I would be taking her for 102 if I could but she isn't teaching 102 next semester.

10/06/2013
Bio 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: WD

I went to see Professor Deaver about her Biology 201 class and everytime I would ask her a question she was straight up rude and not professional at all. I would suggest that all students stay away from her because she is not there for us but for herself!

09/01/2013
BIO141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I dropped Ms. Deaver's class for fear of not passing. Her expectations and standards for the class is set way out of my rim. On the 1st day of class her Blackboard was not prepared and functional. If taking her class you better know Chemistry and biology very well or you will fail per her quote in class. Projects are assigned exams every other week

07/30/2013
good
BIO 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Mrs. Deaver is the nicest teacher I have had at Virginia Western! She is very difficult, but clear in her expectations. She will do anything to help a student succeed as long as YOU work and try in the class. Go see her outside of class time and she will do anything she can to help you out!

05/31/2013
good

She worked super hard to make sure that the material was presented in a multitude of different ways. She tends to focus on the small aspects,that normally fall through the cracks, which sometimes causes the "big picture" to fall out of focus. She gives multiple extra credit opportunities. As long as you communicate with her, she helps!