in University of Oregon that teach Journalism Edit
at University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
are you Debra Merskin?
B

04/02/2014
J320 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very unorganized. Gives quizzes that have very detailed questions on the reading that even if you read the stuff you could still get an F on it.Exams were easy, but she just never gave points for some things and lost work. Just was not happy in general with the class given the subject.

03/25/2014
J329 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: B

DO NOT TAKE HER CLASS. She is so unorganized that she never posted a grade for the two extra credit essays I did. If she had I would have an A in the class, and she won't go back and change it. She also gives a final exam and a partner 12 page research paper due in the same week. I did not enjoy her class at all, despite my interest in the topic.

11/19/2013
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Merskin is a pretty easy teacher as long as you do the readings and show up to class you can't get lower than a B

03/17/2013
J314 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Debra was the most unhelpful teacher I have ever had. When I asked for help she told me to read the textbook more and blew me off. If you like quizzes the day after a midterm take her class and be ready to be called out in class if you did do the difficult course reading. A poor teacher. I would not recommend her to anyone.

12/27/2012
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very interesting class and interesting professor - I had her for Love, Sex and the Media and would recommend it. I tried hard in this class though and only ended up with a B+. You HAVE to go to class because she does quizzes on the readings - the 2 times I skipped were 2 of the quizzes and there went 20 points.

03/22/2012
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Merskin is nice. She is pretty easy to talk to & she is good at answering emails. I had her for a 400 level class so the reading load was a lot & she is a very strict paper grader so if you dont know APA learn it! If you dont skip class and do the reading you should be fine. Test and quizzes are pretty easy as long as you keep up on the reading.

12/09/2011
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Merskin is great. She can be tough but she's really nice and helpful. I really enjoyed her upper division class. I've heard mixed reviews about the bigger lower division classes but she is a really awesome teacher if you try to engage just a little bit.

03/24/2011
Jour320 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This class is ridiculous, I don't pay professors so that I can watch documentaries in class. BUT if you show up to class(and pay attention) and read the text you will do fine. But lectures are boring and she is a complete liberal feminist.

01/24/2011
J314 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Pop quizzes, two tests and a final paper. Lectures were sporadic and pretty dry.. But Merskin is a genuinely nice person and really cares about her students success. She wants you to learn this material.

12/07/2010
J314 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Unannounced weekly quizzes over textbook material. Gives extra credit and a bonus quiz. The final took everyone about 15-20 minutes to complete. Go to class everyday, take notes, read the book and you'll get an A.

03/14/2010
good
J320 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very nice if you get to know her, spices up lectures with video clips, tests not too hard

04/08/2008
J201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I took her class fall term of DO NOT TAKE A CLASS TAUGHT BY MERSKIN IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!!!!!

01/01/2008
J201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Most people were on the right course when they waited for the quizzes and left the lecture hall. She did not deserve the respect of staying. Nothing of weight was learned in her lectures. The text is the only useful resource. Ruined my enthusiasm for Journalism.

12/08/2007
J201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

How is Merskin a teacher. The GTF's would write up the pop quizzes, they wrote the Exams, they graded our papers and Merskin just showed up to class pretending like she was about to teach. We learned nothing important and PS Merskin, an 88 % is a B+..not a B. Thanks for nothing! Where do they find professors like her?

12/02/2007
good
J201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Merskin is a wonderful teacher! I loved her class and look forward to taking her again in the future (hopefully).

11/30/2007

I'm a Journalism Major, or at least I was. I'm giving the school one more chance but after taking her class I'm tempted to find a new major. Almost all of your learning is done from reading a textbook (boring but educational). I only show up to lectures because there are a lot of quizzes. Killed my enthusiasm for a class I'd be looking forward to!

11/06/2007

I was looking forward to this class as my first journalism class....now I've switched majors, switched to pass/no pass...and dread every day of it. She is a lazy teacher, talking about only things of her intrest, not what we should learn, and using YouTube in nearly every lecture, intresting? no, just a waste of time!

03/19/2007
j201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I was really excited to start taking journalism classes and love to write, but this class was not what I expected at all. Tons of unnecessary readings that are hardly ever connected to lecture. She is one of the most unorganized professors I have encountered.

01/05/2007
good
HC424 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Merskin appears to be very knowledgeable about stereotypes in the mass media (the topic of our class), and I only wish she would've spent more time sharing some of that knowledge with us - what I mean is that I would've preferred a few more lectures rather than purely discussion every day. Still, she's a great professor and an awesome person.

10/24/2005
J 201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Big Time feminist. Good luck if your a guy