in Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses) that teach Mathematics Edit

08/06/2014
mth 277 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

he does not know how to teach!!

06/29/2014
MTH 291 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Should have read the reviews. I didn't think I needed to for an online course. He's often more interested in being sarcastic and showing off than seeing his own students succeed. There were MANY times where I answered a problem correctly, used the right method, yet received points off for not writing it down the exact way he wanted you to. USELESS.

06/09/2014
good
MTH 291 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

You must be extremely self motivated to do well. You automatically get an A for all of the quizzes, so long as you turn them in, and his exams are no more difficult than the quiz problems. Pay close attention to the feedback he gives you, and ask for clarification. He will challenge any bad math habits you have developed, so do not be sloppy.

05/24/2014
MTH 277 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Don't take him. Worst prof. ever. You need to know "math language" in order to explain the answer in the quiz. I'm not sure how he grades the midterm and final. He is not helpful; his explanation for just one question is related to presentation, and all you do is study by yourself. Good luck with whoever takes him. Just waste time, money!!!

01/04/2014
good
MTH 277 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

At first it seemed like he was a tough grader because his quiz feedback was very particular. And I had to rely on outside sources to learn the material. But he was always willing and available to go over questions. I did well by studying the exam guidelines, watching recordings of old e-meetings reviewing his quiz feedback.

12/21/2013
MTH-291 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

This professor is very difficult to deal with. He is extremely particular about your work and will criticize work that is not to his liking. As far as actual teaching, is it nonexistent, so you better be prepared to do all the work on your own. My recommendation, do not take this course with Dr. Goral---anybody else would offer more.

11/14/2013
MTH 174 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He says that he is available for help anytime via email. However, it will take him several days to respond and his response won't even help. If you are going to take another course, then take it with another professor.

06/05/2013
MTH 277 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Goral is willing to help if you ask for it. However, the help received is generally drawn out and sporadically explained. His downfall as a professor is not a lack of understanding of the course, but his methods of teaching and his ability to teach. This online class is an evaluation of your ability to teach yourself out of a textbook.

03/27/2013
MTH 166 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I took him this fall and he's a good person but not such a great teacher. Our class average was always in the 6x or lower range, he refused to curve any tests but he does drop the lowest one. Very unclear with the material and spends copious amounts of class time going over 3 homework problems and then rushes over the lesson. Do not take him.

05/11/2012
good
MTH277 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

If you need help, he's more than willing to take the time to help. If you do the HW, the assigned problems for each section, there should be no problem getting a "B" in the class. The exams are very simple forms of the HW... sometimes just changing a number or a sin to cos. Put effort and ask for help and you'll be fine.

04/05/2012
Math174 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Not a bad guy but definitely a bad teacher, that is if he can be considered a teacher. I'm retaking the class from another college and I feel bad for everyone in the class. Everything were learning is much easier then he teaches it to be and he's extremely picky when it comes to grading. I didn't get a single problem wrong but still got a B...

12/05/2011
MTH173 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I was retaking the course and had a full understanding of the math before going into his class. I even tutored a friend while taking it. This guy is a prick. He actively searched for reasons to take off points. You need to include unnecessary parenthesis. He will not curve tests. He gives pop-quizzes, so go to class.

07/13/2011
MTH291 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Goral is an alright guy. But his course is very challenging. He will help you if you need it. I've taken both 277 and 291 with this guy online. I am glad I won't have to take anymore of his exams or quizzes, both of which I believe are impossible to do execellent on so don't waste your time, just accept that you will be getting C or B.

07/13/2011

I've taken both 277 and 291 online. Dr. Goral is an alright guy. He will try to help you if you ask for it. This is an alright class but I am very glad I won't be taking anymore of his exams. They aren't super hard, just the weird conceptual problems leave a bad taste in my mouth. Dr. Goral is challenging, getting an A or B will not be easy.

05/16/2011
good

Dr. Goral is an extremely tough teacher, but is also extremely helpful and he DOES care about his students. Many times throughout the course, he assisted me late into the night via eMeetings when I requested them. He went out of his way and sacrificed his personal time to help me out. The biggest problems with his classes are the textbooks.

03/30/2011
mth277 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This guy is the absolute worst. New material on exams. Impossible quizzes. Bizarrely worded concept problems. On top of this, he has a terrible elitist attitude. He is rude to students. His meetings are useless as he rambles on about theory for often hours. Avoid this guy. It's sad that NVCC pays him.

12/24/2010
MTH291 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He is very strict in terms of grading that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get excellence on his quiz. But his exams are not that difficult but still, not easy, because he puts several concept questions that I have no idea how to answer. But I still managed to get A as a high school student. So he's not a terrible terrible teacher.

12/19/2010
MTH151 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I had him this semester for ELI MTH 151. He wasn't clear on his material. I would ask him how to solve question her would refer me to his website instead of answering my question. Very unforgiving. The worst ELI teacher I had.

12/15/2010
good
MTH277 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Goral is probably one of the best professors that I have had at NOVA. He really changed my study habits and I am really glad I took his class.

12/15/2010
good
MTH277 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A