in University of Tennessee - Knoxville that teach Chemistry Edit
at University of Tennessee - Knoxville, Knoxville, TN
are you Bruce Bursten?

06/30/2014
good
CHEM430 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Best chemistry teacher- actually best teacher in general- I've had at UT. The material was difficult, but his teaching style and presentation of the concepts made it manageable and fun. We learned so much, and I actually looked forward to doing the homework. He really loves what he teaches, which made me love it too!

05/03/2014
good
Chem 430 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Bursten was a brilliant professor. He was extremely clear and presented the complex subject matter in an approachable way. As the former ACS president, he is a great speaker and entertaining guy. His tests were quite difficult, but he massaged the grades at the end of the course to adjust for how difficult the exams were.

03/07/2014
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Bursten loves chemistry and teaching. He invests a lot of time into making sure his students learn the material outside of lecture. Exams were difficult, and reading the textbook is necessary (Hint: HE WROTE THE TEXTBOOK). Take advantage of office hours and problem solving sessions. I feel well-prepared for any future chemistry classes.

01/29/2014
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Bursten is GREAT! If you talk to him and sit in the front of the class, he will know your name, and he will curve your grade at the end! You need to read the book, but he isn't tricky. He even agreed to be a reference for me in the future! TAKE HIM IF YOU CAN

01/12/2014
CHEM120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

One of the hardest classes I've taken so far! Honestly, I should have gone to class more but I did well on homework and labs yet still came out with a D. If you take this class MAKE SURE you study and know the material before exams. If not, you'll fail because they're multiple choice (no partial credit).

01/10/2014
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Bursten is such a wonderful professor! He is extremely helpful, passionate about the subject as well as his students, and is willing to do a lot to help his students succeed. Yes, the class does require some work, but if you keep up and stay on top of what is discussed in lectures, you will learn a lot and finish with a good grade!

01/08/2014
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A+

I had him for Fall 2013. He is a great teacher, and a nice guy. He is very passionate about Chemistry. MUCH better than Barnes. I have Barnes right now, and I miss old Brucie! Caveat: on days that attendance is expected to be low (i.e. before break, Thanksgiving, etc.) he will give some form of extra credit. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND him.

01/03/2014
good
CHEM120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: B-

Probably one of the coolest professors at the University, but at the same time probably one of the hardest professors. You MUST read the book to do well on his tests, and in my opinion you better be good at chemistry or you'll do poorly in the class. NOT FOR INTERMEDIATE STUDENTS!

12/17/2013
good
Chem 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

This class is not a cakewalk. It is extremely tough compared to the other classes. Unless you are a serious science major, take Barnes because her class is significantly easier. That being said, if you intend to carry on in science and are interested in chemistry, you NEED to take Bursten. You will know the material so much better if you do.

12/15/2013
good
CHEM120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I hate chemistry, but Bursten made it enjoyable. He's a very fun teacher, helpful, and cares about his students. He doesn't take attendance, but unless you're a chemistry genius you should attend class to know what's going on. In the end would've gotten a better grade if I attended class and didn't have a communication barrier with my TA.

good
Chem120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Dr. Bursten was excellent in my opinion. He explains concepts very well and very clearly. However, his exams are challenging. Aside from the final they are generally 30-35 multiple choice questions, therefore no partial credit. However if you do your mastering, go to lecture, and take notes you should be fine.

good
chem 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The Best professor ever and a wonderful person whether outside class before class in lab during office hours, he is there if you are willing to seek help. His teaching style is awesome even helped me out during organic chemistry class. Just pay attention answer his questions go to office hours and you will make an A 10/10 for Dr Bursten.

good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Started the semester off with a Breaking Bad video... He coauthored the book. Can't get much better than this, folks. He loves what he does. 3 Exams, all multi choice; 6 quizzes. An 85 or higher is an A/A- .. Go to the lectures, sit up front. He is a very interactive prof. The guy is president of the American Chemical Society. What more can I say.

12/09/2013
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Bursten explains concepts very well and holds problem-solving sessions and office hours. With that said, you MUST read the book. If you don't you are guaranteed to not do well in his class.Exams are quite difficult and mostly conceptual. He may be challenging, but you will find yourself learning the concepts very well.

12/07/2013
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Honestly, I'll probably end up with a D in this class, but I don't have a bad thing to say about Bursten. He provides you with all the help and resources to succeed. You HAVE to put forth effort though because it's tough, but you will definitely learn the material with Dr. Bursten.

12/07/2013
good
CHEM120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I absolutely HATED chemistry prior to taking this class. This man has made me think harder and apply myself. He is the best teacher I've ever had. This class is not easy, but I know SO MUCH MORE than my roomate who is taking the same class with a different instructor. Bursten cares and makes lecture interesting. Very glad i took this class.

12/05/2013
good
120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Bursten is a very good professor. The tests are hard, but you just have to put the work into it. I looked at my friends' material in chem 120 with other professors, and their material was much easier, but I knew a lot more chem than they did so it works out. I came to college hating chemistry and now love it. I would recommend

12/05/2013
Chem 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

The first few lectures are really entertaining, but then they become very boring. The lectures go over my head because he teaches it like we should know as much as him. Tests are EXTREMELY hard. I would study for forever and still make a C or D. I would avoid him if possible.

12/03/2013
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: A

Professor Bursten is an excellent chemistry teacher. He truly loves what he does, and it shows in his lectures. Go to office hours and/or his optional problem-solving sessions for help. You do have to study a moderate amount for this course; the material is not easy, but Prof. Bursten makes it interesting and you will really learn what you need to.

12/03/2013
good
CHEM 120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

His class is wicked hard, but I have learned so much and he is VERY helpful if you attend his office hours or problem solving sessions he offers. His lectures generally tend to go over my head, but attending his office hours greatly helps to understand the material. He is a great teacher and genuinely cares about his students' education.