in University of British Columbia that teach English Edit
Erika Paterson
at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
are you Erika Paterson?

07/19/2014
Engl 470a Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

Erika is a very nice person, and easily accessible. My previous post was removed not sure why. This course was interesting and I liked the journaling work and the ability to be creative. However it was very confusing at times. Maybe as it was the first time she taught it online. The group project was very annoying.

05/23/2014
ENGL 112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: A

You know a class is going to be bad when you're encouraged to donate to charities and like videos the professor is involved in: totally inappropriate, given the student-teacher dynamic. Came away with a decent grade, but I would suggest avoiding her, if you can. Surprised her rating is so high when quality of instruction was so low. Learned little.

01/07/2014
ENGL 112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is a nice person and you can tell she cares about her students, but she is terribly disorganized. People were asking how we should prepare for the exam and she pretty much refused to answer. And, for our research papers, she would constantly change criteria. It was very confusing but otherwise she tried to make the class interesting.

01/10/2012
good
ENGL112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Her class is really boring and tedious in the first half of the term, but the research teams and papers were quite interesting because Dr Paterson allows you to write and speak about things that interest you. As long as you keep up with the daily assignments (which I did not, and it hurt me in the end) you should do very well.

01/03/2012
good
Engl112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

An awesome professor! She uses a different teaching style from many other profs but I thought it was quite effective. She makes concepts easy to understand and was quite willing to go over concepts again if needed. Also, I found her very helpful and a fair marker.

12/20/2011
eng112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

i find some of the comments she makes somewhat disturbing? and what's up with her trying to promote her clubs?and trying to force us into donating our money for her gain?and telling us to rate her positively in those feedback things? and asking us to nominate her for some award?SERIOUSLY?

12/20/2011

doesn't teach any english-related things at all.. her classes are all unrelated to what we should be learning. she's also biased and tends to single people out.

11/08/2011
ENG112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This is the hardest course I ever took. She is very bias toward her favourite student. She also doesn't explain the concept well while giving out a lot of hw that requires you to know these concept. Not a good teacher to have if you want to actually learn english

04/08/2011
good
engl112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great class - we had a lot of fun and I think I am a better writer today - actually, i should say today I know how to write like a scholar!

04/08/2011
good
engl227 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Reading the comments below, I guess you'd have to say it depends on what kind of 'learner' you are - I loved the opportunity to explore and research indepth with withou all the normal constratints - and I thoguht the facebook page was brilliant way to expand on class room discussions - for me this course was amazing - I learned a lot!

04/07/2011
good
ENGL227 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Erika is a very nice person, and she's obviously passionate about what she teaches. However, I disliked the lack of structure. My final exam essay was HORRIBLE because the concepts we learn are so vague. And I dislike the use of facebook discussions, I prefer in class participation.

04/06/2011
eng227 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

although its easy to sit thru her class and it wont make u fall asleep, u wont rly learn anything either. i never know wth shes talkin about in lecture. i actually wanted an english class where they analyze pieces with u cuz i wouldnt learn that elsewhere. no actual EDITED textbooks..just her own notes/ideas. has spelling/grammar issues sometimes

04/06/2011

Does not use textbooks; required reading is her blog, which I find to be all over the place and hard to learn from. You need to be an active learner, and she lets students take control of the projects, with no clear expectation of what to explore.Discussion on facebook(25%!!!), so not good if you're shy;better for the obnoxious ppl in eng.classes

04/06/2011
Engl227 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

As a person, she's wonderful, engaging, and approachable. But I'm still not sure if she is the best fit for an english teacher. Her background is in film/directing/theatre, and its obvious in what she focuses on in teaching. Definitely not a class for those who like or are used to structure. She's a very free person and goes with the flow

01/10/2011
good
ENGL112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Very helpful teacher! She cares a lot about all her students.

12/24/2010
good
engl112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

A fun class with a lot of work but Erika works to make it better then the other 112 classes. You can't choice your 112 class, so if you get her you are lucky.

12/21/2010

I agree - Best prof I've had so far

12/21/2010
good
ENGL112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

GREAT TEACHER

12/15/2010
good
ENG112 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Erika is one of the best English teachers I ever had! Her idea of using google doc to access student's teacher is brilliant. Her class is fun and informative. She is also nice and helpful when u go to her.

12/15/2010
good

Most useful class I had all semester. Erika was able to connect the course material to the real world, allowing each of us to explore our own interests while simultaneously learning new skills. Her teaching style is very fluid, and if you don't understand something - she is very approachable and willing to make time for you outside of class.