in Fordham University at Lincoln Center that teach Economics Edit
Janis Barry-Figueroa
Professor in the Economics department
at Fordham University at Lincoln Center, New York, NY
are you Janis Barry-Figueroa?
B+

11/04/2014
ECON 1200 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tests are tough" "Tough Grader" "Get ready to read"

AWFUL. She's a great person, don't get me wrong, but if I'm spending my time IN CLASS, I'd prefer not to be read powerpoints from the publisher. Absolutely disappointing. I love Econ (it's my major and plan for my Ph.D.), but she is currently ruining my love. You've been warned.

05/15/2014
good
ECON1200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: A

I really liked her and her class overall. The tests didn't quite line up with the material in class, because they're from test banks, but you can find the test banks on sites like course hero, so I recommend using those to study for the final. I don't really get why people are so harsh about her. Class was entertaining and not too difficult.

03/04/2014
MicroEconomics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I'm about halfway through the semester writing this review but I really have to warn people before it's too late. Long story short, don't take her. She frequently mismarks exams and is very unclear on some topics; yeah she's good during office hours but one should not have to visit the office after every lesson.Not worth the trouble at all!

01/11/2014
ECON3114 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: B

She's super nice, but she's a terrible professor. She rambles off the power points that come with the textbook, often to herself without the projector on. Quizzes are timed, online & at home, exams are in class, both are terribly difficult.

10/30/2013
good
ECON-3453 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

you will actually learn something in her class... not an easy grader but you can great through it

03/28/2012
ECON1200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Worst professor ever. Very hard grader. Do not take her if you want to major in econ cause you will hate it soon.

05/18/2010
ECON1200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

she is just terrible!!!I thought i will get an A,but it turn out B+. 90 sth on her midterm is not good enough. she favors one student in the class and think the rest is ignorant.unfair grading system.homework every class, and the test is hard...

01/11/2009
good
EconProb Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

teaches a great class, constantly reworks material to make sure its relevant. However, while she is sure to bring up current events in each class, the discussion often turns into a rant about her own personal feelings on the matter. Prof. is VERY helpful if you meet her for office hours.

12/21/2008
ECON3884 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Did well in the class but because i read and studied my butt off. VERY hard grader... does not like to give As even if you put in the effort. Helpful during office hours. Characterwise... appalling, arrogant, demeaning. Favors certain students tremendously and has no prob showing it. Makes you feel invisible if you haven't had her before.

11/16/2008
microECLU Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

This women is absolutely ridiculous. Although she apparently got a phd, which she makes sure to tell the class at least a hundred times because she's insecure, she cannot teach this material to save her life. Not only does she confuse the class, she confuses herself. Not to mention her awful on again off again jersey accent. AVOID THIS PROFESSOR!

04/03/2008
good
MicroThry Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She's a very nice lady! Very helpful outside class and she really does want you to do well. The tests in Intro to Micro are VERY difficult if you do not take the time to study. She's better if you take her for other upper level courses. She's very liberal and makes her opinions known each and every class...she also loves Finland :)

11/06/2007
ECLG3240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Yes it's true that most of her lectures are incomprehensible; however, she does inform her students on how to better meet her expectations and better their papers. She is very lenient with attendance, this course could be fun for those who manage to understand her requirements, but also can be very boting for those who can't make a conection with h

11/05/2007
MicroEcon Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

BORING class and she is HORRIBLE! By far the most inconsiderate professor I have ever had. It's a wonder of how she is still allowed to teach. DO NOT TAKE HER! It will be the worst decision you will ever make if you do.

11/05/2007
ECONECLU Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is the WORST teacher in Fordham. I always did well in economics, so I know it was her messed me up. She's not helpful at all (I don't understand how some say she is). In my class somebody asked her a question and she said, "Well, if you don't know it, I can't help you." How is that helpful? Never take her; YOU WILL REGRET IT. I know I did.

07/17/2007
good
ECO3145 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Shes one of the best professors at Fordham! A bit scatter brained at time but if you're remotely intelligent it won't pose a problem. If you put in the work you get a lot out and she truly cares about her students. I think most of the reviews are tough on her because they're from entry levels class and people who clearly aren't capable in economics

03/31/2007
Econ1000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is the worse teacher in Fordham. Horrible! She's inconsiderate with students and she can't teach. I can't believe she's still allowed to teach. Do not take her or you will regret it; I know I did.

05/25/2006
good
Micro/Princ Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Professor Barry is easily misunderstood as she does resort to ridiculous attention-getting tactics such as her numerous fake accents and far fetched anecdotes. However, she knows what she's doing and is very willing to clarify the book's teachings during office hours. The material is difficult, but she does a great job of working with the book.

03/06/2006
Microeconomics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I wanted to shoot myself in her class. She doesn't know how to explain anything, and will confuse you. I was very interested in this subject before I took her class. That is the worse class you will ever take if you take it with her. DO NOT TAKE HER.

02/11/2006
Microeconomics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Made me so confused I ended up dropping the class. If I had stayed I'm sure I would have failed cause she barely knew how to explain things clearly and precisely. She teaches by the book, so if you don't understand the book, good luck understanding her teaching.

01/25/2006
good
Indust org Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Honestly, hard to believe it's the same teacher as the previous comments suggest. Prof. Barry rocks! One of the best teachers I've ever taken.Put in the work and she's extremelly fair. Would definitely take again.