in University of California Berkeley that teach History Edit
at University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
are you Alan Karras?

07/26/2014
good
IAS45 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A-

My favorite professor so far at Berkeley! He seems intimidating at first and in lecture, but if you go into office hours he's great-- funny and helpful and really knows his stuff. There's a lot of required reading, he's very serious about no phones/computers in lecture. Overall the tests and essays are challenging but fair.

06/12/2014
good
IAS45 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: A-

Best professor I have had at Cal. He seems intimidating at first, but his dry humor will grow on you. I liked the class because he encouraged questions and emphasized critical thinking. The reading for the class was reasonable but there were 3ish longer novels. Enforces the no phone rule VERY seriously. You will get kicked out of class.

06/11/2014
PE 100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

The class is fairly easy and not that challenging. He does not allow laptops in class but he should keep in mind that there are students with disabilities who need this medium for note-taking. Otherwise an okay class.

10/21/2013
good
PE 100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very dynamic speaker. One of the best classes I've taken at UC Berkeley, made me glad I chose PE as a major. PE 100 is very theoretical but made it interesting. Some people don't like him because he blatantly calls on people who sleep in class. Electronics (laptop, cell phone, etc.) not allowed in class.

08/07/2013
IAS 45 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Demeaning to his students. Know-it-all. Hated his class. Not sure why he's teaching at the number one public university. I usually give good reviews to all my professors because I always find something inspiring or positive about their classes..so for me to say this about a professor, it says a lot.

07/30/2013
IAS 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

By far the worst professor I've ever had. Extremely boring. Outside of class he is unhelpful and not very nice. Actually decreased the value of my Berkeley experience. Didn't learn anything except to avoid taking him ever again.

04/10/2013
IAS 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Definitely the worst class that I've taken at UC Berkeley. I was expecting to be challenged and supported by my professor. Instead we read books that he didn't understand and, therefore, couldn't teach. Moreover, He is not very helpful nor respectful of students. I don't think he has ever really considered viewpoints besides his own.

10/05/2012
IAS102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He is certainly NOT the best and his teaching content and style are not very good. However, you can get an A in his class very easily.

04/04/2012
good
IAS45 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Wonderful Professor! He engages you in lectures and knows his topics extremely well. Is quirky and has great presence. Also VERY helpful in office hours and interested in his students.

12/07/2011
good
IAS102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Taking a seminar with Karras is awesome. I can't believe how much he has challenged me. He really takes the time to get me to articulate clearly about my thesis and not be afraid to rethink my assumptions. Yes, he pushes hard and I guess if you are not ready to be pushed you're going to hate it. But if you are you up for it you will learn a lot!