Jeff Schiff at Columbia College Chicago

Jeff Schiff

Number of ratings 11 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

4/2/14

Business Writin

This class was horrible. I am a 4.0 student and have taken two previous writing classes of this sort. Jeff came off rude and condescending in hi emails and grading. I did not appreciate that, and was never given a up to par response as to why I got the grades on my assignments, even after emailing multiple drafts as he suggests. Very disappointed.

1/19/11

ENG2801

As a graduating senior, I did not want to take this Writing for the World Wide Web class. It promised to be a waste of time fulfilling another requirement. By the end of class, I felt differently. I learned stuff I will likely use in my professional life. Thanks, Jeff. You offered a challenging and valuable class.

11/24/10

shortstry

I took the online Short story class with Schiff. There is a lot of reading, a quiz and blog post every week. Those get old an tiresome and but they aren't difficult. I feel we could do without them. There are only 2-3 papers to write, all of which are also tedious. Only one was mildly interesting. He's a great guy, though.

4/28/10

EN3801

Had to take this class and wasn't expecting much. Got really interesting when we surveyed web sites and discussed the writing on each one. Discussions were valuable. No textbook. You must turn in your work on time. He won't accept late stuff. Lots of blogging. In my mind that's better than writing meaningless essays.

12/5/09

WFNM02

He's brilliant. You should definitely enjoy class discussions.

5/27/08

Eng1602

Took a while to get used to Jeff, but it was worth the work. He's not about having you spit back what you already know. He's about having you gain insight. He asks ten thousand questions. It is as if he's trying to learn at the same time he's teaching. I recommend him to anyone trying to make sense of the big picture through poetry or fiction.

4/1/07

poet01

Jeff is great. He's a tough yet fair grader...the sort of guy that just demands respect. Any class you take with him will be worth your while.

12/7/06

ENGL1602

I took him for Intro to Poetry. This guy cares. He may not be the easiest professor, but he knows what he's doing. I was in an early class - really dead. But he does everything he can to inspire people to get involved. If you actually care about the course and try, he can be a great professor.

5/26/05

poetry seminar

jeff is an intelligent, arrogant, funny professor. You need to take the work seriously. He doesn't teach workshops because he knows he would rip up your poems and tell you you suck.

9/14/04

speech 101

He's really funny and he makes a horrible class pretty entertaining.

4/29/04

Poetry

Rater Interest

Asks questions. Millions. Helps you unpack poems. Cares about students.

More English professors at Columbia College Chicago