in Ventura College that teach Theater Edit
Professor in the Theater department
at Ventura College, Ventura, CA
are you Jay Varela?

12/15/2014
V31A Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: Rather not say
"Lectures are long" "Participation matters" "Tough Grader"

Would NOT recommend this class, extremely easy to fail. If he doesn't like one thing you've done, he'll fail you. Quizzes are hard, the answers from the book are usually not what he's looking for, but maybe that's just me. He can talk for hours about anything. Like "Oh that reminds me! When I worked with *name drops* he would tell me..." etc.

11/19/2014
THA V01 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: A
"Participation matters"

Easiest Class I have ever taken. No hard exams. One take home quiz each week ("homework"). Graded it in class yourself. Boring lectures though. Also, had to attend mandatory school plays. Easy but you have too be there.

05/01/2014
THA-V29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Personally I think he's a nice and funny guy but as an instructor he has issues. He is knowledgable but always goes on old man rants. He also puts people into awkward conversations which are historically offensive. My one major gripe is how unorganized he is. He forgets EVERYTHING! His quiz's are easy but so dull and vague.

03/25/2014
THA-V31A-31465 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: B+

I would not recommend taking this class from this Professor. He puts down students at random and is very disorganized. He goes off topic so often that what he says does not make sense. Has a tendency to make women in class uncomfortable. I would not recommend this class from this Professor.

12/30/2013
THA V29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Jay is not the greatest teacher but certainly the worst. He does lecture for a large portion of class time but it is about films. In the class we watch several movies. Quizzes and final are take homes and are very easy. The midterm is in class but gives out study guide before hand. Dull class but manageable.

09/19/2013
THA V01 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Jay tends to give out grades that are not based up points. He goes off on tangents and that don't relate to the class or the topic. He has also been reported for harassment, but nothings been done. I recommend taking this class with a different teacher.

09/06/2013
71313 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I do not recommend taking history of motion pictures with this teacher.

02/20/2013
good
V01THA Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Jay is a great teacher. A lot of the younger students will get bored with him because he has a myriad of life stories to talk about. But he knows his craft and he will always help. To pass any of his classes ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS READ THE BOOK AND WRITE DOWN A PRECISE ANSWER TO HIS QUESTIONS. Please stop referring to him as a hard teacher!

01/08/2013
THAV29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Mr. Varela has a lot of life experience but constantly goes off topic. He is not very clear on what he is looking for on his quizzes but grades harshly. I do not recommend taking this class unless necessary. The class started off full but by the end of the semester over half the class had dropped.

11/16/2012
thav29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Worst ever. I had 4.0 the whole I was at VC until this class. I love movies and its why I took this course. Teacher went off topic constantly.

11/16/2012
good
thatha Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Best Class ever! we watched Dumb and dumber it was awesome!

11/05/2012
THAV29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He is very knowledgeable about the subject but goes off on tangents about unrelated topics too often. He does not seem to teach anything he expects you to know for the tests and is extremely harsh on his grading. not an easy class, you have to work extremely hard just to get a C grade. i do not recommend taking any classes from this instructor

08/17/2012
THATHA Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Jay as a person is great, as an instructor I can't stand him. I have taken two classes with him. The last class I missed one assignment and received a low grade in the class. I don't mind his lectures because he has a lot of life experience and his stories are very interesting but when it come to the material its very hard to follow.

07/26/2012
good
Film110 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Varela has an amazing insight in the film industry having worked in movies since the 70's. His course was no easy A, but if you really want to learn all you can about film and theatre he is AWESOME!!!

05/30/2012
thaV29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He was very hard to understand most of the time and would never stay on task. He often would go off topic and start talking about something that had NOTHING to do with the class. I was so excited to take this course and he totally killed it for me :/ for sure not worth taking.

01/03/2012
THAv29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Mr. varela is hard to understand at time but I did enjoy his class. GET the book and do the quiz's right you will pass. good luck!

11/23/2011
good
THAV31 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Jay can be confusing at first, especially with his quizzes. And yeah, he goes on rants sometimes. But I've taken 2 of his classes and learned a lot from both. He's more interested in helping you learn about yourself than grading your work by the book. Just show that you care and he'll like you.

11/18/2011
FilmTV29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

At first it was hard to tell what he wanted for the quizzes, but once you figure that out his class if pretty easy. A lot of people fail his class and feel like it was his fault when they should have been paying attention to what he actually wanted, not that hard to figure out. Just be write about every single detail.

08/23/2011
good
THAV29 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

This teacher doesn't deserve such horrible reviews. He will go on tangents and states his liberal point of view often, but I found his teaching performance fascinating. The take home exams do require textual knowledge, but he offers bonus questions that he gives the answer to during class time. You've just got to pay attention. Great films, too.

06/26/2011
thav35 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

This guy is GREAT! Maybe the hardest class I have taken at VC so far. Harder than sciences and math. WELL worth the battle. A lot of writing. A very historical history of motion pictures class. I tend to agree with his views and he is extremely wholesome. This guy has been a lot of places and tells his tales well. Very enjoyable time. I highly reco