Alexandre Sevigny at McMaster University

Number of ratings 145 / Average Grade:  A- Submit a correction

5/17/14

cmst1a

Grade ReceivedB+

How can you say that Dr. Sevigny says nothing? His experience as a PR pro is extensive and successful. I hung on every word and went to his office - he spent an hour with me talking about politics, PR, my future. Gave me great tips for an internship.

5/10/14

1a03

Really surprised by his high rating and quite disappointed by the fact that many won't believe my rating because it's shrouded by more positive reviews. Extremely boring speaker. Not captivating in the least bit. Like the other reviewer, i stopped attending classes as i found them useless... don't think I learned anything from this class.

5/8/14

CMST1a03

Don't know what the last commenter was thinking. Must have attended a different lecture. This was my best course in my whole first year at Mac. Dr. Sevigny is awesome.

5/2/14

CMST 1A03

Really terrible prof. never really said anything important, all material was pulled from the textbook, and most was common sense. I stopped attending lectures because they were a waste of time since the notes were posted online, and he really had nothing to add that was useful.

1/30/14

CMST 1a03

Best. Professor. Ever.

10/28/12

cmst4N03

Really enjoying Dr. Sévigny's 4N03 seminar. He makes it all seem so effortless - doesn't speak from notes, always knows the answer to your question. I really feel that I have learned a lot about agenda setting, framing and the news industry. His guest speakers are great, too.

9/17/12

CMST3S03

he is by far my favorite professor yet.. I love his teaching style, the way he approached the course material and his interaction with the class... I seriously wish we had more like him, he's such a fascinating and knowledgeable guy and it certainly shows in his lectures... I enjoyed his class so much that I took the 4N03 seminar that he teaches.

3/17/12

cmst3sm3

Quite an amazing professor. This social media class is the most useful one I have taken yet. Dr. Sevigny brings his own experience to the classroom. Also one of the best public speakers I have ever seen. I think he should be Prime Minister. Busy man - catch him in a free moment and he'll talk to you but can be hard to find him outside office hours.

2/7/12

cmst3sm3

Intriguing man. Seems to be a lot to him, but seems to be strangely sad sometimes. Sevigny's lecture style is amazing and he has the best real-world examples. But I am always wondering... who is he? A mystery. Fantastic professor, though - scary smart and cultured.

12/13/11

CMST1A03

Great speaker, engages class extremely well. Gives several assignments that only take a couple hours to complete and have small weightings which helps ease first year students into university expectations and allows for steady improvement over the semester. Very passionate communicator and wants the best for his students.

11/29/11

cmst4n03

Dr. Sevigny is an inspiring person. He makes you feel safe and secure when you are with him in class. When I talk to him after class, or in his office, I never see the time go by. He's a very good man. It's a shame few of us get to know him well. I'm jealous of his lab manager - she spends so much time with him and he obviously really likes her.

10/12/11

mcm739

Sometimes, you are lucky to run into a professor as talented and passionate Dr Sevigny. He cares a lot about his students' well-being and he focuses on students' development as individuals. He also does his best to promote students in their careers. Be careful though - he will ask you to be honest with yourself. That can be a hard thing to do.

9/4/11

MCM733

Extremely passionate and the most brilliant professor I had in 6 years! Extremely knowledgeable and his market experience differentiate him from other scholars. Fair marker; he probably can't stand stupidity. If you are a serious student and that you take learning seriously, i.e. actually read your textbooks, you'll love him.

9/3/11

cmst1A03

Bad communication skills, difficult to reach for help, goes on a useless tangents about self and therefore does not have time left for actual course material. He still test on topics he did not teach and is a hard marker. Low use of communication textbook which he co-authored and made us buy for the sake of royaltees.

5/15/11

CMST3QQ3

Alex is an excellent prof. Really knows political comm/elections. Wish I got to know him better. He's so busy and in-demand that it's hard to catch up to him. He doesn't suffer fools well either so if he seeks you out, that's a compliment - be thankful. His lab manager is a very lucky woman to be able to spend so much time with him. I'm jealous.

5/3/11

CMST3Q03

Alex is a overall great guy. He knows his stuff and doesn't try to shove it down your throat. We would stop for coffee breaks (8:30 class) and he would come ask everyone how the weekend was. Classy professor that deserves his good reputation. He is still friends with the majority of this older students, always a positive sign.

12/27/10

cmst4n03

A truly decent person and a pleasure to have a professor. I learned more during this course than in any other of my undergrad. My favourite course of all the ones I took at McMaster. Period.

11/21/10

CMST1a03

Dr Sévigny is, quite simply, a true gentleman and superb professor. He is my model, now that I am in graduate school.

10/25/10

FR4BB3

Dr. Sévigny was one of the most approachable and helpful professors I've had at McMaster. He was always willing to set aside time to see me and answer any questions I had, and was very enthusiastic during class when teaching.

10/1/10

cmst4n03

I really enjoy the news analysis class. Alex is a mysterious guy - there's more to him than meets the eye. Both he and his subject matter fascinate me. A little intimidatingly smart though. Don't know what I would converse about with him - I would be shy.

More Communication professors at McMaster University