in Portland State University that teach English Edit
at Portland State University, Portland, OR
are you Jennifer Ruth?

06/04/2014
good
ENG 597 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

I was fortunate enough to be in Jennifer Ruth's graduate level class, Psychoanalysis of Contemporary Literature back in the fall of 2008, after she invited me in while I was still an undergrad. That may be the best class I've ever taken part in, and I've since completed an MFA and am in a PhD program. She is wonderful, brilliant, and beautiful.

06/04/2014
good
ENG 587 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Jennifer Ruth is one of the smartest, most inspiring professors I've ever had the chance to learn from. Psychoanalysis of Contemporary Literature was such an incredible class, and she had enough faith in me in the fall of 2008 to invite me into a graduate level class while I was still an undergrad. She is wonderful, brilliant, and beautiful.

10/29/2013
good
ENG384 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

One of the best professors I have had here. Encouraging, intelligent, and able to stir conversation in an enlightening and enjoyable way. Not only does she provide a more complete understanding of the texts, she also helps students develop the skills to do so.

03/16/2013
good
Eng400 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The best, and my favorite English prof. at PSU: Dr. Ruth is intelligent, articulate, enthusiastic, personable and smokin' gorgeous too! Promptly responds to student concerns, flexible with assignments, and incredibly helpful and tactful if you really want to improve your work.

06/13/2012
good
Woolf1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

An amazing instructor. If you're concerned with getting a good grade, then write quality papers. If you're aiming to learn, she's a master. I took Woolf/Arendt and found her to be one of PSU's best.

02/28/2012
good
ENG385 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Ruth is potentially the best professor I've had. She tackles difficult material in an extremely accessible way and is willing to work with students to improve. She does more than surface-level analysis, which is more than most other English professors here, and is very friendly. Not frightening at all. Not an easy class, but very rewarding.

02/09/2012
good
Eng385 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Intelligent and enthusiastic. The structure of the class works well and each day discussion is engaging. I don't think she is tough but a rather fair grader.

01/04/2011
good
Eng000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Sat down with her about some concerns I had and she listened to them fully. I thought that she is very respectful and understood where I was coming from. Great as a dean for the English Department.

12/13/2010
eng001 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This person is the English Dept. Chair at PSU? ??? WTH?! If this is what represents the department what do we have as an example? A terrible teacher who is so stuck on herself that she can barely look to see to whom is speaking to her? What a sad state of affairs this school is in.

05/12/2010
Eng384 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Ruth is a miserable human being who has taken my love of literature and shoved it in the toilet. As Dept. Chair she is arrogant, loves to tell us she graduated from an Ivy League school (Brown) and that she's simply brilliant. Don't take a class from her. She's terrible.

03/15/2010
Eng000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Ruth is a mean spirited person who doesn't honor student's opinions and concerns. She's disrespectful, rude and condescending. I find it so disappointing that she is the Chair of the English dept. It is reflective of what and where the dept is headed and I am sad. She is a terrible teacher and is now leading a dept. Sad. Very sad

03/08/2006
ENG300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

A small fish thinking big thoughts in a small pond.

03/13/2005
Eng Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Intimidating teacher and 0 helpfulness. I was going to take Eng 300 with her but on the first day she threated students saying the class was super difificult. That is not the way you treat students, you as a teacher must be helpful and not threateing.

03/04/2005
ENG507 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Bright teacher and interesting material, but this seminar was like slow torture because she stifles dissenting voices. Very intimidating, almost vindictive temperament, if you say something that doesn't jive with her PC code. Isn't college the place of tolerance and all that? Not in this class.

02/13/2005
good
ENG 596 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Prof Ruth rocks. She is incredibly intelligent, a wonderful facilitator of discussion, and a great lecturer. Her class is one of the best I've had. Prepare to be amazed.

02/11/2005
good
ENG 596 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

A brilliant woman, enthusiastic and an excellent facilitator. In a cursory overview of theory, she did a good job relating one thinker to the next and encouraging understanding. One of my favorite profs of all time. (a lot of work, though)

08/29/2004
ENG 300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

08/23/2004
good
Eng300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

Professor Ruth is a font of wisdom. It is obvious she is a genius and a brilliant teacher. She made a difficult subject accessible. I admire her greatly.

06/10/2004
good
Eng 300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

I found Prof Ruth extremely smart, but willing to use common examples that helped me understand the concepts. Good sense of humor, too.

05/29/2004