John Hodgson at Cameron University

John Hodgson

Number of ratings 30 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

11/26/13

ENGL 3043

What a great professor. He is VERY knowledgable, and you can tell he's passionate about his work. People rag on him about being too harsh, but there are certain expectations that you need to be prepared to meet going into upper-division English courses with him. I learned more from him than I have from almost anyone else. Take him. You deserve it!

11/18/13

ENGL

He teaches English Comp I and II. Both classes are intensive (each class has a lot of assigned readings and four papers). However, he is very helpful if you stop by his office or ask him questions in class. He knows what he is talking about and is probably one of the smartest professors on campus. It's hard work, but he is always here to help you.

10/8/13

Eng 101

The toughest instructor I ever had, but I learned a lot from him.

9/30/13

ENGL 3053

I had Hodgson for an instructor a couple times. He expects to have students to talk to while in class, so read the assigned pages. Work on your essays and REVISE them. He emphasizes the revision process and wants your best work. Overall a fantastic instructor.

5/15/13

ENGL3113

Shakespeare was the first class I took with Hodgson. Really great professor. The course was definitely not easy. I came into the course with a strong dislike for Shakespeare, but he really sparked my interest because he really knows his stuff. He'll teach you a lot about writing well. Every English major should take him at least once.

4/26/13

ENGL ----

He is really a nice guy. He'll help you if you are struggling. My major was English, so I took a few classes with him. I always learned quite a bit, and he's very informed and imaginative. I will warn you to follow directions on assignments, and he likes students to be active participants in his classes.

7/12/12

ENG1213

Dr. Hodgson is a wonderful professor. His class is challenging, but not overly so. I liked that he was clear from the beginning about what he expected. I learned a great deal about writing from him. Howevever, he DOES take daily attendance and expects students to participate. Pay attention, do the readings, participate and put forth the effort.

12/20/11

ENGL1113

Hodson is an amazing professor. Everyone will tell you he is hard, but if you just put forth the effort and answer the questions he asks in class, you'll pass. Your opinion matters in his class, and that's all he wants.

12/8/11

ENGL3053

Took Survey of Brit Lit since 1800 and Shakespeare with Dr. Hodgson. Difficult professor and a difficult subject (esp. early British lit). He has high expectations for his students and he lets you know, which I think is good. He expects you to read what he assigns! Definitely one of the better professors in the English department.

5/21/11

ENG303

I had Dr. Hodgson for Shakespeare, English Lit Thru Renaissance, and Intro to English Lit. He's tough, but will give you all the help you need. He always has time for a student during his office hours, and wrote me a great letter of recommendation. Anyone who wants a teacher who is passionate about the subject should go with John.

1/8/11

ENG3003

If you are a non-English major, looking to for an easy elective, this may not be your best bet. However, Hodgson definitely knows his stuff and the class was pretty enjoyable. As far as workload, be sure to expect at least two journal entries per week, readings every nite, and 4 formal essays.

12/17/10

ENGL3003

Don't take his class if your looking to slide through. He's rough. He'll take your papers and make them bleed, but he's right. While his interpretation of particular works is rather narrow, he's willing to listen to a good argument. I'm not sure if I even passed, but I know that I'm better student now than when I started.

8/19/10

ENG1113

His methods are straight forward, no BS. He instructs a level one course at a level three, the benefit is you walk out of his class a better writer.

7/2/10

Engl1Hon

I learnt a lot in this class and I remember everything till date. He helped me develop a great style of writing and he is very understandable too.

4/8/09

Engl1113

Great teacher. Tough, but very helpful and understanding.

3/31/09

ENG1113

Good professor willing to help if you do the work

7/30/08

EnglComp

Great teacher.

4/4/06

Online magazine

Great class, good prof.

10/24/05

Comp 1

This guy cares way too much. He makes you work hard and you still may not get an A. Long assignments and lots of homework.

4/13/05

Comp I

He expects you to work hard, but it was a good class. I learned a lot from him.

More English professors at Cameron University