Catherine Soussloff at University of California Santa Cruz

Catherine Soussloff

Number of ratings 30 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

6/16/11

ARTH300

She's the worst prof I've had at UBC. She doesn't teach (held 1st & last lectures; rest were guest lecturers); the TA was the actual one who taught us during tutorials. She gives you the lowest mark possible by crossing off the original mark the TA gave you & givin you two grades lower, yet the TA was the one who saw our progress thru out the term.

3/26/11

ARTH300

She is now a prof at UBC and teaches ARTH 300, a mandatory seminar for Art History majors. Her first time teaching this course she ignores advice from the TA who has worked this class many times before. Her assignments are unclear, and when asked to clarify she actually refuses. I now fear seeking guidance or asking for help.

6/28/09

HAVC10G

I could go on and on about how much I disliked this woman as a professor but i cant. She was extremely unhelpful, rude, and used every lecture only to show her own knowledge not share it with the students.She had a question&answer session 2 address student's concerns in the class& only used it to shoot down every concern&defend her harsh policies.

2/28/09

HAVC10G

A prof devoted to her subject, she expects a higher investment of time than high school, but that is to be expected, it's college. Per rudeness and preferences, she pretty much chastises the people who deserve it (phones ringing in class, falling asleep.) She clearly has a passion for the subject and makes it quite interesting.

12/17/08

HAVC10G

Might be the most useless professor at UCSC, she doesn't even know what a noun or an adverb is. I would never take another class with her and she makes the most ridiculous connections in art history I've ever hear of. She also breached academic policy and did not give us the whole time for the final. Terrible professor, UCSC should be ashamed.

12/5/08

HAVC10

Catherine Soussloff is by far the most egotistical, narcissistic teacher I have ever had class with. She teaches an introductory class, but expects absolute proficiency from her students. She won't answer questions unless they allow her to toot her own horn. Avoid her classes, if possible.

10/30/08

HAVC10G

One of the worst teachers I've ever had. The curriculum was terribly planned. We jumped from greek/roman art to Dan Koonst, a postmodern artist. I love art history and am probably going to major in it, but this class made me hate it. It is an introductory course and is made out to be a upper division simply because of the teacher's ego.

10/29/08

HAVC10G

currently taking this class. her lectures are bland, dis-engaging, and extremely dry. she reads from a paper she types up every lecture. just got done with the midterm couple days ago, and it was clear that we did not need to attend any lectures to take the midterm. however, she claims the finalwillbeonall lectures. sheis unapproachable/demeaning

7/7/08

HAVCHAVC

Cathy is a great professor. She supports and challenges serious students. Unfortunately many of my classmates prefer a lazy and ahistorical approach, repeating what they already believe. Cathy feels we must know what we are critiquing, but many students just don't want to work. Not an easy A. I think it speaks volumes that grad students LOVE her.

12/9/07

ARTHI320

This woman is an insecure, crazy manic depressive who has no business teaching. Her writing is horrendous and her teaching is even worse. Why did they give this woman tenure?

9/7/07

AHVC200

one of the best professors in the art history department

7/31/07

HAVC191M

I found Cathy exceptionally unprofessional. She derides absent students to those present, she openly mocks voiced opinions, and is agressive towards female students. In addition she firmly believes that success in the art history dept is impossible without her support. I suggest seeking out J. Gonzalez; D. Hunter; S. Kamehiro; etc.

3/20/07

HAVC168

She's very self centered, and demands way too much from every little aspect. Harsh, and not helpfull, plus, puts no effort toward office hours. Come on, two per week? I don't know what it is about her, but she's intimidating and unfriendly, and often hard to understand. I wouldn't take another class from her.

2/28/07

HiRenSECT

One of my favorite professors so far at UCSC, and not because shes nice and lovable and crap like that, but because shes way smart and knows her subject matter, and she makes you participate and learn and shes hard, but life is hard. The subject matter rocked and I really did learn. This class rocked!

10/5/06

arthi300

I loved Prof. Soussloff. I graduated from UCSC back in the 90's and took two classes with her. I thought that she was incredibly intelligent and interesting! She was always nice to me(I'm a woman)and helpful. She definitely went off on tangents, but I didn't mind.

12/9/05

all

She respects no one and no one respects her. Other professors in the department wish she was gone. Narcissistic - she will remind you daily that she is a FULL professor and you are so lucky to be taking a class with a FULL professor and not a lecturer. Please. She's crap.

12/2/05

HAVC 100A

11/16/05

HAVC100A

Cathy is simply a bad professor. She is manipulative, rude, condescending, and unfair. She harasses students and abuses her power. Anyone taking one of her courses will witness a blatant disregard for students' rights. I am literally ASHAMED that our university has not done something about this yet. If you're reading this, please do what you can.

9/4/05

Seminar

(Read below comments) Ditto. Not to mention her TA Lisa was horrible as well.

7/13/05

Seminar

I agree with all of these evals. Cathy is difficult, testy, egocentric, and very rude. It is for exactly these reasons she is not teaching at a place like Berkeley. I know she desperately wants UCSC to have a grad program--but if she intends to be DGS, the univeristy should pass. Bring down the ego Cathy, you aren't Harold Bloom.

More Art History professors at University of California Santa Cruz