in Kent State University that teach Languages Edit
at Kent State University, Kent, OH
are you Richard Berrong?

10/23/2014
good
FR33335 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tough Grader" "Get ready to read" "Participation matters"

I love watching the shell shocked faces of newbies in his classes. Dr. Berrong is a character. Participation and SPEAKING UP are very important unless you want him to make fun of you and sick your grade. Don't give him substandard work because he will tear it apart (all in the name of making you better off course). He's hilarious and knowledgeable.

12/01/2011
good
Frch3000 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Berrong is one of the best professors you can get if you want to learn french. I had him for Composition, Theatre, and Novel and I learned loads every semester. He is not easy. Expect to really become involved in his classes. If you do that, and express a desire to learn, then you have nothing to be afraid of. He really is a true professor.

04/30/2011
good
FREN1026 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I had Dr. Berrong for French Conv. I must say, he's definitely not the easiest professor you'll have, but he's not heartless. It's hard to get an A in this class, even if you do speak French well. He isn't going to let mistakes slide--that's the entire point of the class. I'm a French major. It wasn't easy, but I learned a lot from this class.

04/11/2011

This is for students who might have him for french conversation. He is the worst teacher I've had the misfortune of being assigned under. His grading methods are abysmal, they are based solely on an derived scale rather than a representation on one's ability to hold a conversation in French. Run not walk from this professor. ps I love french!

12/15/2010
good
US101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He taught First Year Experience. He made orientation class fun by teaching about Monet. He was patient and willing to answer any questions we had and tell us why the University has certain policies, etc. He is very funny and did his best to bring out the artists in us. I wish I were taking French so I could have more classes with him!

01/14/2010
good
FRComp Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I had a great experience in this class. You can tell he's really passionate about the subject matter and he will go over grammar points or a scene in the story as many times as it takes for everyone to understand. He does expect a lot, but if you put a decent amount of effort into the course you should do well.

12/11/2009
good
FRComp Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class(French Composition)may seem like a lot to take in at the beginning of the semester, but it gets easier as you go. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it; he wants his students to do well, but he makes them earn their grade. It's not an easy A, it's a commitment. It's an overall great class and your writing skills will improve!

05/21/2009
FR001 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

French Composition is not for the faint of heart when he's teaching. This class will basically take over your life! There is so much work, and expectations are very high! Sometimes Berrong is, simply put, mean, but you'll learn from this class, though you have to be thick skinned. My advice is to take easy classes if you take french comp!

05/04/2009
FRNOV001 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Berrong is a very good teacher and knows a lot about what he teaches. He is expects a lot and requires hard work but,he is not very helpful, nor does he give the feeling that he cares about his students. I find his style of teaching not helpful and very boring. The only French teacher i've had that has made me hate French sometimes.

05/13/2008
good
FrConv Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

If you don't like to speak up then you will fail this class. Prof Berrong is an excellent teacher though he can be a little odd. The quizzes on the interviews are easy if you pay attention in class. The questions he asks in class repeatedly are on the quiz. Make sure to prepare a lot of questions for the teleconversations.

05/13/2008
good
Frcomp Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Prof Berrong isn't one of those professors who wants to be your buddy, but he's a good teacher. He knows what he's talking about so listen. This class involves a lot of outside work, but if you just do it, it'll pay off. You'll leave this class with a much stronger command of the french language.

12/07/2007
FR3323 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

this man made my life in hell.I lived a year in France before coming to kent as a Freshman, & i love(d) French.after 6 wks of french composition hell I withdrew from his class bc he doesn't explain anything at all well. He is not understanding, not helpful, and he will rip your work apart and leave you hating the language. AVOID HIM AT ALL COST!!

12/07/2005
good
French Comp Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Berrong is quirky, but a good teacher. He believes in making students earn their grades, so expect to work hard, but he is fair. Don't drop the class just because it's hard at the beginning - it gets easier. Going to office hours really helps on the essays. I have learned more from Dr. Berrong than from any other professor at this university.

12/07/2005
good
French Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He is easily one of the best professors I've had at KSU for several reasons. He is an honest grader who will attach extra pages to a composition just to clarify his remarks as much as possible. He is cognizant of all things pertinent to the subject matter. If you take his class, your writing ability will improve.

09/26/2005
French comp Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He is a really hard grader and, not very understanding. He will tear your papers apart when grading them. He gives a lot of homework, so be prepared to spend all of your time doing french if you take this class

01/28/2005
good
Fr Composition Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

A very difficult class, at times a little excessive on the homework. But I learned more from this class than from any other French class I've taken. Greatly improved my grammar skills.

10/23/2004
French Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

09/20/2004
Fench cmp. Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

There is so much homework in this course. Be prepared to dedicate hours a day if you take this class. You learn a lot, and your french definitely improves, but he is a hard grader and not always understanding when you dont pick things up right away.