Yury Ionin at Central Michigan University

Yury Ionin

Number of ratings 71 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

1/19/11

mth132

I had Dr. Ionin for college geometry and Linear Algebra. I graduated in 1994 with a Degree in Mathematics/Education. At that time he was very helpful and by far one of the better Mathematics professors at CMU

8/10/08

MTH132

I enjoyed this class. It is not an easy class, Calc is hard, it takes nightly work. If you put in the time for this class you will get a decent grade. The only problem is this man is to smart and sometimes has trouble explaining it in a way that everyone can understand. However he has a lot of compassion for Math.

1/18/08

MTH132

This class was hard and I had taken it in high school and totally did not understand his teaching. I do not advise anyone to take this class. Many many people dropped the class.

1/13/08

MTH132

I hated his class. He's an alright guy, but an awful teacher. Don't take his class... trust me.

12/18/07

MTH133

This man's goal is not to help students learn a difficult subject, but to keep the students who can't survive his impossible exam questions and merciless grading method from advancing in their education. Quote: "...it will be my duty for humanity, because we won't have to be poisoned by some medicine you produce." The university owes me $1000.

12/14/07

MTH132

Professor Ionin is an incredibly intelligent man. I found him to be an excellent educator. The class isn't the easiest, but you definitely learn the material. He has a slight Russian accent, which you get used to after a couple classes. He is always available for help and is clear about what he wants on quizzes and exams. Do the homework!

10/17/07

mth132

I thought he was actually a very good teacher. He told us exactly what he wanted to see on the tests and quizzes, and told us what he did not want to see. His quizzes were very easy, the questions are straight from the homework and you can use it on the quizzes. The exams were basically like the review he gives in class. Very good teacher.

8/20/07

MTH523

It was extremely difficult. I could not keep up with him. I am a pretty good student, and this class was impossible. I was forced to Withdrawl from it, when I have never done that before. He goes through things WAY too quickly and does a terrible job of explaining things when you ask him. Try to take this with somebody else.

12/11/06

mth132

He is very smart... but hes to smart to be teaching this class... doesn't explain anything... grades very hard... only have pop quizes and 3 exams..

12/4/06

MTH132

I could write a term paper on how bad of a teacher this guy is. I don't know how this guy still has a job here at Central from all these bad ratings. Central must not read these comments.

11/6/06

mAth133

Terrible with a capital T. Does not explain anything, and for calc 2 that was the death of most of the students in the class. He told the entire class that they would fail because of one poor quiz. Take him, and you will probably fail. I am a centralis student, and it was ridiculous.

10/31/06

mth133

5/1/06

This man is cruel.

4/21/06

MTH 133

Simply does not explain the material well enough in a class, Calculus II, that is probably the toughest class college has to offer. He is nice, treats students with repect and means well, but just is not suited to teach undergraduate calc. classes. avoid at all costs.

3/30/06

MTH

This guy sucks, all I have to say.

3/13/06

MTH 132H

Terrible! He is extremely hard to understand, refuses to help on certian questions, will give pop quizzes from the homework from the previous night without answering your questions about it. Overall, the worst math experience i've ever gone through! FYI, before this I was very gifted in math, took Calc my junior year in HS! and i got a D with him

2/21/06

MTH 133

Big Y is very very difficult. Math was difficult in the motherland. If you try hard he will have compassion.

2/12/06

MTH 133

This class is by far the most difficult i have ever taken. He is clearly a very smart man (while we have caught his making mistakes a few times now) but it is ridiculous for him to expect us to pick up the material as quickly as he would. He is remarkably stingy about giving partial credit and takes off mass amounts of points for small errors

2/5/06

MTH132H

I was a straight A student before his Calc 1 class and I'm in his Calc 2 now. He's insanly hard/ accent is ok. I guess it was hard in Russia, so he enforces those standards on us. He's bitter about giving partial credit, and really stresses the fundamentals. DO NOT forget limit signs, etc. Hard, but managable if u spend at least 2 hrs/ night.

11/23/05

MTH 132

Its a fast paced class. He is a very smart guy and he sometimes expects you to be just as smart as he is. The first day he came in and said that only 1-5 of us would get an A, 1-5 would get a B, there would be some C's and the rest would be D's and E's... There were 50 of us in the class at the start and by the end there were only 23.

More Mathematics professors at Central Michigan University