in El Camino College that teach Music Edit
Hedley Nosworthy
Professor in the Music department
at El Camino College, Torrance, CA
are you Hedley Nosworthy?
11/06/2014
good
vocal training Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A
"There for you" "Amazing lectures" "Participation matters"

Lets put it this way. My daughter applied to a prestigious school of the arts, I taught her everything he taught me. I'm 52 now,he made that much of an impression. She was called back for a second audition - at the ripe old age of 11. If he saw his way clear to take private clients, I'd do it in a heartbeat for her audition this year.

08/16/2013
good
THTR 124 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

I studied with Prof. Nosworthy back in the 1990's - his lessons are still with me today. I appreciates his supportiveness and his directness -- "you'll never sing at the Met, but there's something there".

02/22/2013
good
Voice1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

If you want to be a better vocalist he is the man u got to look for . Professor nosworthy has extraordinary talents and gives comments on where u have to improve 2 thumbs up i mean i had a voice instructor before nothing compared to him.. His voice = world class

01/16/2013
good
voice2 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I took nosworthy's class for 3 years. He has helped me get over my stage fright and he also points out the places where one needs to improve in. As mean as it can be sometimes, it is true that even the people who do not believe they can sing learn how to sing. Overall he is an extraordinary professor, i would definetely reccomend him to others

12/15/2011
voice1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Only time you use book is for midterm/final. His teaching curriculum sucks !! We do the same thing all semester long. His subs are MUCH better than him. SALLY his piano-ist is horribly mean and always confuses students by cutting off certain parts of a song, which affects our grade when we mess up !! She definitely talks as if we'r stupid.

12/15/2011

Nosworthy points out every flaw you have & totally embarrass people who are LEARNING how to sing. Be prepared to be picked on. He is absolutely disorganized; he looses everything and he never knows where our stuff is. He blames it on his student aid. We dont have standard dated for tests, dont be surprised if you missed an unannounced test date.

11/29/2011
MUSI18AB Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

has great things to say regarding vocal technique but totally lost control over the class. He takes far too long taking roll and his vocal warmup has deteriorated into something sparse and laughable. Only two or three students sing per class period purely because of his poor time management. It's sad to see a great teacher come to this.

05/21/2011
good
MUSI19 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I've been a student of Professor Nosworthy's for a year now and I cannot believe the things some people have said about him, he has extraordinary talent and is always willing to help us all become better vocalists. He encourages diversity in the kind of songs we sing and he helps a lot as long as you try. I recommend him for any aspiring singers.

good
Voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

awesome teacher. funny, easy and helpful. cares about his students and is willing to help you even when he should probably be eating.

good
Voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He's a blast and I look forward to his class every week! He is one of my favorite teachers.He likes teaching students that are willing to become better singers.

good
Voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He absolutely cares for all of his students.He put as much effort into you and your voice and you put into the class.Tests are really easy. Basically gives you all the answers.

good

he is the Best teacher ever!!! He absolutely cares for all of his students. If you want singing as a career he wont be nice to you at all when your doing something wrong because he is not afraid to tell it like is and thats what I like about him because he is honest and very willing to help out side o class. Funny and and an easy A class.

01/03/2011
good
music18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great teacher - anyone who complains about a voice teacher objectively rating their singing ability needs to stop re-posting the same trash evaluation three times in a row. Cares about his students, and is a bargain compared to how expensive vocal lessons from a teacher of his caliber range.

12/14/2010
MUS18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Nosworthy is the most disrespectful and uncaring instructor I have ever had. It's upsetting that there are no other voice teachers at el camino. I tried to not let his hurtful comments get to me but its hard to ignore them when he trashes you so badly. It's difficult to get up and sing in front of the class, he makes it impossible. Fire him!

12/14/2010
Voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Nosworthy spent half the semester confused about his lesson plans and the other half making fun of people after they performed their songs. His comments are rarely constructive, he even mocks you while you're on stage and the rest of the class laughs. He's worse during office hours. He has favorites and helps them more. Demoralizing class

03/17/2010
voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

No respect for the students and the most ridiculous rules for the choice of repertoire! He told me I can't chose an aria because I knew it first from a recording. Most other people in his class sing songs learnt from recordings, but when I politely told him that, and had another person agree, he said "you're not in this class anymore"! Fire him!

02/14/2010
voice1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

he's nicer to boys than girls, you're required to buy the textbook he had written himself. the advice that i had gotten from him can be found on youtube voice lessons--it's not a formal education, but you can fix yourself if you are dedicated and open enough to improvement by recording yourself and practicing scales. thick head, not great but <okay

10/14/2009
good
voice1 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

If you are looking for a vocal teacher who has significant experience in singing, that would be Nosworthy! He has a genuine interest in helping anybody...whether you have a great voice or not. Also, he is very sarcastic so some people may misinterpret and take things too personally. I actually enjoyed his sense of humor! I strongly recommend him!

12/13/2008
good
MUSIC18 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

You will love to hate him. He will tease you, but it's worth it because he's a great teacher. He will make you improve. Here is a breakdown of his class: 4 performances at 50 pts each, 2 exams at 100 pts each, attendance at 100pts, 2 concert reports at 100pts each = 600 total pts. Many Extra Credit concert reports offered at 25 pts each! EASY A!

11/29/2008
good
Voice18ab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

If you're sensitive about your singing then think about taking another teacher because he can be blunt... sometimes he imitates your imperfections because he is "helping you". Honestly, I didn't greatly enjoy his company but I learned some important things from him. He does know what he is talking about. He also doesn't grade to bad. Think about it