in York University that teach Humanities Edit
at York University, Toronto, ON
are you Avron Kulak?

06/17/2013
good
HUMA1840A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Funny ratings option as my interest level was "obsessed" prior to class :) Avron is a great professor & very patient with questions or concerns. I found some texts hard to read critically but they've opened my mind to enjoy and imrove my writing skills. His TA's were great too, all very helpful. I hope to cross paths with Avron through the halls!

06/16/2013
good
HUMA 1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class changed my life. He puts feeling into everything he teaches and says. He sometimes comes across as annoyed or frustrated but I think it is because he feels so strongly for the material, and hopes that we will feel the same. He knows things we may not know yet, and is willing to share. DO THE READINGS if you want to feel comfortable

03/17/2013
good
HUMA1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

This course is CHALLENGING. Your mark consists of four essays at 25% each and you definitely need to have a thorough understanding of the texts to complete them. As for Avron, he seems like a sweet man, but he can honestly come across as being a bit rude and dismissive if you say something he doesn't agree with. Not one of my favourite Profs.

07/16/2011
huma1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Don't take this class unless you plan on reading all of the books. Your grade is based off four essays, which you can rewrite, but the books can be tough and it's basically mandatory to read all of them. The reviews for me were a bit of a letdown...I felt like he was trying to be nice but was easily annoyed.

06/10/2011
good
HUMA1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

One of the kindest and most intelligent people I've ever met. A real gem. Take his course(s) if you get a chance; you'll be glad you did.

08/07/2007
good
HUMA1110 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Avron is simply amazing. Insightful, philosophical, and engaging! I went to every tutorial - it wasn't even mandatory..great learning experience, great man, wonderful teacher! Made York a memorable learning experience hands down :)

05/22/2007
good
HUMA1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

amazing professor and ta. very intelligent and clear in his explanations. very inspirational with a great character.

03/20/2007
good

Avron is the sweetest man. He is extremely helpful and clear in giving explanations, I'd even say he's a fairly easy marker. I can't believe anyone would have anything bad to say about this man - he is the greatest teacher I have ever had, and, I'm afraid, will never have again.

10/22/2006
good
HUMA1110 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Seemed more like a prayer circle than a university class. Has interesting insight and interpretations but is a tad authoritarian about them. Tries desperately hard to extract meaning from every little thing. If you don't believe the bible, he'll make you, or else.

09/17/2006
good
HUM1010 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

At first I was not that interested in taking the course, but once a few weeks went by, i was amazed at how Avron really makes you think and be critical of the texts we read. By far, the best prof I've had so far. Even though I no longer go to York, or live in Ontario, I would really like to chat with him again!

04/17/2006
good
HUMA 1110 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

he was my ta for this class, and he does have a beautiful soul. i don't understand people who felt he didn't allow them to have a different point of view. taking this class changed my way of looking at the world.

04/13/2006
good
Huma 1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Avron is a great teacher for the literature within this course. Watch out though because he will act as if all the writers are good little humanists and he will try to make you into one too.

03/31/2006
good
1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Dr. avron is an amazing prof. at first I was so confused at first because the texts are difficult, but it is unbelievable how much you learn in this course, he is wonderful and thinks so eloquently...make sure you do your essays in time since there are no deadlines, that could be your worst enemy if you can't time manage.

03/31/2006
HUMA 1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Takes wonderful books and reads his ideas into them. Tells you what to think, then expects essays confirming his point of view. Alternative ideas are ignored or dismissed. Highly disappointing to see this style of teaching in a modern university.

06/20/2005
good
HUMA 1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

at first i was confused with prof kulak's class, but once i started to get it i learned a great deal which has been useful for me in other courses. it was a profoundly interesting class, with a very cool prof. prof kulak is also a very kind man whom i like a great deal.

06/15/2005

Yuck.

04/05/2005

I don't know what Avron did to the previous raters after class, but I wasn't feeling his teaching method at all... most of the time I was either bored to death, or frustrated because he wouldn't accept an alternate interpretation to his own. Not a HORRIBLE prof, but I wasn't crazy about him.

03/29/2005
good

He's got the most beautiful soul :)

02/26/2005
good
HUMA Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Avron has a very unique style of teaching, he thinks so profoundly its awesome. He's very nice and helpful. I wasn't very interested in taking this class at the beginning, but the knowledge i gained from this class changed my life. Avron is a hottie.

01/11/2005
HUMA 1840 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Give a man a fish,he eats for the day,teach him to fish,he eats for a lifetime-Avron taught me to fish.I feel his influence(every day)even now trying to rate him-false distinction between hard/easy,clear/unclear,"I take it that the distinction is between hard/hard,easy/easy-between clear/clear,etc."