Ana Burke at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)

Ana Burke

Number of ratings 55 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

4/5/14

SPA 202

Excellent professor. Very clear, friendly, and helpful, but also rigorous. Do not take unless you have a sincere interest in the subject, as she will expect you to do actual work.

12/26/13

SPA101

DO NOT TAKE!!!!!! She is a HORRIBLE teacher!!! If you miss more than 3 classes she will fail you on the year no matter what.

5/7/13

SPA 202

Profesora Burke is kind of challenging, but still an excellent instructor. I took her class before and I am glad I repeated. If you want to actually improve in Spanish, she is the professor for you.

12/19/12

SPA201

Professor Burke is one of the best Spanish professors I've ever had. She's very clear and makes Spanish easier to grasp. One bad thing is her tests are very short, so there isn't much room for error. But she's still great. Take her!

12/3/12

SPA201

Probably the best spanish teacher at NOVA. I have taken spanish for almost nine years and had some horrible and great teachers (it's my major). She's one of the best. She's really sweet, funny, friendly and helpful. All homework was online, we used the textbook every class, and the tests come right from what we do in class. I'm taking her again.

5/3/12

SPA202

One of my favorite teachers at NOVA! Extremely nice, laid back, and helpful. Take!

5/1/12

SPA102

Professor Burke was a great teacher! Very understandable, though she has a Spanish accent. Her tests were easy if you knew the content- mainly grammar focused, with a listening section. She is very helpful when you have questions and very kind-spirited. I got an A in her class.

9/26/11

SPAN101

Avoid. She cannot teach without the e-verson of the textbook. Complete waste of time attending the class because you're not learning anything from her. 35-40 homework assignments per week and that's the extent of your exposer to the language. Doesn't connect with the class.

9/26/11

spa101

she had no clue what she was doing and took it out on the class. she forced us to use some new website for the book and if it didnt work she told us to "call the publisher". the website taught us the wrong way to tell time since she didnt teach us herself then gives us lousy grades for it anyways. 32 hw assignments each week, every week. not joking

1/25/11

SPA101

Prof. Burke's class and tests were relatively easy. There were no tricks. She told us what would be covered on the test without spoon feeding us everything. I also liked how she told us how things were pronounced in Spain and in Central America. I wish I could take all my Spanish classes with her!!

12/16/10

SPA101

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. DO NOT TAKE if this is your first time taking a spanish class. Her tests are tricky. She does not tell you what you need to study. She'll review one thing and class, and the tests will be on a completely different thing. She is mean to the students she doesn't like. AVOID HER.

11/13/10

spani101

Counts off a lot for bad spelling. Has dictation on every test and she is difficult to understand.

10/13/10

SPA101

I really like Pro. Burke! She's very nice, but expects you to participate in class (which keeps me interested). She does somewhat of a lecture, but it's also interactive, which I like. Her tests aren't hard if you know the material fairly well. You have to apply yourself (which you should for any class). I'm going to take her for 102 next semester.

9/22/10

SPA101

She is very hard to understand when learning how to pronunciate. She went to Spain for a while so she knows what she is teaching, but I believe she has a lisp that gets in the way sometimes and makes understanding and interpreting a little tricky. I missed class and she would not let me make up a test, but did let me turn in the hw for late credit.

6/22/10

SPA102

Great teacher :) In high school I always did badly in my spanish classes and with her i got a B. She's not a super hard teacher but she doesn't feed you answers either. I'm not extremely studious and I managed. All you have to do is study a little bit and attend the classes and you will be fine.

12/30/09

SPA202

Prof. BUrke was a wonderful teacher. I am not of a Spanish Background and I still got a B in her class. I probably woud have gotten an A if I just applied myself.Find out her expectations and try your best. She's not going to hold your hand! But wait, when it comes to life...no one should hold your hand!

11/19/09

SPA202

The worst Spanish teacher I've ever had in my life. Her English isn't very clear and I had trouble finding success in her class. I saved my own skin by dropping out of her class. Not recommended unless you have an extremely strong Spanish background.

10/28/09

SPA101

I currently have her, and I cannot forget what she did to me! Midway through the semester I had aced all my tests and quizzes, NEVER missed a class, NEVER showed up late, and NEVER disrupted. I was there to learn. Well one day I was very sick, and forgot to "let her know", and I happened to miss a quiz, and guess what. I couldnt make it up.

10/27/09

SPA101

Great teacher! Attendance is mandatory, 5 absences and you get an F. Very smart, makes everything crystal clear, loves the students. Lots of homework, there's a quiz every few weeks. If you know your stuff, it's easy. Put in some effort and you'll do fine. Humorous teacher with lots of interactment, good learning environment.

7/12/09

SPA102

WHAT?! I can't believe the reviews. I am so glad I didn't read them or I never would have taken her class. I took Prof. Burke for a full semester and when she was out of the room everyone talked about the fact she is a great teacher. I don't know what class some of you took, but she is very sweet and helpful. She takes time to help & answer ?'s.

More Languages professors at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses)

1.9