in Temple University that teach Communication Edit
are you Barry Vacker?
B-
11/12/2014
good
mSP Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: B+
"Respected by students" "Clear grading criteria" "Would take again"

Vacker's a cool dude. Kind of cocky but he's accomplished a lot. His lectures will get you to think, whether youre paying attention or not. He's organized and so is the class. Class isn't very hard. He's a teacher you should take, his lectures are often about sciene, which is cool and he met beyonce

11/07/2014
good
MSP Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A
"Would take again" "Skip class? You won't pass." "Get ready to read"

Vacker's Media and Society class is very interesting. He's a bit cocky but for all the right reasons. I had a good experience in his class and would recommend anyone going into any sort of media related field to go through a class of his. Takes attendance every day, expensive textbook required.

11/06/2014
good
msp102 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A
"Respected by students" "Inspirational" "Amazing lectures"

Great Professor! Love his lectures we get to watch and critique many movies and videos. Project is fun and you get to work in a group. He inspires us to be better . I disagree with the comments below who say he is opinionated. His lectures are on what were supposed to learn! Id take his class over if I could. He wants us to pass and also learn.

11/02/2014
1021 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Amazing lectures" "Hilarious" "Would take again"

Professor Vacker is a character. The whole class (Media and Society) is based off of his own philosophy with how media and society affect each other. He wrote the textbook so that is also all his own work. Some of his stuff is abstract and a bit out there, but overall he is absolutely hilarious. Lots of movies in class and a few quizzes.

05/17/2014
good
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: B

I cannot say enough about Professor Vacker. He is interesting, funny and helpful. The class ended far sooner than I wanted it to. There were 2 tests, Midterm and Final.The study guides covered everything needed for the tests.One written critique project, with a partner(or not)and a video project(2 partners or not)Great class! TA's were fabulous too

01/06/2014
good
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very interesting course and professor. I enjoyed his lectures and learned a lot of stuff. I would highly recommend reading some other books by Vacker, The End of the World... Again and Slugging Nothing. They will give you a big leg up on the material. Also pay attention to the lectures, readings and movie questions, they are very relevant!!

12/10/2013
good
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He's crazy, he's passionate and knowledgable but tries to force his opinions on the class. As long as you understand his crazy thought process then you're good. Dont try to understand why you are learning the irrelevant stuff in the class just accept it and memorize it for the tests. Class can be interesting but frustrating as its a required class

11/21/2013
good
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Vacker is very passionate about what he teaches. If you're interested in media, you'll like his class and appreciate his thoughtfulness. Expect him to repeat certain concepts though, like memes. Attendance is mandatory with only 1 free miss, but at least half the time it's a movie for class. Tests are pretty average, not easy or hard. I liked him!

11/06/2013
good
BTMM 4445 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Vacker is the man. I took 2 of his classes back in 2010 and he makes you aware about the the pros and cons to technology. His class was semi hard but I learned a lot, more than what my grade showed. It's 3 years later and I still refer back to his philosophies. The dude's got a weird voice but he's super smart. Pay attention and learn from him

10/19/2013
good
MSP1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He is such an amazing teacher! The course was interesting and the tests were easy. Especially if you did the readings and paid attention during the films. He also gives study guides that are almost the exact same questions on the test! Definitely a must take.

08/27/2013
good
MSP1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Actually one of the best classes I've taken. very interesting

08/20/2013
good
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Prof. Vacker is a great professor. He may seem "out there", but he is definitely passionate about the way media affects society. You must enter the class with an open mind; he will definitely change the way you think about media. Video project was a lot of fun! & he grades fairly.

05/14/2013
MSP 1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I did not care for Vacker. Him and his TA's were very disorganized, and they were all harsh graders. I thought he was very intimidating because if someone asked a question or expressed another point of view, he would completely shut down their idea. Questions were not welcome, and if you didn't give the answer he wanted, then you were wrong.

02/08/2013
good
BTMM1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Vacker is a cool and funny guy. Attendance is mandatory but it's not bad because we watched a movie once a week and discussed it the other half. A lot of the stuff he talked about was really out there but it always gave you something to think about. The TA's that I had were really harsh graders so I did not do as well as I had hoped.

12/29/2012
good
BTMM1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class was extremely interesting. The professor is nice yet he can be condescending at times. the class is not hard to pass but make it a habit to study. Dont be fooled by the big class size, he does take attendance every class. he grades fairly easy on the video project and paper however,the tests are are based heavily on the book so read

11/16/2012
good
MSMP1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Vacker is great! He is the best professor I have had in all my college experience. His Media and Society class is so interesting and engaging, and the material he presents is out of this world..literally! He is also a really funny, interesting guy who can teach you a lot about life, beyond what is being taught in the course :)

11/06/2012
good
MSP1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I love the way he talks. Movie almost every week. PowerPoints are straight forward. Midterm is fairly easy. Expect to hear the word 'Meme' in every class. Only thing I don't like about him is his love for the Dallas Cowboys being a Philadelphia Eagles fan. Textbook isn't that bad either he edited it himself. Fun class. I support taking it

11/05/2012
good
BTMM1011 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Barry is a great guy. I leave every class with my mind blown. He goes hard on explanations and keeps everyone in it. We watch a lot of movies. I bought the text book... big mistake, its still plastic sealed. It says to read it but i still received an A on my midterm without picking it up, and a lot more easy classes to come for me.

11/05/2012
BTMM1021 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Personally, I don’t enjoy Vacker. He is extremely condescending to students and has a very large ego. I feel intimidated to ask questions and contribute to class discussions because of the way he treats his students. His jokes are always on the expense of one of his students, and even then they are never funny.

01/26/2012
good
BTMM4445 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He is great, this class is really interesting and fun, you watch a movie every week, and write a short paper or reflection about it, cant get much better. I love this guy he is really helpful and smart and knows what he is talking about, he is really passionate about this class and the themes. TAKE IT!