Meyer (mike) Alewitz at Central Connecticut State University

Number of ratings 32 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

4/23/14

Mural01

Grade ReceivedWD

He is unbelievably rude. I dropped his class because I was too scared to go in and listen to him make fun of me and any other student he wanted, all while calling it 'criticism'of your work. He is truly mean.

3/4/14

Painting 2

Professor has worldwide mural painting experience and when he shares specifics it can be interesting. Be prepared for a painting every week. Critiques last the entire class, conversations mostly about world views and politics. Not a lot on technique but you will be a better painter after. He can be harsh but take what he says with a grain of salt.

2/1/14

Painting 2

Insulting, at best. If art is not political, it shouldn't exist, etc. Tense atmosphere in the studio. Inappropriate jokes, offensive critiques.

3/7/12

ART265

By far the absolute WORST professore I've ever had. He's rude, doesn't teach, and will not take blame for anything he does wrong. He told a girl he wanted to kill himself after he looked at her work, in front of the whole class! He makes unwanted innuendos, and will intimidate his students when he feels threatened.

1/9/12

MURAL270

Worst teacher ever. He didn't teach & wasted class time. I have a 2 masters & this undergrad class was more work than an entire degree. He doesn't teach & only wants to make fun of students & trash others' art. I learned nothing except to hate painting. He gives you 1 week to paint your individual mural. Got a B, but should've got an A. Be warned.

5/20/11

Art270

He will sound harsh but it is just to educate you at a higher level. His remarks are constructive. He collaborates well with students. He is fun, helpful, and kind. We love him and so will you.

5/20/11

Mural01

Fun. Interesting. Hard. Queer. Scary. Intelligent. Compassionate. Vibrant. Sweet. Charismatic. Misunderstood.

12/14/10

ART326

Fun professor, but if you take his mural or street art courses they're very unstructured and you need to be self motivated. He'll seem easy because of this, but then out of the blue he'll expect you to have been doing a lot.

8/23/10

ART340

This guy is a complete *bleep*er. He shouldn't be allowed to teach. I attended class religiously, did everything he asked and just couldn't please him. I had a 4.0 (6 years of college) until I took this class. I graduated with a 3.76. I didn't learn a thing. AVOID HIM LIKE THE PLAGUE.

5/16/10

ART130

Can dish it out, but can't take it. Not a fair grader.

11/13/09

LifeDraw

If you play Mike Allewitz's game, you can get an A. If you try to argue your way, you will get an F.

10/31/08

ART230

The reason I took his Drawing II class was to see what all the fuss was about. Let me first say I got an A, however it is only b/c I played his game. He is the worst prof. I have ever had. He doesn't care about making you a better artist, he cares about taking pot shots at students who dont think like him. This man is an embarrassment to CCSU.

1/11/08

Art230

Couldn't find scrap of paper he called attendance sheet, next thing I know he says I failed, then on top of that he suggests I drop out of college because it "may not be for me". This was when I was young and insecure, being older now, I should have told him where he could shove his arrogant, one-sided comments. Calls himself liberal...how ironic.

1/22/07

art130

when i first came on here looking at the poor comments about alewitz, i was worried. took the class, survived, and i actually had a good time for the most part! yes he is opinionated and sarcastic, but it's just the way he is. if you can't deal with him, then i would personally question your love for art as well, because he is the real thing.

7/9/06

ACCT 202

Come on guys is not that bud. Hi is indeed sarcastic and ironic most of the time but that’s fun. Make sure you are not in class after 9:00. I enjoyed the class and I learned a lot. I wish I had more classes like this

4/6/06

Drawing 1

pain in the butt

4/5/06

Drawing I

You have to be strong and keep an open mind to do well in this course. Make sure you bring your materials, or he will throw you out. Only can have two absences or minus a letter grade. He's a smart guy with a lot of experience and passion, but does not mince words. If you follow his suggestions, you might learn something as an artist.

3/23/06

Um..

can anyone say...USSR?

12/16/05

Drawing 2

First I want to thank most of you for your ratings! I am so glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I left his class without an ounce of enthusiasm or skill. The only thing I gained from his course was low self esteem. H e made me question whether or not I should be in art. I have to say that I'm glad I overcame the obstacle that is Alewitz. I

11/28/05

Painting

Painting should be an interesting course but he makes it a class in politics and trashes everyones artwork. You have to paint and think like he does to succeed in this class.

More Fine Arts professors at Central Connecticut State University