Bruce E. Bursten at University of Tennessee - Knoxville

Bruce E. Bursten

Number of ratings 37 / Average Grade:  B+ Submit a correction

3/7/14

CHEM 120

Bursten loves chemistry and teaching. He invests a lot of time into making sure his students learn the material outside of lecture. Exams were difficult, and reading the textbook is necessary (Hint: HE WROTE THE TEXTBOOK). Take advantage of office hours and problem solving sessions. I feel well-prepared for any future chemistry classes.

1/29/14

CHEM 120

Bursten is GREAT! If you talk to him and sit in the front of the class, he will know your name, and he will curve your grade at the end! You need to read the book, but he isn't tricky. He even agreed to be a reference for me in the future! TAKE HIM IF YOU CAN

1/12/14

CHEM120

One of the hardest classes I've taken so far! Honestly, I should have gone to class more but I did well on homework and labs yet still came out with a D. If you take this class MAKE SURE you study and know the material before exams. If not, you'll fail because they're multiple choice (no partial credit).

1/10/14

CHEM 120

Dr. Bursten is such a wonderful professor! He is extremely helpful, passionate about the subject as well as his students, and is willing to do a lot to help his students succeed. Yes, the class does require some work, but if you keep up and stay on top of what is discussed in lectures, you will learn a lot and finish with a good grade!

1/8/14

Grade ReceivedA+

I had him for Fall 2013. He is a great teacher, and a nice guy. He is very passionate about Chemistry. MUCH better than Barnes. I have Barnes right now, and I miss old Brucie! Caveat: on days that attendance is expected to be low (i.e. before break, Thanksgiving, etc.) he will give some form of extra credit. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND him.

1/3/14

Grade ReceivedB-

Probably one of the coolest professors at the University, but at the same time probably one of the hardest professors. You MUST read the book to do well on his tests, and in my opinion you better be good at chemistry or you'll do poorly in the class. NOT FOR INTERMEDIATE STUDENTS!

12/17/13

Chem 120

This class is not a cakewalk. It is extremely tough compared to the other classes. Unless you are a serious science major, take Barnes because her class is significantly easier. That being said, if you intend to carry on in science and are interested in chemistry, you NEED to take Bursten. You will know the material so much better if you do.

12/15/13

CHEM120

I hate chemistry, but Bursten made it enjoyable. He's a very fun teacher, helpful, and cares about his students. He doesn't take attendance, but unless you're a chemistry genius you should attend class to know what's going on. In the end would've gotten a better grade if I attended class and didn't have a communication barrier with my TA.

Chem120

Dr. Bursten was excellent in my opinion. He explains concepts very well and very clearly. However, his exams are challenging. Aside from the final they are generally 30-35 multiple choice questions, therefore no partial credit. However if you do your mastering, go to lecture, and take notes you should be fine.

chem 120

The Best professor ever and a wonderful person whether outside class before class in lab during office hours, he is there if you are willing to seek help. His teaching style is awesome even helped me out during organic chemistry class. Just pay attention answer his questions go to office hours and you will make an A 10/10 for Dr Bursten.

CHEM 120

Started the semester off with a Breaking Bad video... He coauthored the book. Can't get much better than this, folks. He loves what he does. 3 Exams, all multi choice; 6 quizzes. An 85 or higher is an A/A- .. Go to the lectures, sit up front. He is a very interactive prof. The guy is president of the American Chemical Society. What more can I say.

12/9/13

CHEM 120

Dr. Bursten explains concepts very well and holds problem-solving sessions and office hours. With that said, you MUST read the book. If you don't you are guaranteed to not do well in his class.Exams are quite difficult and mostly conceptual. He may be challenging, but you will find yourself learning the concepts very well.

12/7/13

CHEM 120

Honestly, I'll probably end up with a D in this class, but I don't have a bad thing to say about Bursten. He provides you with all the help and resources to succeed. You HAVE to put forth effort though because it's tough, but you will definitely learn the material with Dr. Bursten.

12/7/13

CHEM120

I absolutely HATED chemistry prior to taking this class. This man has made me think harder and apply myself. He is the best teacher I've ever had. This class is not easy, but I know SO MUCH MORE than my roomate who is taking the same class with a different instructor. Bursten cares and makes lecture interesting. Very glad i took this class.

12/5/13

Dr. Bursten is a very good professor. The tests are hard, but you just have to put the work into it. I looked at my friends' material in chem 120 with other professors, and their material was much easier, but I knew a lot more chem than they did so it works out. I came to college hating chemistry and now love it. I would recommend

12/5/13

Chem 120

The first few lectures are really entertaining, but then they become very boring. The lectures go over my head because he teaches it like we should know as much as him. Tests are EXTREMELY hard. I would study for forever and still make a C or D. I would avoid him if possible.

CHEM 120

Professor Bursten is an excellent chemistry teacher. He truly loves what he does, and it shows in his lectures. Go to office hours and/or his optional problem-solving sessions for help. You do have to study a moderate amount for this course; the material is not easy, but Prof. Bursten makes it interesting and you will really learn what you need to.

CHEM 120

His class is wicked hard, but I have learned so much and he is VERY helpful if you attend his office hours or problem solving sessions he offers. His lectures generally tend to go over my head, but attending his office hours greatly helps to understand the material. He is a great teacher and genuinely cares about his students' education.

CHEM 430

Dr. Bursten gets 5/5 in my book. CHEM 430 is not an easy class to begin with but Dr. Bursten's style of teaching made the material much easier to learn vice taking it with another instructor in my opinion. He is very knowledgeable about the material and really cares about his students. Dr. Bursten was one of the best chemistry teachers I've had.

12/2/13

CHEM120

Professor Bursten is really passionate about Chemistry and teaching, but his tests are VERY CHALLENGING. I studied for days before the exams and I still couldn't pull anything higher than a C on his tests. But he's really nice and will give you help if you need it!

More Chemistry professors at University of Tennessee - Knoxville