in California State University, Northridge that teach History Edit
B+

09/12/2014
good
HIST Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: B+

As a History Teacher myself, I have had many History professors, but he was the most passionate about this specific subject of any I had had. He brought in outside specialists to reinforce his lectures. It was a very enjoyable class.

02/24/2013
good
HIST163 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

One of my favorite profs at UCLA. He made History of Calif so interesting. To this day we refer to "somnolent, soporific California."

01/01/2013
good
aaa1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

From my UCLA days. Best instructor I ever had. Passionate about History and he "taught" me to share that passion. I appreciated his time and more so the freedom he allowed me to research the "Great Race" and wherewithal to prove many history texts wrong. I liked the mid-term "challenge" of 10 pts that I would not miss any ?'s. Thx COREY SEWARD

09/26/2012
good
HistWest Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Excellent teacher, who really knew his subject (History of the West) and presented it with clarity and enthusiasm and brought in other experts who also made excellent presentations. I can see why the History Channel uses him to such a high degree. He made history come alive. From one History teacher to another, keep up the good work. Thanks, Roger

02/21/2006
good
CA HIST Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I remember everything he taught, clearly, after four years. Entertaining, thorough, challenging. One of the top 5 profs in my education career.

12/14/2005
good
HST 488-Cal. Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The epitome of a professor. Identifies himself and sympathizes with students of the working-class, not yuppies. He calls himself a "blue-collar Ph.D.! By far, the greatest teacher I've taken at CSUN.

10/03/2005
good
HIST 488 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The best professor I had at CSUN. He's a very colorful, talkative guy. The vocab parts of his class can be brutal, but otherwise I'd recommend his courses to anybody.

09/30/2005
good
his 440 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

loved his class and the way he talks about the topic. the class is hard but he makes it very interesting, and the readings (there's a lot) are very interesting. even though it took alot of my time to study for this class i loved it-but it's not for lazy people.

04/16/2005
WW2 Hist Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Although he has "rode off into the sunset" for the record, this prof has a deep problem with a romantic nationalist right-slanted view of the world that affects his teaching ability. A tough marine, and extremely smart & interesting, he carries a black & white view of the world around like an anchor

04/01/2005
good
Hist 369 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Professor McGrath displayed integrity, and a deep understanding of the complex issues surrounding the history of the American Indian. He knows his facts, isn't afraid to say what he thinks, doesn't follow the Marxist vanguard of teachers at CSUN. He gave interesting lectures and is a great man.

01/10/2005
good
history Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Best teacher I have ever had!

12/16/2004
good
history Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I loved his class- seemed like a good novel of the history of America. Smart and passionate. Just follow the outline and memorize the terms. He really loves and knows what he is talking about. He's smart and funny and more of a good ole boy then a self-righteous intellectual.

12/02/2004
good
HST 440 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Good story teller, plays alot of good movies. A tough Marine with a very direct set of goals, yet happens to be an intellectual, and loves to deviate and tell stories. Only downside is he's a bit of a right-winger and loves to share his sometimes narrow views on politics. Good man, he will be missed

04/26/2004
good
hist 300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

great class, be ready for the tests

10/27/2003
good
hist 488 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

mcgrath is amazing ! you have to pay attention, ( hint- use flashcards for test studying) but if you go to class he explains everything. no tricks on the tests. his lectures are great. he knows this topic so well you can't help but enjoy his passions.

08/06/2003
good
Hist 369 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

This guy is probably the best teacher I have ever had!-Enough said.

04/25/2003
good
Calif Hist Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

The guy gives outlines with lists of terms you need to know and basically handfeeds you the essay test questions. How anyone can get below a B in his class is beyond me. Fun, fun lectures. He's a hoot. Enter class with a knowledge of surfing.