Karl Idsvoog at Kent State University

Number of ratings 13 / Average Grade:  C Submit a correction

1/10/14

JMC-40004

Grade ReceivedC

I could go on and on about how Karl is just a bad professor, but he is actually very helpful if you go up to him and talk with him. He will irritate you on occasion, but for CAR, just be prepared to work hard.

2/27/13

JMC40004

Karl might be a good professor for broadcast students but he seems to hate print students. I was the only print student in his class and he proceeded to tell the other students how my desired profession was full of problems and idiots. He definitely shouldn't be teaching if he's that biased.

5/13/11

EditAvid

I had Karl for Editing with Avid. This class is incredibly easy and low-pressure. Basically, as long as you turn in your assignments, follow directions and don't piss him off, you get an A. Karl really helped me learn the Avid interface, and I appreciated his attitude about it all being a learning experience and not a pain-in-the-ass course.

4/5/11

Video002

This guy is probably the rudest person I've ever had the displeasure of being taught by. First of all, he doesn't really teach...he spends most of his time telling us how unprofessional we are and how we wont make it in the real world. He also heavily plays favorites and treats most students like they are incapable of doing anything.

2/5/11

News001

Karl is very intimidating at first, but his intentions are right on. I learned more from Karl in 1 semester than my entire 4 years at Kent State. Karl pushes you to be the best. Students think since they are students, they can slack off. If you are serious about being a journalist, you'll appreciate him. I successfully worked as a producer!

1/20/10

JMC4200

Believes in "tough love" style teaching. Too often it's over the top, and discourages some students from reaching their full potential.

12/13/09

VideoProd

Let me put it this way, for video field production class we went outside and got taught once in 16 weeks. I learned more technical and composition techniques from my basics class. Granted he does make you think outside of the box but HE SHOULD NOT TEACH VFP. He needs to stay in news. Also there is a difference between criticism and bashing...

7/17/09

hist101

6/26/08

jmcCAR

Yes, school is supposed to be hard, but there is absolutely NO reason to be a cruel as this man is to his students. Asking "What the f#@! are you talking about?" on your story proposals is way over the line. Whoever said he must have a pathetic personal life is dead on.

1/24/08

JMC3304

Karl is the best professor at Kent State University. He prepares students for the real world. Those who complain about Karl need to develop a thicker skin for the real world. He's training you to be a journalist, elevating your marketibility to employers and goes the extra mile to help those who work hard. A true professor... not a pointy-head.

1/23/08

JMC3304

Karl is a tough professor and you sissy ****s who can't handle it are going to get your asses handed to you in the real world. Karl cares about Journalism and I owe my entire career to the lessons I've learned under him. While you worthless students were complaining to Gary about Karl's classes...I went ahead and won an Emmy - thank you Karl.

9/28/07

tv post prod

Rude, disrespectful, pretentious snob. business guy and uncreative. Not conductive to students' imagination or creativity. Negative; has very little encouragement for students doing their own thing. I think he is a right wing capitalist pig that should not be teaching students. Video elitist jerk. He must have a pathetic personal life to fill with ego power and work. Everyone hates you for a reason.

9/22/05

Video Field Pro

Weak. Totally weak. This dude sucks.

More Journalism professors at Kent State University