Randy Michener at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)

Randy Michener

Number of ratings 14 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

5/16/12

ART122

His class has helped me get over my fear of using color. I don't know if it was just our class, but he wasn't inspired by us and that made him very uninspiring. I didn't feel like he really taught anyone how to really draw. He doesn't give any feedback, doesnt have models and doesnt do regular critics. Thank god I took my Drawing I class elsewhere.

5/9/12

ART122

Not helpful at all. Gives no critiques or any feedback. I have taken both his Drawing I and 2 classes and received a B in both. He says he only grades on completeness yet I completed all my work during drawing 2 and still received a B. I don't think he has any sort of guidelines when he grades. I wouldn't take him again.

11/28/11

ART131

Here's how the class works: in class we look at and critique the assignment that was given at the end of the previous class. Those assignments are given with very little instruction, if any at all. He doesn't tell us or explain to us anything about design. I have gotten grades from A+ to C- with no reason or feedback or explanation. Horrible Prof.

11/8/11

ARt101

Don't know who gave him the pepper but they lied horribly. Honestly in drawing I found him and his class extremely uninspiring. I had the class once a week, and at least 5 classes he made us draw him as a model. Really boring. and if you upset him he makes an example of you in front of the class. Easy class, but otherwise of little appeal.

11/6/10

ART121

Mr. Michener did not require a textbook. Expected you to attend class and stay for the entire time. He gave little feedback on drawings. Was very friendly and personable.

6/28/10

DES131

Took both his design and drawing class. He grades very fairly, 98% of it being on completeness. he understands if you are not the best in art, don't worry. he is SO nice, and was willing to help me choose the right major that i was interested in. LOVED him. i wish he offered more classes though, i don't want a different teacher. :(

5/6/10

ART298

Randy is great. Even if you're not artistically inclined, he grades well for at least trying. As long as you show up and do work, it's an easy A. DO NOT take advantage of his kindness, because he will fail you if you constantly skip or don't complete any assignments. Very fun to talk to, and always has great stories.

8/6/08

draw2

Very chill teacher. He loves using color. Its an easy "A" if you show up.

8/8/06

ART 241

Very chill... like LOTS of BRIGHT colors. Usually doesn't have a lot of advice about how to help a piece, stylistically, but doesn't force you to change to his taste except for the color thing.

7/9/05

PAINTING I

This class is more like a studio than instruction, but advice is always available, and he doesn't expect you to alter work to his personal taste. Very relaxed, somebody said "bring music" this is true, bring some headphones and your MP3/CD.. Otherwise you get to listen to Tim's mom whining all day long..

6/29/05

Design 1

Randy michener is awesome!! he's friendly and helpful, and his classes are a blast. he also respects the fact that some mediums are easier for some people than others, and takes that into consideration when he grades work. if he can tell you really tried, you will get a good grade, even if your work is not the best in class.

6/27/05

art

dont be modist about your work becuase in fund of design your work is displayed to the whole class and you are required to talk about it. it is fun to compare your work to the rest of the class.

12/13/04

ART 131

awesome teacher! the guy has personality and SO creative. flexible and grades fair. one of the best and professional art teacher i ever have. don't expect a step by step on how to do projects. he gives them in very low detail... and the rest is up to you. freedom of choice.

4/21/04

ART

Rater Interest

Very liberal with style, won't try to manipulate yours. LOVES COLOR. Lots of pastel and charcoal work in Drawing I and II. Oh and MANASSAS NEEDS MODELS!!--Does most of it himself (yes, clothed!) Easy going nice guy. Constructive criticism. Bring music..

More Fine Arts professors at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)