in Virginia Western Community College that teach Biology Edit
C+
1.7

09/03/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I felt like she enjoyed tricking us. Some of the tests and projects were just goofy and time consuming. It didn't seem like it was about education- it was just about giving her what she wanted. The harder I worked the worse I did. It was just a guessing game the whole time. I liked her as a person, but not as a professor.

08/07/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Would not recommend her, especially not for a summer class. She demanded an excessive amount of time in order to succeed in her class. Her teaching style includes monotonous lectures with hundreds of slides for each chapter. She does a poor job of emphasizing key concepts and explaining them while expecting u to know it come exam time.

08/04/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: C

I don't recommend her for everyone. You have to be able to teach yourself the material. She spent alot of class time just asking questions. She doesn't explain things well, and if you ask a question it will most likely be returned with her asking YOU more questions. Overall it was an annoying experience. She expected us to figure it out ourselves.

08/01/2014
Bio142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I took this course in 5 weeks over summer. WORST IDEA EVER. Mrs. Deaver is very nice, smart and helpful... but I'm not a fan of her teaching style. She only reads the powerpoints and does a really bad job at explaining concepts. Thank God for Kahn Academy. I managed to get a B but worked my butt off and feel like I didn't learn very much.

07/30/2014
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Where to begin? Professor Deavers is really nice and very knowledgeable about the subject matter, however, she should not be allowed to lecture. She mentioned to our class that this was her first time teaching BIO 142 and it clearly showed. She was so hard to follow and all over the place. There are better options for this course than her.

07/29/2014
good
BIO 142 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Never take a 5 week class! With that being said, Ms. Deaver did whatever she could to make it fun and interesting. The work load was a lot, but what else would expect in 5 weeks. A lot of writing and case studies, but it really helped the concepts click that lecture couldn't. Overall, excellent teacher, but awful time frame.

06/23/2014
BIO 141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I took Mrs. Deaver's BIO 141 course, she seems to expect every one to be on the same level as she is. Her test and Lab Practicals were very difficult and she doesn't teach very well. I wouldn't recommend her to another student.

04/27/2014
good
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Ms. Deaver is so fun and engaging. She really seems to love Biology and tries to bring in new material and interesting stuff. I struggled at first, but have worked with her to bring my grade up! So sad she isn't teaching 102.

04/13/2014
good
BIO 141 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Mrs. Deaver is awesome. Very hard, but truly loves Biology and teaching. She will do whatever she can to help a student!

03/17/2014
BIO 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Stacie is a hard teacher, but she knows what she's talking about, but I wish that she would be more clearer. She lectures like we're supposed to be on her same level, which is master's, once a PhD student at Tech. Her tests are difficult and the little "in-class" assignments may help your grade. My advice is to read the book.