Erika Paterson at University of British Columbia

Erika Paterson

Number of ratings 85 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

7/19/14

Engl 470a

Erika is a very nice person, and easily accessible. My previous post was removed not sure why. This course was interesting and I liked the journaling work and the ability to be creative. However it was very confusing at times. Maybe as it was the first time she taught it online. The group project was very annoying.

5/23/14

ENGL 112

You know a class is going to be bad when you're encouraged to donate to charities and like videos the professor is involved in: totally inappropriate, given the student-teacher dynamic. Came away with a decent grade, but I would suggest avoiding her, if you can. Surprised her rating is so high when quality of instruction was so low. Learned little.

1/7/14

ENGL 112

She is a nice person and you can tell she cares about her students, but she is terribly disorganized. People were asking how we should prepare for the exam and she pretty much refused to answer. And, for our research papers, she would constantly change criteria. It was very confusing but otherwise she tried to make the class interesting.

1/10/12

ENGL112

Her class is really boring and tedious in the first half of the term, but the research teams and papers were quite interesting because Dr Paterson allows you to write and speak about things that interest you. As long as you keep up with the daily assignments (which I did not, and it hurt me in the end) you should do very well.

1/3/12

Engl112

An awesome professor! She uses a different teaching style from many other profs but I thought it was quite effective. She makes concepts easy to understand and was quite willing to go over concepts again if needed. Also, I found her very helpful and a fair marker.

12/20/11

eng112

i find some of the comments she makes somewhat disturbing? and what's up with her trying to promote her clubs?and trying to force us into donating our money for her gain?and telling us to rate her positively in those feedback things? and asking us to nominate her for some award?SERIOUSLY?

12/20/11

eng112

doesn't teach any english-related things at all.. her classes are all unrelated to what we should be learning. she's also biased and tends to single people out.

11/8/11

ENG112

This is the hardest course I ever took. She is very bias toward her favourite student. She also doesn't explain the concept well while giving out a lot of hw that requires you to know these concept. Not a good teacher to have if you want to actually learn english

4/8/11

engl112

Great class - we had a lot of fun and I think I am a better writer today - actually, i should say today I know how to write like a scholar!

4/8/11

engl227

Reading the comments below, I guess you'd have to say it depends on what kind of 'learner' you are - I loved the opportunity to explore and research indepth with withou all the normal constratints - and I thoguht the facebook page was brilliant way to expand on class room discussions - for me this course was amazing - I learned a lot!

4/7/11

ENGL227

Erika is a very nice person, and she's obviously passionate about what she teaches. However, I disliked the lack of structure. My final exam essay was HORRIBLE because the concepts we learn are so vague. And I dislike the use of facebook discussions, I prefer in class participation.

eng227

although its easy to sit thru her class and it wont make u fall asleep, u wont rly learn anything either. i never know wth shes talkin about in lecture. i actually wanted an english class where they analyze pieces with u cuz i wouldnt learn that elsewhere. no actual EDITED textbooks..just her own notes/ideas. has spelling/grammar issues sometimes

eng227

Does not use textbooks; required reading is her blog, which I find to be all over the place and hard to learn from. You need to be an active learner, and she lets students take control of the projects, with no clear expectation of what to explore.Discussion on facebook(25%!!!), so not good if you're shy;better for the obnoxious ppl in eng.classes

Engl227

As a person, she's wonderful, engaging, and approachable. But I'm still not sure if she is the best fit for an english teacher. Her background is in film/directing/theatre, and its obvious in what she focuses on in teaching. Definitely not a class for those who like or are used to structure. She's a very free person and goes with the flow

1/10/11

ENGL112

Very helpful teacher! She cares a lot about all her students.

12/24/10

engl112

A fun class with a lot of work but Erika works to make it better then the other 112 classes. You can't choice your 112 class, so if you get her you are lucky.

12/21/10

I agree - Best prof I've had so far

12/21/10

GREAT TEACHER

12/15/10

ENG112

Erika is one of the best English teachers I ever had! Her idea of using google doc to access student's teacher is brilliant. Her class is fun and informative. She is also nice and helpful when u go to her.

12/15/10

ENGL112

Most useful class I had all semester. Erika was able to connect the course material to the real world, allowing each of us to explore our own interests while simultaneously learning new skills. Her teaching style is very fluid, and if you don't understand something - she is very approachable and willing to make time for you outside of class.

More English professors at University of British Columbia