Scott Davis at California State University Stanislaus

Scott Davis

Number of ratings 62 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

9/30/13

ENGL 3150

He is freakishly hard, but he is definitely awesome. I've taken in a lot from the course. I love class discussions and participation; it forces me to think outside of the box. His lectures may seem to go astray sometimes, but it will tie right back into the lesson, which keeps me interested. Hard class but well worth it. READ!

6/3/13

english 3550

This class was not very fun to take. It is a two semester class with physics in it. The amount of work they give is ridiculous and they expect you to have read a book in a weeks time. I managed to get a B but it was not an interesting class.

5/29/13

ENGL 3150

Davis is hands-down one of the best. Students expecting their education to be handed to them don't like him. Neither do students who balk at critical thinking or teachers that question their answers. Davis isn't questioning to make you feel dumb, he's questioning cause he's curious, & he wants you to think through things. Would take class again.

5/22/13

Engl 3150

I have taken a few classes with Davis. He is really out there with his lectures. He seems to be making it up as he goes along and relies on class comments to keep going. He can make people feel stupid and unworthy of being in his classroom.

3/9/13

ENGL 3150

At the beginning of the semester, I felt totally lost & was sure I was going to fail the class. But after I started going to his office hrs, Dr. Davis really took the time to help me succeed in the class. I passed with a B+ and came out a stronger writer and I'm so glad I took 3150 with him!

2/18/13

Engli3150

Dr. Davis was an ok instructor. This was his first time teaching 3150 so we were his guinea pigs. It wasn't a bad class, but was a little more intense than I expected. Reading/papers not spread out. Not enough time to absorb all the material. Tests, quizzes were tough. I got B's on my papers, but because of the quizzes/tests, I wound up with a C+.

10/12/12

ENGL3150

I have never been so uncomfortable with one of my professors before. His shirt is always unbuttoned so you can see his chest... I am looking forward to never taking a class with this professor ever again. How is he the department chair?? Class is overall ok, kinda boring and Davis tries to act "cool." The book is a must for this class.

5/21/12

ENGL1010

Quizzes were sometimes tricky. You need to read! The class was boring but it gets fun when you perform a skit & do the poem recitation. It isn't that easy of a class, but Dr. Davis is kinda hot & has interesting things to say.

12/20/11

Engl1010

Dr.Davis was one of my favorite professors this semester! You need to attend class because he will give you random quizzes at any time but usually they are open notes. I really learned a lot from him and loved taking his class!

11/29/11

Engl3550

This class really stretched me to write at a higher level than I was used to. Profesor Davis is excited about his passion for the written word. Long class but worth it.

1/27/11

ENG3550

In my opinion he is an arrogant bore. His class was frustrating and not fulfilling. Getting a good grade is based on jumping through his hoops and writing to his own beliefs and convictions. It doesn't matter how well you support your thesis-if he doesn't agree with your ideas, he will penalize you. Very unprofessional.

12/21/10

Eng3550

I was really looking forward to this class, regardless of who taught it; however, I really began to feel lost within all the reading material, and in his prompts for the writing assignments (very confusing). I usually do very well in English courses, but I felt as if my best was not good enough for this professor.

12/18/10

ENG3wtf

He wants you to say he is intelligent. That fuels his teaching "method." He doesn't allow you to disagree with him. & will tell you that you didn't write to the prompt if you disagree with him. He flirts (etc.) with his students, which is a bit unfair to the males if you ask me.

11/24/10

Engl3940

Hmmm...nice enough guy. Very intelligent; however, didn't succeed in getting the class interested in the course (multicultural American lit). Flexible assignments. Lectures are a bore and have no relevance to future work. No tests--hard to stay motivated. 80% of grade is based on your own written work, so you make it or break it yourself.

6/15/10

engsmnr

If you want to finish off your English degree by standing or falling totally on the merits of your own work, don't take this class. Very strong group work focus that comprised a good size chunk of the grade and made for plenty of headaches.

6/12/10

Eng4990

Only take this class if you don't mind having your writing content and style micromanaged. I compromised myself for a grade and wrote the paper he wanted that didn't conflict with his personal convictions. But it wasn't my best work, and it wasn't what I wanted to do. If he wants to write he should do it himself on his own dime and his own time.

6/8/10

ENG4990

For the capstone course of the degree-there was far too much group work. His motto was "live or die as a group" and a good chunk of our grades depended on groupwork. The real world doesn't work that way-people that won't or can't perform or are distruptive get fired. They don't get carried by anyone in the group. Aggravating experience. Hated it.

6/8/10

eng4990

Got a good grade but didn't enjoy the class. Davis is far too controlling about dictating how and what we wrote. Be careful if you have a thesis that conflicts with his own personal biases-because he can't separate his beliefs from academic analysis of issues that make him uncomfortable. Unprofessional in that way. Arrogant. Too much group work.

6/4/10

Engl2110

As I got to know Dr. Davis, he really is a decent guy. He's smart, but will explain if others don't understand. He really has a good heart, and is passionate about what he is teaching. Davis wants students to have that same passion. He is available to all his students, English major or not. Don't be overwhelmed by his big words, just ask!

4/11/10

ENG3940

He is an arrogant jerk. Extremely intellectually dishonest. Uses straw man arguments like I've never seen before from a college prof. I'm so glad his class is long over. I'll never take another with him. Also, whoever said he's hot must like prematurely geriatric, balding men that reek of stale cigarette smoke and bitterness.

More English professors at California State University Stanislaus