Subramanian Shankar at University of Hawaii at Manoa

Subramanian Shankar

Number of ratings 19 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

11/16/13

ENG100

Shankar emphasizes peer editing ALOT so if you don't like your classmates reading your essays you shouldn't take this class from him. Otherwise he's pretty approachable and gives good feedback on essays and class work. The lectures maybe boring at times but if you can get past that he's a good teacher.

6/20/12

eng100

Really good professor. Assigned interesting books and took some really great perspectives. Will help you do well if you go in for advice on your own time. Great class.

6/18/12

Eng000

Obviously knows a lot, but lectures are boring. Said that we could do our papers however we wanted, but, when he graded mine, he marked off points because I'm missing something he didn't say I needed. Has a very unclear grading policy. Can be very standoffish and make students uncomfortable. He shouldn't scold students in front of the class.

1/19/12

ENG325

Dr. Shankar is an extremely interesting professor that will challenge his students and allow them to grow. His class is based on reading the material and the expectation of being prepared for class discussion. The essays and tests are challenging but worth the effort. All around good guy and great course material.

5/9/10

ENG100

Don't pay attention to any of the comments that slander him.Here is some constructive feedback from a student who took him for ENG 100. 1)He assigns two EAZY books.2)We had to write 5 EAZY graded papers(3-4pg,double space).3)Barely any classwork.4)EAZY Research paper at end.5)He'll help you get that A on those papers if you go in for help.

5/6/10

ENG100

I saw some of the comments bellow, and I guess I have a better opinion of him because I took a lower level class haha. But aside from that, I think he's a really good professor. One of my favorite classes ever, and he introduced writing material that actually didn't put me to sleep. He's kinda on the "edgy writer" sometimes though.

1/5/08

ENG272

Doesn't seem to like some students. Made me feel awkward about being sick and he was rude to many of the students who he didn't seem to care for. He stares.

12/4/07

ENG272

Excellent professor. He is knowledgeable and helpful and gives good advice on papers. My only complaint is his class can be a drag when the rest of the class is disengaged. He'll simply wait for someone to answer easy questions, which is frustrating. But he is very smart and I enjoyed his class a lot.

6/2/06

ENG 325

Shankar will shank you with a C if you don't study every word he says, every word he assigns you to read, and then you must anticipate what he's thinking because he will put that on his exam too.

2/18/06

ENG 325, 326

Knowledgeable, enthusiastic... expects you to do the reading, but if you don't--don't major in english. ;)

12/8/05

ENG 100

I like this teacher because he actually teaches you how to improve your writing. And when he grades your papers, he'll tell you both good and bad things about it. He's encouraging and helpful.

11/30/05

Eng 352

This is the best literature class I have ever taken. He is obviously knowledagble on the subject and looks a lot at cultural aspects as well as literary facts. He leaves tons of room for discussion, but does not put people on the spot. Love the class and highly reccomend him as a teacher. You will learn a lot.

10/14/05

english 100

hes very boring and when he talks he looks at the ceiling alot. i left class early the other day and he told be i cant leave without telling him beofre because it interupts the learning environment of the class room. i just laughed at him and left after.

10/3/05

I HATE this class. He has this accent and all I do is repeat words he pronouces wrong in my head, nothing goes IN MY HEAD. I want to sleep, its horrible. The class discussions are so dull no one participates. This class SUCKS...but my classmates are awesome though...teacher sucks that's all.

9/22/05

eng

8/31/05

eng 100

very boring. makes me want to go to sleep!

12/11/04

Eng 325

Often, I found I was uninterested in the topics for discussion, such as author biographies and the style and aesthetics of a literary work. I found him rather aloof and just could not care about what he cared about.

11/25/04

eng 325

simply put...trying hard is seemingly not good enough with this professor. to pass his class, hopefully you read the assigned books for another class.

5/31/03

Rater Interest

He is terrible...I barely got a B because he thinks we are all sophomores taking an ENG100 class..

More English professors at University of Hawaii at Manoa