Laurie Wood at Utah Valley University

Laurie Wood

Number of ratings 51 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

4/6/14

ENGL 2600

Even though I agreed with many of her views and think the subject could have been interesting, every class was boring, bland, and tedious. I think she wanted to be there less than her students did. Even when you do everything she asks on a paper you will have to rewrite it, and she will say you did things wrong that she specifically told you to do.

3/17/14

ENG-2600-003

Even after close revision, she tore my papers apart; papers that my other professors enjoyed. I stopped trying halfway through because I would get the same grade either way. I hate the group grading system, I hate that every comment I made was shot down, I hate that nobody took me seriously because I'm young. Find another professor.

1/8/14

English 2010

I really enjoyed this class! You will expected to work hard for a good grade in Laurie's class and participation is a must but you will learn so much. She provides great feedback on your papers and is very willing to provide any extra help. And, Laurie has the best sense of humor :)

12/20/13

English 2600

Professor Wood is one of the best professors I've ever had. The course is not easy but she makes herself very accessible and is always willing to help you in and out of class. She was very respectful of other's opinions but would offer a counter opinion as well to add perspective. I definitely recommend taking her courses!

12/20/12

ENGL2600

Professor Wood has a very nice set up for her class. She has a grading system, so if you do the work you get the points. If you try, she is fair and is willing to help. However, I found her teaching confusing. She would frequently start sentenecs without completing them. I didn't know what she wanted half the time.

12/7/12

ENGL2600

If you aren't willing to let go your own opinions long enough to learn about the theories, you'll hate this class. But if you are willing to learn, you'll love it. Laurie grades hard but fair, and gives PHENOMENAL feedback on every paper. She's VERY willing to help you understand the theories and help you be a better writer. One of the best at UVU.

10/30/12

ENG2010

If you have liberal views take her. If not, don't bother. She is very difficult and has a large work load. She is willing to help you see things like her. By doing so you will get an alright grade. I got a B+ but I hated this class with a passion.

8/25/12

ENG2600

Yes you get lots of leftist views but if you don't take it personally you will learn more. She tries to teach you to analyze from a variety of views, not just your own. She's fair and helpful if you participate, communicate and try. She wants your best and you will be a better writer at the end of it. She will meet every effort you make. Excellent.

5/30/12

eng2010

She sets up the first assignement to identify the conservative/straight students and then executes them the rest of the semester. Opinionated, and offensive. No matter how well you articulate your position/opionions if she smells white,male,conservative,straight---your toast. take a different class. seriously. she is not worth it.

4/7/12

ENGL2010

Professor Wood was great! Honestly at first I was worried because of her rating, but I came to realize that most of the people rating her were probably lazy. Yes, she does give a lot of work. But you're in college to learn, and you do learn a lot in her class. She is critical to help you improve. One of the best teachers I've had, if not the best.

7/5/11

ENG4210

One of the worst profs I have ever encountered. Very opinionated, and if you don't agree with her, she doesn't like it, and your grade reflects it. I was appalled at some of the comments on some of the papers handed back. I would avoid her classes at any cost!

12/19/10

ENG2010

Professor Wood is easily my favorite college professor so far, if not the best English teacher at UVU. I normally don't enjoy my English courses but I loved the whole semester with her. She just changed textbooks so disregard all of the previous comments made about her and her course. I highly recommend her. Not easy, but enjoyable.

12/5/10

ENGL2600

I liked Laurie and learned a lot from her class -- very challenging and interesting. It was an easy A for me, but I got a bit frustrated toward the end of the semester with her frequently changing expectations and disjointed lecture style. She will challenge you and make you think and work hard but be prepared to put up with some bias, changing expectations(usually in the students' favor, though) and some failings in lecture style.

9/10/10

Engl2600

Great teacher. I learned a lot from her. Take her class if you can.

7/27/10

engl1010

One of the worst professors ever!Don't waste your time and $.She is mean and very opinionated!She loves tearing your papers apart and making fun of them.I can't believe she is still @ UVU.She has no business being a teacher of any kind!I really wish teachers like her weren't allowed to keep terrorizing students!U will be sorry if u take her!

7/21/10

Engl2600

This class was challenging but in all the right ways. She helps you to broaden your horizons and look at literature through many different lenses. I learned a lot. The lectures were a little boring at times as I didn't understand how it applied but overall this was a great class to take. Definitely take as one of your first English classes.

12/23/09

ENGL2600

Impossible to please. She is very critical of yoru papers unless you share her viewpoints. I would email her drafts and perfect them according to her suggestions, then the next day she would trash them. She doesn't know what she wants, and everyone gave up trying to please her by the end. Do NOT take from her unless you share her viewpoints.

12/18/09

ENGL2010

I'm reading these comments and going crazy, easily the hardest class I took, she's a hardcore liberal, if you believe in that take her, you'll get an A, if not don't you'll fail miserably. I passed only after I pretended to see the world like her.

12/15/09

ENGL2600

Professor Wood knows her stuff, but is very picky on her papers. She was more likely to focus on your grammar than on your actual reasoning in papers. If you talk to her, she will help you, but she can be intimidating to approach.

11/3/09

engl2010

I think this is the only class I have ever taken that I have actually learned anything. Class was very hard but if you stick with it you will like her,and it will be rewarding. recommended if you want to learn something.

More English professors at Utah Valley University