in York University that teach Psychology Edit
are you Lisa Fiksenbaum?
D
12/15/2014
good
3630 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Skip class? You won't pass." "Get ready to read"

I found the material and lectures very interesting. If you aren't willing to work, you better shop around. This is university. If you aren't willing to do the work, you should get a job at McDonald's

12/14/2014
Social Psyc Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tests are tough" "Get ready to read" "Tough Grader"

This professor is very hard to approach. She is almost condescending and is very inflexible. Her short answer questions are very hard and the multiple choice on her test were also tough but not nearly as hard as her short answer. I dropped out of her course because she was a plain terrible prof and I was getting an A in her class.

12/13/2014
Social Psych Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A
"Get ready to read" "Tests are tough" "Tough Grader"

Lectures are boring and tests are tough! I have a high GPA and study hard, but it was really unclear what she was looking for on the tests. Her slides added new info that wasn't in the textbook, and there's a LOT to cover in the textbook. Also she posts partially blank slides to force ppl into class! This could be a good subject with a better prof.

12/04/2014
PSYC 3630 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tough Grader" "Skip class? You won't pass." "Tests are tough"

Tests were unreasonable. I'm an A student and I got an A in this class but it felt like the short answer was created to trick students. Prof asks ?s about concepts referred to in passing. Most students failed the short answer part of our exams so it's puzzling to me why the prof didn't make changes accordingly. Multiple choice was fair-easy.

11/28/2014
PSYC 3660 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tough Grader" "Tests are tough"

It's pretty telling that on the two tests we've had so far, only ONE person has gotten an A. She is an incredibly tough marker and test maker and gives the most boring lectures ever. What's infuriating is that she tests on the most obscure and arbitrary details and is totally inflexible even though no one is getting an A in the course. AVOID.

11/25/2014
3630 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: B+
"Skip class? You won't pass."

Lisa Fiksenbaum is at best a boring lecturer. She seems to lecture as little as possible (for example our two 40% non-cumalitive midterms were two lectures apart; and we used half that time to watch a tangentially related film) and yet she draws most of her exam questions from esoteric points in her lectures. She does not like teaching and it shows

08/11/2014
good
psyc2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I found some of the students didn't master basic math skills, perhpas they rely on their phones. Quite unfortunate. It created a very challenging learning environment as a lot of the time was spent on dealing with how to work with simple mathematical expressions. Prof and TAs tried their best but it was a very frustrating experience for all

08/08/2014
psych 2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

teacher was extremely rude and unhelpful. a lot of students in the class had to drop it because marks were too low and they were actually given their money back because so many of us either dropped or failed because of her teaching methods. assignments and exam were marked differently for the same questions and she would not give explanation of why

06/05/2014
good
Stats Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Lecture slides were clear and the went through the tests in a step by step fashion. We were constantly asked if we understood the matrial. If you didn't do well in the course, you prob didn't put in the effort or waited to the last minute to study. This is university, not high school.

06/03/2014
PSYC Stats Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Seems like everyone is very divided on her. Sadly I fell into the dislike group. I found her very unapproachable and rude to students - even publicly berating some! I think if people are this split, do not go with her! You could end up in the unlucky half. I thought because I am very very strong at math I'd be unaffected, however I got only an A.

04/28/2014
good
psyc3031 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very practical course. This course was not only a refresher of statistical methods, but it also taught me how to use spss to get the stats quickly. Great review of key cocnepts provided and there was a hands on segment for each class so we knew how to understand the output

04/28/2014
PSY2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Not helpful at all!Rude comments made in class and not willing to teach using blackboard to explain solutions

04/07/2014
good
PSYC 2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Excellent prof. Class environment however was ridiculous, students were self-entitled and clearly didnt study or read the text and took it out on the prof. Prof provided tutorial for learning and opportunities for tutoring, and class was well organized.

03/30/2014
good
PSYC 2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I thought Lisa was a great professor. Her lectures were clear and the tests and assignments were more than fair. Its not an easy class by any means and you have to put work into it but its definitely possible to do well. She tests for learning and application, not memorization. I would take another class with her in the future.

03/27/2014
good
Res meth Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Almost finished the course. I didn't think I would enjoy it as it is a required course but surprisingly I did. Very knowledgeable and fair instructor.

good
PSYC3031 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I am taking the course now. I was afraid that this would be a very difficult course after what I've heard about it from others who are supposedly good students. However, this class is very fair; the material is manageable and like with any class, read the textbook, review the lectures, and you will get a good grade. I find Lisa to be very helpful.

03/07/2014
PSYC3031 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I dont usually write review on prof even I got a bad mark (but I usually get A) But Lisa Fiksenbaum is an exception! I am trying to be objective at this point I was taking her 3031 on SPSS Her test was the worst especially short answer questions There is no clear instructions on what you are supported to write And 5 marks doesnt equal to 5 point

03/07/2014
Psyc2021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Lisa is a horrible Prof.The professor is unapproachable, and condescending when asked to clarify discrepancies with textbook and class content. AVOID!!!!!!!!!!

02/28/2014
good

I wonder if students took math in highs school cuz they would ask the most ridiculous questions. They didn't know how to add simple numbers and whether they should multiple or add first. The course was not hard. Those that found it hard probably didn't read the book or attend lectures.

02/27/2014
Psych 2022 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I like stats but did not this prof, however I took the course W13. It seems it was a bad semester with her last winter, which it looks like is where all the negativity is coming from. Maybe she has learned from the past and improved her course, hence the newer positive comments? Just to add I had a perfect GPA besides this course. Take at own risk.