in Capilano University that teach Music Edit
Professor in the Music department
at Capilano University, North Vancouver, BC
are you Lars Kaario?

03/15/2014
ENSM Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: A

He's a good choral conductor but get on his good side. He conducts a mandatory ENSM for all jazz & classical students and if your interests lie outside of that class he can be frustrating/difficult to work with.

11/27/2013
Cap Singers Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He's very snobbish and dismissive. He threatened to fail a few students because their graduation recitals (which is the final test and the culmination of the 4 year jazz studies program) coincided with the time they were supposed to attend a conducting exam, & he was unwilling to move their times for the conducting exam. Rude, & should retire.

12/04/2012
COND1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

At first I thought he was exciting and had looked forward to the next class. By the end of term, it was clear that he had run out of ideas and classes became very repetitive. At least I will come out of this with a certificate! BTW, he is often late for class and feedback is poor.

03/19/2012
good
CON300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

one of the best professor i've had. nice and helpful,always has a positive attitude yet challenges me. excellent role model in the area of expertise - choral conducting. inspires students' learning and interest in the area.

03/07/2012
good
ENS250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Lars is the greatest! He's funny, supportive, encouraging, and as long as you put the minimal amount of work in that it takes to actually learn your part, and don't talk excessively during choir, he'll be happy as a clam. Lars is one of my top favourite professors at Cap.

12/07/2011
capsicaps Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Lars, why are you consistently late for class, exams, rehearsals? We pay too much to be waiting for teachers to show up. Also, please try to treat everyone equally and politely. We help pay your salary. He can be VERY rude and singles out students in a demeaning and embarrassing way. Sort of knows his stuff.

09/02/2010
good
capsi101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Wow - the negative comments took me by surprise. I had no problems with this prof.

04/27/2010
capsing Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I'm sure Lars CAN be nice. power gets to his head easily, and he likes to be in control - when he is, he's Rude to a lot of undeserving people. I can't say I haven't learned anything, I've learned what NOT to do with my choir. Not my favorite person or teacher. Needs to not be so defensive about everything, and needs to be ON TIME.

06/03/2009
good
festchor Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

wow, easiest A+ in my life... The class is pretty boring, show up every class, its mandatory. I didn't practice the stuff at all because I didn't have time(too busy practicing my actual isntrument) and I got an A+. Unless you are vocalist you might feel that the class is wasting your time. weird/funny guy

04/12/2009
good
Choir100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Lars is an interesting one. He's great if you're super devoted and choir and singing is your life. Watch out if you are not a vocalist/not in the classical program. He is exceedingly stubborn and unwilling to make exceptions even if you have a soundproof excuse. Once you get on his bad side you'll never recover. He certainly holds a grudge.

10/26/2008
good
capsigner Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

He is a great teacher. I owe a lot to him and he is soley responsible for teaching me how to sing. He cares so much about his students and he's willing to help you when you need it.

06/24/2007
good
capsing Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

People either love him or hate him. If you always give 110% then he will notice and you will feel good, but if you ever slip and give only 90% then he can resort to yelling and name calling. He isn't concerned with voice quality per se, but with how much effort you contribute. All said, he was prob my favourite prof at Cap.

11/27/2006
music112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

snobby

11/14/2006
good
ENSM100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Fun teacher with a lot of passion for choral music. A bit unfair at times but overall good. As long as you show up to the choir and try/sing hard, he is good to you.

04/23/2006
voice/choir Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I auditioned at other schools after Cap, and lessons with Lars, and at auditions found that I'd learned a major piece from the vocal repetoire completely too fast. Was very unimpressed. Found Lars to be unhelpful, and often dismissive of my own comments/attempts at self-teaching. Frustrating. Could be over the top with anger and criticism in choir.

06/07/2005
good
mus Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great teacher, I got A+!!!

05/12/2005
music Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

04/02/2005
good
Cap Singers Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I loved him, he was very helpful. I've taken many classes with him, and the fact that some peopel think he plays 'favorites' is nonesense. He will credit anyone who tries hard, of course you're not going to get a great mark if you just show up. Grow up! YOU'RE IN COLLEGE NOW!

02/08/2005
good

I think it's unfair what some of these students have been saying here. Lars is a great, experienced teacher who is ready to help those who are ready to learn. He always has energy and he loves what he does. He can be a little strict, but he is open to new ideas. Thanks again, Lars!

01/07/2005

Get on his good side. The only way to get anywhere is to beat him at his own game. If you've got a good voice you can get anything, even a new voice teacher 2nd semester(against "policy"). You've just got to outwit him! It's possible, then the world is yours!