Avron Kulak at York University

Avron Kulak

Number of ratings 26 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

6/17/13

HUMA1840A

Funny ratings option as my interest level was "obsessed" prior to class :) Avron is a great professor & very patient with questions or concerns. I found some texts hard to read critically but they've opened my mind to enjoy and imrove my writing skills. His TA's were great too, all very helpful. I hope to cross paths with Avron through the halls!

6/16/13

HUMA 1840

This class changed my life. He puts feeling into everything he teaches and says. He sometimes comes across as annoyed or frustrated but I think it is because he feels so strongly for the material, and hopes that we will feel the same. He knows things we may not know yet, and is willing to share. DO THE READINGS if you want to feel comfortable

3/17/13

HUMA1840

This course is CHALLENGING. Your mark consists of four essays at 25% each and you definitely need to have a thorough understanding of the texts to complete them. As for Avron, he seems like a sweet man, but he can honestly come across as being a bit rude and dismissive if you say something he doesn't agree with. Not one of my favourite Profs.

7/16/11

huma1840

Don't take this class unless you plan on reading all of the books. Your grade is based off four essays, which you can rewrite, but the books can be tough and it's basically mandatory to read all of them. The reviews for me were a bit of a letdown...I felt like he was trying to be nice but was easily annoyed.

6/10/11

HUMA1840

One of the kindest and most intelligent people I've ever met. A real gem. Take his course(s) if you get a chance; you'll be glad you did.

8/7/07

HUMA1110

Avron is simply amazing. Insightful, philosophical, and engaging! I went to every tutorial - it wasn't even mandatory..great learning experience, great man, wonderful teacher! Made York a memorable learning experience hands down :)

5/22/07

HUMA1840

amazing professor and ta. very intelligent and clear in his explanations. very inspirational with a great character.

3/20/07

HUMA1840

Avron is the sweetest man. He is extremely helpful and clear in giving explanations, I'd even say he's a fairly easy marker. I can't believe anyone would have anything bad to say about this man - he is the greatest teacher I have ever had, and, I'm afraid, will never have again.

10/22/06

HUMA1110

Seemed more like a prayer circle than a university class. Has interesting insight and interpretations but is a tad authoritarian about them. Tries desperately hard to extract meaning from every little thing. If you don't believe the bible, he'll make you, or else.

9/17/06

HUM1010

At first I was not that interested in taking the course, but once a few weeks went by, i was amazed at how Avron really makes you think and be critical of the texts we read. By far, the best prof I've had so far. Even though I no longer go to York, or live in Ontario, I would really like to chat with him again!

4/17/06

HUMA 1110

he was my ta for this class, and he does have a beautiful soul. i don't understand people who felt he didn't allow them to have a different point of view. taking this class changed my way of looking at the world.

4/13/06

Huma 1840

Avron is a great teacher for the literature within this course. Watch out though because he will act as if all the writers are good little humanists and he will try to make you into one too.

3/31/06

Dr. avron is an amazing prof. at first I was so confused at first because the texts are difficult, but it is unbelievable how much you learn in this course, he is wonderful and thinks so eloquently...make sure you do your essays in time since there are no deadlines, that could be your worst enemy if you can't time manage.

3/31/06

HUMA 1840

Takes wonderful books and reads his ideas into them. Tells you what to think, then expects essays confirming his point of view. Alternative ideas are ignored or dismissed. Highly disappointing to see this style of teaching in a modern university.

6/20/05

HUMA 1840

at first i was confused with prof kulak's class, but once i started to get it i learned a great deal which has been useful for me in other courses. it was a profoundly interesting class, with a very cool prof. prof kulak is also a very kind man whom i like a great deal.

6/15/05

4/5/05

HUMA 1840

I don't know what Avron did to the previous raters after class, but I wasn't feeling his teaching method at all... most of the time I was either bored to death, or frustrated because he wouldn't accept an alternate interpretation to his own. Not a HORRIBLE prof, but I wasn't crazy about him.

3/29/05

HUMA 1840

He's got the most beautiful soul :)

2/26/05

HUMA

Avron has a very unique style of teaching, he thinks so profoundly its awesome. He's very nice and helpful. I wasn't very interested in taking this class at the beginning, but the knowledge i gained from this class changed my life. Avron is a hottie.

1/11/05

HUMA 1840

Give a man a fish,he eats for the day,teach him to fish,he eats for a lifetime-Avron taught me to fish.I feel his influence(every day)even now trying to rate him-false distinction between hard/easy,clear/unclear,"I take it that the distinction is between hard/hard,easy/easy-between clear/clear,etc."

More Humanities professors at York University