Lars Kaario at Capilano University

Lars Kaario

Number of ratings 33 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

3/15/14

ENSM

He's a good choral conductor but get on his good side. He conducts a mandatory ENSM for all jazz & classical students and if your interests lie outside of that class he can be frustrating/difficult to work with.

11/27/13

Cap Singers

He's very snobbish and dismissive. He threatened to fail a few students because their graduation recitals (which is the final test and the culmination of the 4 year jazz studies program) coincided with the time they were supposed to attend a conducting exam, & he was unwilling to move their times for the conducting exam. Rude, & should retire.

12/4/12

COND1

At first I thought he was exciting and had looked forward to the next class. By the end of term, it was clear that he had run out of ideas and classes became very repetitive. At least I will come out of this with a certificate! BTW, he is often late for class and feedback is poor.

3/19/12

CON300

one of the best professor i've had. nice and helpful,always has a positive attitude yet challenges me. excellent role model in the area of expertise - choral conducting. inspires students' learning and interest in the area.

3/7/12

ENS250

Lars is the greatest! He's funny, supportive, encouraging, and as long as you put the minimal amount of work in that it takes to actually learn your part, and don't talk excessively during choir, he'll be happy as a clam. Lars is one of my top favourite professors at Cap.

12/7/11

capsicaps

Lars, why are you consistently late for class, exams, rehearsals? We pay too much to be waiting for teachers to show up. Also, please try to treat everyone equally and politely. We help pay your salary. He can be VERY rude and singles out students in a demeaning and embarrassing way. Sort of knows his stuff.

9/2/10

capsi101

Wow - the negative comments took me by surprise. I had no problems with this prof.

4/27/10

capsing

I'm sure Lars CAN be nice. power gets to his head easily, and he likes to be in control - when he is, he's Rude to a lot of undeserving people. I can't say I haven't learned anything, I've learned what NOT to do with my choir. Not my favorite person or teacher. Needs to not be so defensive about everything, and needs to be ON TIME.

6/3/09

festchor

wow, easiest A+ in my life... The class is pretty boring, show up every class, its mandatory. I didn't practice the stuff at all because I didn't have time(too busy practicing my actual isntrument) and I got an A+. Unless you are vocalist you might feel that the class is wasting your time. weird/funny guy

4/12/09

Choir100

Lars is an interesting one. He's great if you're super devoted and choir and singing is your life. Watch out if you are not a vocalist/not in the classical program. He is exceedingly stubborn and unwilling to make exceptions even if you have a soundproof excuse. Once you get on his bad side you'll never recover. He certainly holds a grudge.

10/26/08

capsigner

He is a great teacher. I owe a lot to him and he is soley responsible for teaching me how to sing. He cares so much about his students and he's willing to help you when you need it.

6/24/07

capsing

People either love him or hate him. If you always give 110% then he will notice and you will feel good, but if you ever slip and give only 90% then he can resort to yelling and name calling. He isn't concerned with voice quality per se, but with how much effort you contribute. All said, he was prob my favourite prof at Cap.

11/27/06

music112

11/14/06

ENSM100

Fun teacher with a lot of passion for choral music. A bit unfair at times but overall good. As long as you show up to the choir and try/sing hard, he is good to you.

4/23/06

voice/choir

I auditioned at other schools after Cap, and lessons with Lars, and at auditions found that I'd learned a major piece from the vocal repetoire completely too fast. Was very unimpressed. Found Lars to be unhelpful, and often dismissive of my own comments/attempts at self-teaching. Frustrating. Could be over the top with anger and criticism in choir.

6/7/05

mus

Great teacher, I got A+!!!

5/12/05

music

4/2/05

Cap Singers

I loved him, he was very helpful. I've taken many classes with him, and the fact that some peopel think he plays 'favorites' is nonesense. He will credit anyone who tries hard, of course you're not going to get a great mark if you just show up. Grow up! YOU'RE IN COLLEGE NOW!

2/8/05

Cap Singers

I think it's unfair what some of these students have been saying here. Lars is a great, experienced teacher who is ready to help those who are ready to learn. He always has energy and he loves what he does. He can be a little strict, but he is open to new ideas. Thanks again, Lars!

1/7/05

Cap Singers

Get on his good side. The only way to get anywhere is to beat him at his own game. If you've got a good voice you can get anything, even a new voice teacher 2nd semester(against "policy"). You've just got to outwit him! It's possible, then the world is yours!

More Music professors at Capilano University