in University of Mary Washington that teach History Edit
Professor in the History department
at University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA
are you James Spady?

06/07/2006
HIST 131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Spady is laid back and has a charming, if not dorky sense of humor. Take his class if you are confident in your abilities as a writer. One test, three papers..and really no need to attend class after the first test.

05/16/2006
good
HIST471 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

An excellent professor who will be missed. I loved this class and his passion for the subject came through.

05/12/2006
good
HIST 131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I loved this class! i really wanted to learn more about US history and Spady definately pulled through. His classes are nothing like youve ever had in high school becuase he actually disects the information to find all possible reasons for the history. Very sad he got a different teaching location. Papers were returned late but class was worth it!

05/03/2006
HIST132 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

He's leaving after this semester so we won't have to worry. But, he cancelled class quite a few times (5+). Nothing was given back in a timely manner (still haven't got essay grades). Came away feeling like I didn't learn a thing about US history.

05/01/2006
hist b4 1865 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

05/01/2006
HIST 131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He's a nice guy, but dont ever expect anything back on time. Tries to make class interesting but usually ends up with information presented in a disorganized manner.

02/15/2006
good
HST 131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The first 4 weeks are just discussion but then he begins to lecture and it gets a lot more interesting.... Class is almost always fun

12/08/2005
good
Hist of VA Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Spady is awesome!!! His lectures are interesting and he only lectures one day a week. The other class is discussioned based on the reading that was done for that day. He really wants you to put your opinion out there. Spady is very helpful on papers and other assignments. I would love to take another class with him.

11/28/2005
good
HIST131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Spady is a nice guy, but I didn't enjoy his teaching style at all. He focused more on how the author wrote about the facts than the facts themselves. He changed the format of the class too. 1 test 3 papers. Overall, not too bad...if you want to nit pick and analyze history textbooks.

11/14/2005
good

He's a very nice guy, and I enjoyed his lectures. I chose to write the essays and he was an extremely fair grader, and the class discussions would have gone better if the class had been engaged and prepared...but that seems to be an issue with all mary wash classes.

11/03/2005
good
HST Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I really enjoyed Prof Spadys class.Every lecture reminded me of story time as opposed to the typical history 'memorize these dates' kind of lessons.Learning from him is so easy b/c he is so engaging & history is always more entertaining when its told like a story. I prefer the essays to the tests so that its on your shoulders to either pass or fail

10/28/2005
good
Hist 131 (? Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I also was a student in James' first UMW class. I gained a lot from James' insight and learned a lot. The discussions were rough, but that was because of the students not being prepared. I frequently took an outlandish position just to get my classmates started! I'd take another course of his if i can work it in my schedule!

10/28/2005
good
US History Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Prof Spady was a good prof. It is obvious he cares about his students and he's willing to give help to anyone who asks. He tried to break lectures up with discussions. The only thing that would hinder that was when classmates didn't do the reading. Sometimes lectures dragged on, but what lecture doesn't. Loved the papers instead of tests!

good
History Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I greatly enjoyed Spady's History class. I liked that we discussed the material and were not just given notes and told to memorize. The exams were easy if you studied, and he's always willing to grade on a curve.

good

As an upperclassmen taking the course his first semester at UMW I thought the class was very interesting, and perhaps above what incoming froshmen and sophmores could handle, which is why some may have called it boring. I took a lot from the course.

good
Hist 132 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I thought Professor Spady was a very good teacher and his lecutres were interesting. I wrote papers for my midterm and final and I thought that he was a fair grader and willing to help you improve your grade.

good
hist 350 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I thought he was a very nice guy, and very fair.

good
hist 132 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The class was clear and fair. The tests were very hard.

05/08/2005
HIST 132 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

What a disappointment. I love history but this was easily the worst history class I have ever taken. Rather than talking about the MATERIAL, Spady prefers to bore you with focusing on author's perspective ON the material. This class definately wasn't worth the time and so I stopped going outright.

04/26/2005
History 131 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Spady is a nice guy but is boring as heck! His lectures are like watching grass grow - just SO BORING! It's also hard to take notes because it's easy to tune him out. Always choose essays over tests b/c the tests will kill you. Stay in school, don't do drugs!