Ralph Ostrich at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)

Ralph Ostrich

Number of ratings 42 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/18/13

HIS 121

Horribly boring. Doesn't use the textbook for lectures but the multiple choice questions are out of the textbook. Goes off on random nonsensical tangents all the time. Take note and read the pages out of the textbook he will give you. He is very condescending even after I corrected him several times when he was wrong. He is too old to teach.

6/28/13

HIS 101

A teacher with funny stories to tell if you'd care to listen. Gives you all you need to know and more for the two tests he has. He gives no homework and does not use the textbook in class. He relies on the student to read and study for the tests (what a concept right?). I would suggest taking his class in Fall or Spring as opposed to Summer.

5/1/13

his 101

DO NOT TAKE.!!! He does not teach. He just lectures and does two test. Test are hard. Does not follow syllabus or lecture notes

4/24/13

HIST 101

He isn't consistent or helpful and when you ask him a question he either makes a bad joke or tells you to shut up. He is disrespectful and patronizing. I learned nothing from him and his methods of grading and scheduling are terrible.

12/9/12

CIV101

Old man who likes to talk a lot. He gets most of the knowledge across in his lectures, but goes on tangents about random things all the time. Good class though, and interesting. PS- Turn off the projector. It annoys him.

12/2/12

HIS101

Great professor and a good Man!

10/25/12

HIS101

NO homeworks to turn in. 2 exams. Does not use technology. Only talks. His notes are hard to follow when he lectures because he jumps around. Notes and book are hard to compare. Syllabus is a waste because he never follows it. Everyone in my class either slept, on their phone, or left early. I only took him because I had hard classes.

9/5/12

Hist043A

He knows his stuff - probably best teacher I've ever had, I learned - but mostly because he made me want to.

4/30/12

HIS101

He is a funny man!keeps the class up & tell the exam blank questions while lecturing.I don't know why people are complaining,he was extremely helpful and knows history so well.I'm glad that i took his class.Easy A if you attend class, HW is just read chapters but he will tell you what will be in the test. highly recommended.Will learn and easy A.

12/6/11

HIS101

He is a nice old man, but def. not good teacher. The goals are not clearly stated, which makes you wonder what's gonna be on the test and what you should memorize. Tests are multiple choice and fill the blanks. If you want an A, or if you really want to learn something, don't take him. If all you want is not have homework, then he might work for u

1/12/11

hist121

On the final exam he walked out of the room for 10 min and EVERYONE gave each other the answers.Keep in mind I had rolled in almost 45 min late and I forgot the final exam was that day.I ended up with a B in the end.He is kind of infuriating because he doesn't really go over all the material on the test.make sure you go on review day and record lec

8/25/10

his101

He's a sweet old man. Very nice. I pass the class with an A!!! I was never in there and on top of that we never had homework!!! The exam were easy and he's sweet!

11/17/09

HIS102

Prof. Ostrich is my favorite teacher at NOVA. If all you care about is getting an A I suggest you find another teacher, but if you like history and want to learn it well please take Prof. Ostrich. He can talk the entire length of class about almost any historical subject without the use of notes. Also one of the nicest people I've ever met.

7/2/08

HIST101

Worst professor I've ever had!! Do not take his class if you can help it. I like History but he is almost impossible to follow.

1/30/08

HIS121

I had HIST 121, and it was horrible. I got A's in every other class except his, because he was so unclear. I asked him if we could have a group discussion or something in class to help us absorb the material better, and he said,"Most of you don't know enough to have a discussion." That's just great, coming from a professor. Avoid him.

12/26/07

HIST101

As long as you take good notes during the lectures and write down what he tells you (& study the notes) you should easily pass. Hands out very helpful study guides before the tests. Only had one paper to write as the final. Want to take his classes for all my history classes!

12/18/07

His101

You all are just big babies. Read the chapters, write everything he puts on the board. Thats it, his tests are hard but he grades on a curve my 61 was an A all year.

12/18/07

HIS121

There is no doubt he knows his stuff, dates, names and everything off the top of his head, his class will help you prepare for the next level of college courses, but what he goes over in the class/lectures is very different from what is on the two tests that are dependent on your grade. Good guy, but wouldnt take the class again.

8/28/07

HisT121

He gives lecture only and lecture only. He is prety old and its hard to understand. Everyone in my class fall sleep when he gave lecture. Let me just say this History is not hard. in his class you are all on your own.There are only two tests in his class thats the only thing i like about him.

5/16/07

HIS101

Um, ok. Let me just say that I had this guy's class at 9 AM during the summer. It was boring and one of the sort of annoying things about him is that he can't really hear well. So, when you ask him a question, you end up repeating yourself a lot. Anyway, he's ok. A bit boring and the tests are hard, but he's by no means a bad guy. Give him a chance

More History professors at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)