Alan Karras at University of California Berkeley

Alan Karras

Number of ratings 55 / Average Grade:  A- Submit a correction

7/26/14

Grade ReceivedA-

My favorite professor so far at Berkeley! He seems intimidating at first and in lecture, but if you go into office hours he's great-- funny and helpful and really knows his stuff. There's a lot of required reading, he's very serious about no phones/computers in lecture. Overall the tests and essays are challenging but fair.

6/12/14

Grade ReceivedA-

Best professor I have had at Cal. He seems intimidating at first, but his dry humor will grow on you. I liked the class because he encouraged questions and emphasized critical thinking. The reading for the class was reasonable but there were 3ish longer novels. Enforces the no phone rule VERY seriously. You will get kicked out of class.

6/11/14

PE 100

The class is fairly easy and not that challenging. He does not allow laptops in class but he should keep in mind that there are students with disabilities who need this medium for note-taking. Otherwise an okay class.

10/21/13

PE 100

Very dynamic speaker. One of the best classes I've taken at UC Berkeley, made me glad I chose PE as a major. PE 100 is very theoretical but made it interesting. Some people don't like him because he blatantly calls on people who sleep in class. Electronics (laptop, cell phone, etc.) not allowed in class.

8/7/13

IAS 45

Demeaning to his students. Know-it-all. Hated his class. Not sure why he's teaching at the number one public university. I usually give good reviews to all my professors because I always find something inspiring or positive about their classes..so for me to say this about a professor, it says a lot.

7/30/13

IAS 102

By far the worst professor I've ever had. Extremely boring. Outside of class he is unhelpful and not very nice. Actually decreased the value of my Berkeley experience. Didn't learn anything except to avoid taking him ever again.

4/10/13

IAS 102

Definitely the worst class that I've taken at UC Berkeley. I was expecting to be challenged and supported by my professor. Instead we read books that he didn't understand and, therefore, couldn't teach. Moreover, He is not very helpful nor respectful of students. I don't think he has ever really considered viewpoints besides his own.

10/5/12

IAS102

He is certainly NOT the best and his teaching content and style are not very good. However, you can get an A in his class very easily.

4/4/12

IAS45

Wonderful Professor! He engages you in lectures and knows his topics extremely well. Is quirky and has great presence. Also VERY helpful in office hours and interested in his students.

12/7/11

IAS102

Taking a seminar with Karras is awesome. I can't believe how much he has challenged me. He really takes the time to get me to articulate clearly about my thesis and not be afraid to rethink my assumptions. Yes, he pushes hard and I guess if you are not ready to be pushed you're going to hate it. But if you are you up for it you will learn a lot!

11/16/11

IAS102

I hate this seminar. It is long and redundant. We receive very few (or no) guidelines for our papers. I think Karras is a nice guy, but, after taking this class, I would warn any and all IAS students not to take the honors seminar, unless you want an enjoyable year. Wow, I really detest this class.

10/15/11

IAS102

Having to sit through a seminar-based class with Karras is torture. He is peremptory about his viewpoints, and condescending toward students. While the organization of the class is satisfactory, his attitude makes the course rather unenjoyable. I am afraid that Karras does not compare to the many great profs at Berkeley (though he thinks he does).

19074172
1/16/10

PEIS100

The guy is a genius. Knows his stuff front to back. Will make you rethink people you thought you knew like Smith and Marx. A lot of reading, but it's worth it!!! One of the best teachers I ever had.

12/27/09

PEIS100

Hands down one of the best professors at Cal. Amazing class, tons of reading, but the reader and books are all very cheap. The lectures are both entertaining and engaging, and he truly knows his stuff. I have used things I learned in his class in almost every other class I have taken in some form or another.

5/11/09

IAS45

I disagree, the tests are extremely fair. They test how well you can make an argument about an historical process using examples from world history! Karras is extremely intelligent, clear, and hilarious. Also, interesting new perspectives. If you enjoy history and "thinking like an historian", you will thrive in this class.

4/2/09

IAS45

Be warned, these ratings are misleading. Issue is not the material it's the exams, they are written poorly,oddly weighted, irrelevant & hardly test you on the actual material. His GSIs are as useless as he is when it comes to exam prep. Berk rep & out of state tuition I pay should not be left to their discretion. AVOID KARRAS!

12/14/08

PEIS100

Very good professor. Challenged everyone to question the authors we were reading. This class is a very theoretical class - not a ton of memorization, but there is a TON of reading. Just learn the general theories of the authors and you'll be fine for tests. Be sure to find conflicts between various authors.

9/12/08

IAS45

Awesome professor. One of the best at Berkeley! If you have a chance to work with him on a thesis, I would take it in a heartbeat. He has wonderful command of methods and has amazing logical clarity in thinking about arguments. Very knowledgeable about many different fields as well.

4/29/08

PEIS100

One of the best Professor at Berkeley (ie in my top two or three). He very much encouraged us to challenge and question the philosophies we studied. Great orator. Very clear, comprehensive and left time at the end of class for debate and discussion. In his last lecture, he nearly brought me to tears as he challenges us to change the world. A class

4/5/08

IAS45

I love this Professor a lot. He is by far the best that I have ever taken, he is very clear and concise. Though there is quite a lot of reading, if you stick to it and do your half as a student you should end up with an A, I got a B, but I slacked off a bit. Also make sure that you get a really good GSI. All-in-all he was an amazing professor.

More History professors at University of California Berkeley