in University of British Columbia that teach English Edit
Erika Paterson
at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
are you Erika Paterson?

07/19/2014
Engl 470a Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Erika is a very nice person, and easily accessible. My previous post was removed not sure why. This course was interesting and I liked the journaling work and the ability to be creative. However it was very confusing at times. Maybe as it was the first time she taught it online. The group project was very annoying.

05/23/2014
ENGL 112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: A

You know a class is going to be bad when you're encouraged to donate to charities and like videos the professor is involved in: totally inappropriate, given the student-teacher dynamic. Came away with a decent grade, but I would suggest avoiding her, if you can. Surprised her rating is so high when quality of instruction was so low. Learned little.

01/07/2014
ENGL 112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is a nice person and you can tell she cares about her students, but she is terribly disorganized. People were asking how we should prepare for the exam and she pretty much refused to answer. And, for our research papers, she would constantly change criteria. It was very confusing but otherwise she tried to make the class interesting.

01/10/2012
good
ENGL112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Her class is really boring and tedious in the first half of the term, but the research teams and papers were quite interesting because Dr Paterson allows you to write and speak about things that interest you. As long as you keep up with the daily assignments (which I did not, and it hurt me in the end) you should do very well.

01/03/2012
good
Engl112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

An awesome professor! She uses a different teaching style from many other profs but I thought it was quite effective. She makes concepts easy to understand and was quite willing to go over concepts again if needed. Also, I found her very helpful and a fair marker.

12/20/2011
eng112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

i find some of the comments she makes somewhat disturbing? and what's up with her trying to promote her clubs?and trying to force us into donating our money for her gain?and telling us to rate her positively in those feedback things? and asking us to nominate her for some award?SERIOUSLY?

12/20/2011

doesn't teach any english-related things at all.. her classes are all unrelated to what we should be learning. she's also biased and tends to single people out.

11/08/2011
ENG112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This is the hardest course I ever took. She is very bias toward her favourite student. She also doesn't explain the concept well while giving out a lot of hw that requires you to know these concept. Not a good teacher to have if you want to actually learn english

04/08/2011
good
engl112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great class - we had a lot of fun and I think I am a better writer today - actually, i should say today I know how to write like a scholar!

04/08/2011
good
engl227 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Reading the comments below, I guess you'd have to say it depends on what kind of 'learner' you are - I loved the opportunity to explore and research indepth with withou all the normal constratints - and I thoguht the facebook page was brilliant way to expand on class room discussions - for me this course was amazing - I learned a lot!