Davalene Cooper at New England School of Law

Davalene Cooper

Number of ratings 25 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

1/13/13

Crim1

She's a fine professor. Not great but also not terrible. Average.

1/25/12

Remed001

In retrospect a good teacher.900 pages of reading. Challenging but manageable pace.She seems to actually care about whether or not students understand material, as long as you show effort. Seems like a nice person and was approachable for clarification.Difficult exam,but doable.She won't tell you everything on exam, when she says it will be,listen!

10/18/11

CrimL200

The nicest and most fair professor ever. When she tells you something is on the test listen to her.

3/30/11

ETHICADR

I love Prof. Cooper. I've had her for 2 classes and I'm taking a third next semester. She's very approachable, fair, but doesn't allow nonsensical rants and cuts people off when needed. When she asks questions not explicitly covered in class (re: crim law complaints) she's rewarded those that READ instead of just show up.

1/18/11

ADR100

One of the worst professors I have ever had. Had her for alternative dispute resolution and learned nothing. She grades according to how much she likes you. If you want to get a good grade in her class you have to pretend to care about her life story and try to suck up to her.

1/13/11

CrimD02

Cooper is a very fair teacher. I think people improperly direct complaints at her when they underestimate the amount of nuance in Crim. Law. People assume it's easy from the go and are disappointed in May. Get this book (978-1422429877) and outline it. If you do, you'll do well. Period. She loves it and teaches right from it. Thank me later.

8/20/10

crimd2

Normally I only read comments about other professors on this site but I wanted to take time to say that Professor Cooper is the WORST teacher at NESL. she is disrespectful and if you're not on her good side she is a huge **** and won't answer your questions. her class is horrible and i learned nothing. i will never take another course from her.

7/20/10

CrimD2

I felt like Prof Cooper did a great job explaining the material and was very receptive to feedback. She is extremely fair and warm. I would take a class with her again without question.

1/6/10

CrmLe1

as a Crim Law professor, she is nuts. Crazy classroom discussions that don't necessarily go anywhere useful. The exam was tough but didn't find her to be a hard grader thankfully as I didn't learn much in this class.

8/17/09

crimcrim

Absolutely awful professor. She used to teach undergrad and never practiced law...and you can tell. She uses power points to teach the class and reads straight from them. She chose to focus on homicide for the majority of the semester rather than teaching us about any other topic that is on the bar, like rape. Her exam was also ridiculous.

7/23/09

PR1

Professor Cooper is a very narrow minded person, which I slowly learned over 3 courses with her. Yes, I did personally have a bad experience with her, but I still want to warn you: Do not get on her bad side - she will find a way to screw you over! She is not kind and does not seem to want to help students. She really disappointed me.

7/14/09

Crim100

Professor Cooper's CrimLaw class was not what I was hoping. I REALLY wanted to be interested in this class. However, I could not keep focused. It really dragged. She tried to relate to the students too hard. what should have been the most interesting class of the semester=snoozefest. Exam more about rote memorization vs. analysis.

5/27/09

Crim101

I was looking forward to this class but cooper helped destroy the interest. She makes the class more about the philosophy of things while stating in her exam answers that your answer is right but she thinks hers is more right, without explaining why this is the case. Homicide and punishment are dwelled on with not much else,be prepared to selfteach

5/4/09

CrimE01

She somehow made interesting subject matter tedious and unnecessarily confusing. Be prepared to teach yourself. Will never take another class with her again. Only good thing I can say is we didn't get called on at all after the third week.

12/4/08

ADR1

ADR with Cooper is a piece of cake! Don't by the book, skim it in the library. Lots of role play participation...small amount of lecutre...10-15 page paper...no exam. EASY, fun even!

11/24/08

ETH01

I agree that Prof. Cooper wasn't the greatest for Crim Law, but she was awesome in Ethics. She managed to make an otherwise boring class really fun. Even if you had a bad experience first year in Crim, take Ethics with her if you can. She's much better with smaller groups of upper class tudents.

7/30/08

CRIMD2

She is not a very good lecturer at all and can be very hard to follow in class. That being said, she offers a lot of outside material and study guides for you, way more so than other professors. I found her exam to be very fair, just be prepared to teach yourself.

4/1/08

Cri101

First, I want to say that the majority of the negative comments here are accurate. AVOID! Cooper cannot just tell us what we need to know to master criminal law. This class should be called criminal theory. It focuses on the abstract, and then she expects us to just "know" the model penal code as distinct from common law

3/31/08

CRIMLAW

I don't really see what her weight has to do with anything....I enjoy her class. I think Criminal Law is a very tricky subject and that people are frustrated because of it, but I don't think it's because of her teaching. She goes out of her way to help you outside of class if you need it. Really feel she gets a bad rep because of appearance.

1/8/08

LRWe01

She is a really caring professor and the perfect person to have in charge of LRW for 1 and 2 ls. She is very helpful and although she is a stickler for the rules, she is reasonabale and flexible and she really go above and beyond to help you and do her job as your professor. I think she is a wonderful professor. The writing process can still suck.

More Law professors at New England School of Law