James Willis at Sinclair Community College

James Willis

Number of ratings 34 / Average Grade:  C- Submit a correction

4/29/14

mat1440

Mr. Willis offered no explanation for what we were studying any given day. More often than not it was up to the student to teach themselves and only after all the students were left clueless would he give even the slightest of instruction. Worst class ever.

11/20/13

MAT2270

It is extremely difficult to do well. The class is set up where he gives you the jist of the lesson in 2 minutes and then gives you trick questions that are the exceptions to do as examples. Everyone just sits there clueless. He tries to help but he can't connect to the average student to get them to understand. Test reviews are unhelpful.

12/18/12

MAT1370

I am get very high grades normally but he is SUPER hard. He gives you the hardest version of questions on exams. The workload is ridiculous. I sometimes would spend 8 hours straight on one days worth of work and we had 3 days a week of hours and hours of work. He acted like he could care less. I am a 3.8 GPA student and I warn you, DO NOT TAKE HIM.

12/14/12

onlin265

I assue you I am a good student that works hard. I applied myself. This qualifies as my worst professor/text experience ever! He is NO help! Could care less. The text was horrible and full of errors and he did nothing to help with clarity. I spent many more than the required hours trying to pass. Test/quizzes were inconsistant.

11/13/12

Mat1114

Allied health math online course. Biggest problem with this class is the inconsistency between weekly quizzes and exams. Quizzes are 8-10 questions and you get 30 mins to do it and its multiple choice. Exams are about 40-50 or so questions and you get an hour. Questions are multiple choice, fill the blank with your answer and maybe T/F.

3/27/12

MAT114

This was a new course, and he did the best he could with faulty programming and print items. I thought he was very patient, and very helpful. He always seemed to have the time for any questions & explained thoroughly. This was the best grade I have ever earned in a math class.

1/18/12

MAT114

This is a new course at Sinclair so obviously there are some kinks, but the professor seems to be pretty flexible and is doing the best he can.

8/12/11

Math101

Unless one is exceptionally good in math, this class is was way too difficult and Mr. Willis didn't seem to want to help. I ended opening more than the 16 hours a week the instructor said to expect and even when I invested in a tutor, I couldn't keep up. I won't take any more math until I get a tutor lined up before class starts.

8/3/11

MAT203

I have a feeling that a lot of the folks rating this professor poorly did not apply the appropriate effort to the material. He is not an easy professor but he is fair and I found him to be extremely accommodating. I missed about three weeks of class for military duty. He provided assignments in advance and accepted them on email while I was out.

7/29/11

mat101

first alot of the people commenting about his online class apparently dont know how to use my math lab yes the questions on the homework is blocked but if you use the tutor option it is easy. if i miss a homework he has been wiling to adjust the deadline for me to make it up and his test cover exactly what we learned. i reccomend him for online

4/25/11

MAT202

He is not very clear in explanations. The harder the material gets, the faster he looses the class. He's rather monotone and goes in to a lot of theory rather than application. However, the homework counts colletively for a test grade which is a nice way to boost your grade. He's an easy grader and is generous with partial credit on tests.

11/25/10

MAT102

He is the worst math teacher! I don't recommend taking him. He seems nice enough but he talks extremely fast and has an annoying voice. We had 5 hours a week of lectures plus far too much online math homework AND paper homework AND difficult online quizzes every week. His tests are extremely difficult. He covers too much material too quickly.

11/11/10

math101

Was not a nice teacher. Took his online class. He was not helpful. When I asked for help he asid he was to busy. Online problems were all blocked so never knew what you did wrong would just have to redo the work. Never take him.

11/11/10

mat101

HATE HATE HATED this teacher. He was anything but helpful. I took his class online and struggled all the way threw it. He was worthless if you needed help from him. He may be different in a classroom setting, but when I asked for help becasue I didn't know if I was going to pass, he recommend I take an easier class. I passed but no thanks to him.

10/8/10

MATH201

So far, an AMAZING professor! As long as you pay attention and do ALL of the recommended problems, there's NO reason to not get an A. I seriously don't understand what everyone is complaining about. I'm very happy I didn't pay attention to all the negative reviews!

9/28/10

mth102

He is not a very nice teacher. And hes super hard and just not nice at all...for one, he doesn't tell you when anything is due, he goes over new material BEFORE you take a test for the old material and toooooo much homework!! I dont even have time for my other classes!!! Never take him!!!!!!!!

3/22/10

MAT101

WAY to much homework!! 4 units of carnegie, 20 math lab homework, 20 math lab quiz, Daily paper homework, 3 Test(one 2 days before the final"kinda dumb") And then a final. To much work for a overall C after all those confusing test.

8/20/09

MATH05

He is a very smart and a great professor. I learned a lot. He is not easy, however, if you want to learn take him. If you reach out to him, he will help you anytime.

12/6/08

MAT101

Prof. Willis is super nice and really helpful if you take the time to ask him. I took the new class that uses Carnegie, an online learning system, but you still attend class too. Didn't know what i was getting into and didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. He has messy handwriting and talks super fast, but just ask and he will slow it down

8/27/08

MAT101

Took the online course. This was the first math class I got an A in. Maybe it's the online math system, but I finally got it. It took TONS of time working the arithrimetic without a calculator that I think would have been better spent learning the theory/process, but... I adapted. Tests were challenging but not impossible.

More Mathematics professors at Sinclair Community College