Demian Hommel at Oregon State University

Demian Hommel

Number of ratings 23 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

3/30/14

GEO 106

Very nice guy with tons of knowledge. Has actually visited the places learned. Tests were extremely easy. I got a 100% on both the midterm and the final. The topics learned are actually interesting with quest speakers.

3/8/14

GEO 329

Demian is a great professor and his class is very different. There is no Midterms/Final and all you need to do is the assignments(presentation, papers). However, you may learn a lot from doing the assignments. For example, I learned a lot about my hometown while doing research. Overall, it's a good class and he's very helpful even outside of class.

2/25/14

geo 350

Grade ReceivedB+

Demian Hommel is one of the most original and engaging professors I have had in my long college career. every part of my experience was enjoyable and I found myself becoming more and more interested in the course material with each passing class. Would jump at the chance to take any of his classes.

2/24/14

GEO329

His class is unconventionally structured but for this reason I got a lot out of it. We watched a lot of videos and had discussions about connections rather than memorizing facts. Honestly, I have learned more about "where and why" in this class then my History classes. I highly recommend the class.

2/11/14

Geo 329

Demian is a very nice guy who cares about his students. Its nice to not have due dates on assignments. The class days was pretty much watching videos and then discussing so if you like that format this class is for you. I felt bad actually because every day 20+ students wouldn't show up to class. There is also a presentation you have to give

2/6/14

Geo 329

Unlike a normal geography class which can be a simple memorize maps class this class explores the why things are the way they are and where things are the places they are.I have found this to be a very interesting class so far and the best part is that everything is at your own pace turn things in when you want to I would highly recommend the class

1/29/14

Geo 329

Found his class to be very unstructured, unclear, and miserable. Time was spent watching ted talks videos on world war 2. Haven't learned any geography on the US & Canada which is disappointing for students that want to learn geography. No real clear teaching, assignments are unclear and a presentation is required. Would not recommend his class.

1/1/14

Geo350

Geo350 was one of my favorite classes ever. Very innovative. Highly recommended.

12/18/13

Geo106

I liked Geo106. I felt like we covered so much more than my other classes. The tests were hard but lecture was interesting. Recitation not so much.

12/6/13

GEO106

The book was fun, but Hommel sucked at teaching. He just didn't give a lot of info and I felt so unprepared for the tests. He was also kinda cocky and tried to act "cool".

11/29/13

GEO 326

This has been my favorite course so far, Demian is awesome! I would take one of his courses again in a heartbeat! If you do the reading and participate in discussions you're sure to get an A!

6/5/13

geo 106

This class was a lot of work for a 100 level. Quizes every two weeks and lots of outside work mandatory to do well. Prof, Hommel is funny and engaging and makes class interesting. HOWEVER, the tests are pretty hard for a 100 level course. Wouldn't classify it as an easy A...maybe an easy B. Attendance is basically mandatory for recitation.

5/23/13

GEO 326

The online class with him is unbearable. He has us read WAY too much and take notes on basically everything in the book (or else you won't do good on the quizzes at all). Ain't nobody got time for that! I feel like we were just told to read and memorize every little detail from the book. There was no teaching involved.

4/28/13

GEO106

Dr. Hommel is awesome. He's a really funny professor and very engaging. He sometimes goes off topic and the class assignments/expectations can sometimes be a bit fuzzy (as well as the grading scale for tests), but overall it was a very good class. And the Plaid Avenger textbook was awesome!

3/31/13

GEO 106

Professor likes to take different approach than boring lecture & map quizzes. He entertains the class with his slides and interest. Recommend class with him. Easy 1 page essay each week with him.

3/22/13

Geo350 Geo329

I can see how some students don't like Demian's classes--they're not the typical memorize this for the test format. He bases his classes on critical thinking and big questions not small details and correct answers. I've had two so far and I really liked them, even if I have more questions by the end

3/19/13

GEO 326

I don't know what he was trying to teach but I didn't learn a damn thing about the geography of Europe, he mostly talked about why we shouldn't be in college and made us watch TED talks nearly everyday in class. He's a nice guy and he's passionate, just not about the things he was supposed to teach us.

3/7/13

Geo329

Not what i expected but turning into my favorite class at OSU. Very inspirational.

3/6/13

Geo 106

Hommel uses memes in his lectures and is hilarious! He brought guest speakers in for the different countries we studied. The best thing is we didn't memorize names of rivers and boring stuff, we really just learned about the countries. AWESOME PROFESSOR!!

3/6/13

GEO329

Very different geography class than I think a lot of people were expecting, but in a very good way. It's a little hard to understand exactly what he wants from you on your assignments (this is the first time he's taught a geo class this way I think) but in-class discussions are intelligent and helpful. Highly recommend taking his class(es).

More Geography professors at Oregon State University