in Utah Valley University that teach English Edit
are you Laurie Wood?
B-
1.9
12/16/2014
ENGLISH 2600 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Gives good feedback" "Tests? Not many" "Tough Grader"

Basically, if you show up to class and do the work you will get an A close to 100% and then the final will kill you because she is a tough grader, but you'll pass anyways. She's helpful if you ask and her lessons are clear cut! You basically write down what she says and throw it back up on paper. She's a really good teacher! Just a tough grader.

11/05/2014
ENGL 2010 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: Not sure yet
"Tough Grader"

She's crazy! There are normal everyday words she won't let you use, and she told me I was plagiarizing even though I had my sources! If I fail this class, it screws me over big time, and she's the only teacher I've ever had problems with.

04/18/2014
Eng 2600-003 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

The subjects and the works were interesting and I felt like I understood the subject during class but every paper the class completed was deemed unacceptable with little to no direction on how to improve. I was progressively more discouraged to the point where I was rethinking my decision to major in English because of my apparent incompetence.

04/06/2014
ENGL 2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Even though I agreed with many of her views and think the subject could have been interesting, every class was boring, bland, and tedious. I think she wanted to be there less than her students did. Even when you do everything she asks on a paper you will have to rewrite it, and she will say you did things wrong that she specifically told you to do.

03/17/2014
ENG-2600-003 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Even after close revision, she tore my papers apart; papers that my other professors enjoyed. I stopped trying halfway through because I would get the same grade either way. I hate the group grading system, I hate that every comment I made was shot down, I hate that nobody took me seriously because I'm young. Find another professor.

01/08/2014
good
English 2010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I really enjoyed this class! You will expected to work hard for a good grade in Laurie's class and participation is a must but you will learn so much. She provides great feedback on your papers and is very willing to provide any extra help. And, Laurie has the best sense of humor :)

12/20/2013
good
English 2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Professor Wood is one of the best professors I've ever had. The course is not easy but she makes herself very accessible and is always willing to help you in and out of class. She was very respectful of other's opinions but would offer a counter opinion as well to add perspective. I definitely recommend taking her courses!

12/20/2012
ENGL2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Professor Wood has a very nice set up for her class. She has a grading system, so if you do the work you get the points. If you try, she is fair and is willing to help. However, I found her teaching confusing. She would frequently start sentenecs without completing them. I didn't know what she wanted half the time.

12/07/2012
good

If you aren't willing to let go your own opinions long enough to learn about the theories, you'll hate this class. But if you are willing to learn, you'll love it. Laurie grades hard but fair, and gives PHENOMENAL feedback on every paper. She's VERY willing to help you understand the theories and help you be a better writer. One of the best at UVU.

10/30/2012
ENG2010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

If you have liberal views take her. If not, don't bother. She is very difficult and has a large work load. She is willing to help you see things like her. By doing so you will get an alright grade. I got a B+ but I hated this class with a passion.

08/25/2012
good
ENG2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Yes you get lots of leftist views but if you don't take it personally you will learn more. She tries to teach you to analyze from a variety of views, not just your own. She's fair and helpful if you participate, communicate and try. She wants your best and you will be a better writer at the end of it. She will meet every effort you make. Excellent.

05/30/2012
eng2010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She sets up the first assignement to identify the conservative/straight students and then executes them the rest of the semester. Opinionated, and offensive. No matter how well you articulate your position/opionions if she smells white,male,conservative,straight---your toast. take a different class. seriously. she is not worth it.

04/07/2012
good
ENGL2010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Professor Wood was great! Honestly at first I was worried because of her rating, but I came to realize that most of the people rating her were probably lazy. Yes, she does give a lot of work. But you're in college to learn, and you do learn a lot in her class. She is critical to help you improve. One of the best teachers I've had, if not the best.

07/05/2011
ENG4210 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

One of the worst profs I have ever encountered. Very opinionated, and if you don't agree with her, she doesn't like it, and your grade reflects it. I was appalled at some of the comments on some of the papers handed back. I would avoid her classes at any cost!

12/19/2010
good
ENG2010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Professor Wood is easily my favorite college professor so far, if not the best English teacher at UVU. I normally don't enjoy my English courses but I loved the whole semester with her. She just changed textbooks so disregard all of the previous comments made about her and her course. I highly recommend her. Not easy, but enjoyable.

12/05/2010
ENGL2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I liked Laurie and learned a lot from her class -- very challenging and interesting. It was an easy A for me, but I got a bit frustrated toward the end of the semester with her frequently changing expectations and disjointed lecture style. She will challenge you and make you think and work hard but be prepared to put up with some bias, changing expectations(usually in the students' favor, though) and some failings in lecture style.

09/10/2010
good
Engl2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Great teacher. I learned a lot from her. Take her class if you can.

07/27/2010
engl1010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

One of the worst professors ever!Don't waste your time and $.She is mean and very opinionated!She loves tearing your papers apart and making fun of them.I can't believe she is still @ UVU.She has no business being a teacher of any kind!I really wish teachers like her weren't allowed to keep terrorizing students!U will be sorry if u take her!

07/21/2010
good
Engl2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class was challenging but in all the right ways. She helps you to broaden your horizons and look at literature through many different lenses. I learned a lot. The lectures were a little boring at times as I didn't understand how it applied but overall this was a great class to take. Definitely take as one of your first English classes.

12/23/2009
ENGL2600 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Impossible to please. She is very critical of yoru papers unless you share her viewpoints. I would email her drafts and perfect them according to her suggestions, then the next day she would trash them. She doesn't know what she wants, and everyone gave up trying to please her by the end. Do NOT take from her unless you share her viewpoints.