in University of Hawaii at Manoa that teach English Edit
Subramanian Shankar
at University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI
are you Subramanian Shankar?

11/16/2013
good
ENG100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Shankar emphasizes peer editing ALOT so if you don't like your classmates reading your essays you shouldn't take this class from him. Otherwise he's pretty approachable and gives good feedback on essays and class work. The lectures maybe boring at times but if you can get past that he's a good teacher.

06/20/2012
good
eng100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Really good professor. Assigned interesting books and took some really great perspectives. Will help you do well if you go in for advice on your own time. Great class.

06/18/2012
Eng000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Obviously knows a lot, but lectures are boring. Said that we could do our papers however we wanted, but, when he graded mine, he marked off points because I'm missing something he didn't say I needed. Has a very unclear grading policy. Can be very standoffish and make students uncomfortable. He shouldn't scold students in front of the class.

01/19/2012
good
ENG325 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Shankar is an extremely interesting professor that will challenge his students and allow them to grow. His class is based on reading the material and the expectation of being prepared for class discussion. The essays and tests are challenging but worth the effort. All around good guy and great course material.

05/09/2010
good
ENG100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Don't pay attention to any of the comments that slander him.Here is some constructive feedback from a student who took him for ENG 100. 1)He assigns two EAZY books.2)We had to write 5 EAZY graded papers(3-4pg,double space).3)Barely any classwork.4)EAZY Research paper at end.5)He'll help you get that A on those papers if you go in for help.

05/06/2010
good
ENG100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I saw some of the comments bellow, and I guess I have a better opinion of him because I took a lower level class haha. But aside from that, I think he's a really good professor. One of my favorite classes ever, and he introduced writing material that actually didn't put me to sleep. He's kinda on the "edgy writer" sometimes though.

01/05/2008
ENG272 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Doesn't seem to like some students. Made me feel awkward about being sick and he was rude to many of the students who he didn't seem to care for. He stares.

12/04/2007
good
ENG272 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Excellent professor. He is knowledgeable and helpful and gives good advice on papers. My only complaint is his class can be a drag when the rest of the class is disengaged. He'll simply wait for someone to answer easy questions, which is frustrating. But he is very smart and I enjoyed his class a lot.

06/02/2006
good
ENG 325 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Shankar will shank you with a C if you don't study every word he says, every word he assigns you to read, and then you must anticipate what he's thinking because he will put that on his exam too.

02/18/2006
good
ENG 325, 326 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Knowledgeable, enthusiastic... expects you to do the reading, but if you don't--don't major in english. ;)