James Baumlin at Missouri State University

James Baumlin

Number of ratings 44 / Average Grade:  A+ Submit a correction

2/1/14

ENG 110

Dr. Baumlin expected a lot, but he's the kind of professor who is so good you want to do your best. I took this class honors and there are five papers and several shorter assignments. He's a fairly easy grader, but there is a fair bit of work involved for a 110 class.

1/10/14

ENG 235

Dr. B was easily the best English teacher I have ever had. I learned so much from him. His classes were always interesting and he cares about his students. Pop quizzes are given randomly so going to class is important. I definitely recommend him! Take him if you can you will learn a lot!

12/13/13

ENG543

His class is never boring. However his lectures are not particularly well organized and he does sometimes talk at length about things that don't pertain to the topic at hand. It's difficult to discern what he wants on his tests.

10/30/13

ENG 235

Interesting professor, talks about some off-the-wall things and is fairly funny. You will learn *tons* in his class. Use lots of quotes.

10/3/13

ENG 543

Mixed feelings about this one. Gives fun lectures and sometimes appears to do so without any real sense of direction. He's obviously brilliant and expects that to be enough to carry him through the days he doesn't have a plan. Is occasionally abrupt and is probably unaware that he's rude. He grades with a fair hand.

8/20/13

Eng 287

Grade ReceivedA+

Dr. Baumlin is a fabulous professor and a great man. He is so wise, and I learned so much from him and his experiences. tough class, but very rewarding and he is VERY helpful. If you are looking for a class to learn and to get something out of, take Dr. Baumlin.

1/22/13

ENG001

This would be my third class with Dr. B. He is my absolute favorite professor. He brought my writing to a whole new level and made me feel wiser.He is so lively. I wake up from my nap,go to his class groggy, and by the time I leave I am wide awake and excited! Wonderful professor! True Scholar!

12/4/12

Eng287

Baumlin has so many wonderful perspectives and outlooks on life. I felt as if I was in a philosophy class more then anything. Pretty easy on grading tests and papers, however, in my class we read 5 novels. That's the only downfall. I would recommend him to any english major! Extremely enlightening!

11/16/12

ENG287

I've had Dr. Baumlin twice. He has been such an influence on my academic and personal thinking. He is a fabulous and profound man. I will warn you, if you are not an English major... Take someone else! As an English major, though, he is one of the greatest minds that you can encounter and work with.

5/20/12

ENG235

I took ENG 235 in 2004, my 2nd semester of college, & Jim Baumlin stands out in my mind as being as one of the biggest influences on my thinking & personal evolution. I remember being completely engrossed in class, my mind racing to bend itself around concepts and ideas that I'd never considered before. Don't miss a chance to learn from this man.

5/2/12

ENG235

The man is a true scholar. Insanely smart and funny. The work can be a challenge but he has good advice and helps steer papers in the right direction during critiques. Sometimes class can get bogged down in discussions that aren't necessarily related to the material, but at least you learn something no matter what.

12/10/11

ENG110

He is interesting as a person, just not a very good teacher. I took English 110 expecting to learn the ins and outs of writing in college, and we talked more about philosophy and art than English. Like I said, nice guy, but not useful for the classes he is teaching.

11/9/11

ENG110

He is a true scholar. He will help guide you to being a better writer, but you will also have to put in your share of work too. He does grade sort of generously on papers if it really seems like you did your best. Could be more clear but hey not bad.

11/4/11

ENG235

He's so funny! Very knowledgeable and helpful. Only assignments were readings and required papers since it's a lit. analysis class. Grades... medium I guess. He's not easy, but not a harda** either. Make sure to do the readings b/c he has quizzes every once in a while. Offers points for attendance at occasional ENG Dept readings. Not often though.

8/14/11

GEP101

Okay, he's a nice guy but he made absolutely no sense. The GEP101 class was a waste of time. We talked about random stuff like auras and Eastern medicine. He gave a lot of online quizzes (which are easy to miss or forget about). Not a difficult class but certainly a pointless one.

4/17/11

ENG110H

Awkwardly funny, always pushing the bounds and had a very free and discussion based class. If you actually put effort into your papers (the only assignments you have) he'll respect you and you do well.

12/30/10

GEP101

AWESOME TEACHER! Would definitely recommend him! If you have to take GEP take it with him! Very easy course and I learned a lot about myself.

7/14/10

ENG110H

He was a very interesting professor. Better yet, he forces you to improve your writing no matter how good you are. Interesting man. I'd take his class again.

4/19/10

ENG205

This was the best class I have taken at Missouri State, so far. He is helpful and flexible with due dates (if you ask in advance). Also very understanding. I got an A in this class, and although it involved some work, it wasn't ridiculous. You break off into groups of two to peer review work, so it helps to fix any errors in advance.

3/26/10

ENG205

This class was so much fun and was the only one I actually looked forward to going to! The discussions were open and he loved listening to others opinions. He was very helpful and willing to spend time with students.

More English professors at Missouri State University