Barry Vacker at Temple University

Barry Vacker

Number of ratings 80 / Average Grade:  B+ Submit a correction

5/17/14

Grade ReceivedB

I cannot say enough about Professor Vacker. He is interesting, funny and helpful. The class ended far sooner than I wanted it to. There were 2 tests, Midterm and Final.The study guides covered everything needed for the tests.One written critique project, with a partner(or not)and a video project(2 partners or not)Great class! TA's were fabulous too

1/6/14

MSP 1021

Very interesting course and professor. I enjoyed his lectures and learned a lot of stuff. I would highly recommend reading some other books by Vacker, The End of the World... Again and Slugging Nothing. They will give you a big leg up on the material. Also pay attention to the lectures, readings and movie questions, they are very relevant!!

12/10/13

MSP 1021

He's crazy, he's passionate and knowledgable but tries to force his opinions on the class. As long as you understand his crazy thought process then you're good. Dont try to understand why you are learning the irrelevant stuff in the class just accept it and memorize it for the tests. Class can be interesting but frustrating as its a required class

11/21/13

MSP 1021

Vacker is very passionate about what he teaches. If you're interested in media, you'll like his class and appreciate his thoughtfulness. Expect him to repeat certain concepts though, like memes. Attendance is mandatory with only 1 free miss, but at least half the time it's a movie for class. Tests are pretty average, not easy or hard. I liked him!

11/6/13

BTMM 4445

Vacker is the man. I took 2 of his classes back in 2010 and he makes you aware about the the pros and cons to technology. His class was semi hard but I learned a lot, more than what my grade showed. It's 3 years later and I still refer back to his philosophies. The dude's got a weird voice but he's super smart. Pay attention and learn from him

10/19/13

MSP1021

He is such an amazing teacher! The course was interesting and the tests were easy. Especially if you did the readings and paid attention during the films. He also gives study guides that are almost the exact same questions on the test! Definitely a must take.

8/27/13

MSP1021

Actually one of the best classes I've taken. very interesting

8/20/13

MSP 1021

Prof. Vacker is a great professor. He may seem "out there", but he is definitely passionate about the way media affects society. You must enter the class with an open mind; he will definitely change the way you think about media. Video project was a lot of fun! & he grades fairly.

5/14/13

MSP 1021

I did not care for Vacker. Him and his TA's were very disorganized, and they were all harsh graders. I thought he was very intimidating because if someone asked a question or expressed another point of view, he would completely shut down their idea. Questions were not welcome, and if you didn't give the answer he wanted, then you were wrong.

2/8/13

BTMM1021

Vacker is a cool and funny guy. Attendance is mandatory but it's not bad because we watched a movie once a week and discussed it the other half. A lot of the stuff he talked about was really out there but it always gave you something to think about. The TA's that I had were really harsh graders so I did not do as well as I had hoped.

12/29/12

BTMM1021

This class was extremely interesting. The professor is nice yet he can be condescending at times. the class is not hard to pass but make it a habit to study. Dont be fooled by the big class size, he does take attendance every class. he grades fairly easy on the video project and paper however,the tests are are based heavily on the book so read

11/16/12

MSMP1021

Professor Vacker is great! He is the best professor I have had in all my college experience. His Media and Society class is so interesting and engaging, and the material he presents is out of this world..literally! He is also a really funny, interesting guy who can teach you a lot about life, beyond what is being taught in the course :)

11/6/12

MSP1021

I love the way he talks. Movie almost every week. PowerPoints are straight forward. Midterm is fairly easy. Expect to hear the word 'Meme' in every class. Only thing I don't like about him is his love for the Dallas Cowboys being a Philadelphia Eagles fan. Textbook isn't that bad either he edited it himself. Fun class. I support taking it

11/5/12

BTMM1011

Barry is a great guy. I leave every class with my mind blown. He goes hard on explanations and keeps everyone in it. We watch a lot of movies. I bought the text book... big mistake, its still plastic sealed. It says to read it but i still received an A on my midterm without picking it up, and a lot more easy classes to come for me.

11/5/12

BTMM1021

Personally, I don’t enjoy Vacker. He is extremely condescending to students and has a very large ego. I feel intimidated to ask questions and contribute to class discussions because of the way he treats his students. His jokes are always on the expense of one of his students, and even then they are never funny.

1/26/12

BTMM4445

He is great, this class is really interesting and fun, you watch a movie every week, and write a short paper or reflection about it, cant get much better. I love this guy he is really helpful and smart and knows what he is talking about, he is really passionate about this class and the themes. TAKE IT!

7/2/11

BTMM1011

Mass Comm Theory (in the summer) was such a thought provoking class. He expects you to be on time, expects work on time as well as your participation (if you're not in a class of 300 or more.) He is excellent at explaining things and although this doesn't sound like a fun class, I guarantee any of you will enjoy what he has to offer.

5/25/11

btmm4445

Seriously passionate about barry! I took a class with him my last 2 semesters and would take every class with him if I could. He's a genius, and yes it's a lot of work but you just need to listen to him, which I don't find difficult. He explains things clearly and is extremely helpful with questions and email responses/office hours.

5/17/11

BTMM1041

Barry is a great guy. I have to admit, in the beginning, I thought he was weird and he was a little nerdy. It almost seemed like he was teaching a course on living a better life. But I actually started listening to him and it made sense and I def. look at media differently. Its ALOT of work. Half ass it and your guaranteed a B

5/2/11

MEDIA1041

Great teacher. Theories are intense but the guy is a genius. Iif you take your time to absorb them you will be thinking about the world through new perspectives that will help you both educationally and on a day to day basis. Easy class if you do the work. He relates everything to movies so you get to watch many good ones. Very insightful class.

More Communication professors at Temple University